Longarmwj builds a JKU

longarmwj

It's a shitty picture, but after a few hours of profanity, alcohol, head scratching, and consulting YouTube, the top is on. Holy shit I've never struggled with any automotive related project so much. I gotta let it bake in the sun tomorrow at work so I can get the final bits stretched fully how they need to go, but I love the look. Next up is skid plates and crossmember, and a CB system.
IMG_1543.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

Well today was a super boring day, but I wanted to do something to the Jeep. I came across an old can of Rustolium Lens Tint and figured why the hell not. Since my theme is Black and Tan, why not black out the tail lights and third brake light. Well.....I might have gotten them TOO dark. Guess I have an excuse to order the JW Speaker tail lights now lol. Otherwise though I really dig the blacked out look.
IMG_1603.jpg

Also drove up to Dawson Forest to stretch its legs out for the first time since bolting the 35s up. It didn't rub as much as I thought it would, although I do want to desperately ditch this spacer lift for a legitimate suspension lift.
IMG_1604.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
My wife's JK has the tail light sprayed with something as well. There's even a little over spray. We didn't realize it until after we bought it. Regardless there is still red light when she brakes and we haven't had any issues with it.

IMG_20170304_140606_504.jpg

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My wife's JK has the tail light sprayed with something as well. There's even a little over spray. We didn't realize it until after we bought it. Regardless there is still red light when she brakes and we haven't had any issues with it.

View attachment 254519

Mine had a screwed up taillight when I bought it, used. I found a set of takeoffs from a 2016 for $75 on eBay

longarmwj

Well, two days ago I got pulled over for the tail lights :cheesy: The cop was SUPER cool about it though and let me off with a warning. He even complimented the Jeep :thumb: I tried acetone and it did help, but not as much as I would have hoped, so I placed an order for some JW Speaker tail lights and had them overnighted. I figured paying the extra money for shipping would be better then paying for a ticket and points on a license. After lots of thought though, I finally know which direction I want to go with the build. It will be done in three phases with a fourth possible phase as listed below, as well as time frames.

Phase 1 (next couple of months):
-JCR Offroad Dagger Frame Chop Bumper
-EVO Rear Bumper Cover W/ D-Rings
-EVO Rock Skins and Sliders
-Artec Skid System
-Warn Winch
-AFE Axleback Exhaust
-Fishbone Offroad Steel Fender Flares Painted in Gobi
-Mopar Or EVO Tire Carrier

Phase 2 (Hopfully within the next 3-5 months):
-3 or 4 Inch EVO Enforcer Lift
-Front Driveshaft
-EVO Corners

Phase 3 (end of year to start of 2018):
-PR44 front axle
-Beefed Up Rear Axle (shafts, truss, 5.13s, etc)
-37s
-EVO Sport Cage

Possible Phase 4 (3+ years from now):
-Coilovers
-40s
-PR60/80

WJCO

Meme King
Sucks about the tail lights but at least he was cool about it. Good luck with the rest of the build.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
You should probably go with aluminum flares, they are a bit more expansive but they won't rust and save you some weight. When I am ready to do flares I am going with aluminum.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, two days ago I got pulled over for the tail lights :cheesy: The cop was SUPER cool about it though and let me off with a warning. He even complimented the Jeep :thumb: I tried acetone and it did help, but not as much as I would have hoped, so I placed an order for some JW Speaker tail lights and had them overnighted. I figured paying the extra money for shipping would be better then paying for a ticket and points on a license. After lots of thought though, I finally know which direction I want to go with the build. It will be done in three phases with a fourth possible phase as listed below, as well as time frames.

Phase 1 (next couple of months):
-JCR Offroad Dagger Frame Chop Bumper
-EVO Rear Bumper Cover W/ D-Rings
-EVO Rock Skins and Sliders
-Artec Skid System
-Warn Winch
-AFE Axleback Exhaust
-Fishbone Offroad Steel Fender Flares Painted in Gobi
-Mopar Or EVO Tire Carrier

Phase 2 (Hopfully within the next 3-5 months):
-3 or 4 Inch EVO Enforcer Lift
-Front Driveshaft
-EVO Corners

Phase 3 (end of year to start of 2018):
-PR44 front axle
-Beefed Up Rear Axle (shafts, truss, 5.13s, etc)
-37s
-EVO Sport Cage

Possible Phase 4 (3+ years from now):
-Coilovers
-40s
-PR60/80

Looks like you've given this a lot of thought. If I could, I would NOT recommend the JCR bumper. In addition to the guys there being full of themselves, I have seen their bumper taco over a whole lot of nothing and in places where no other bumper folded in. If you're really set on chopping your frame (something I would never do), at least do it with a product that can stand up to some abuse. Just my 2¢

longarmwj

Looks like you've given this a lot of thought. If I could, I would NOT recommend the JCR bumper. In addition to the guys there being full of themselves, I have seen their bumper taco over a whole lot of nothing and in places where no other bumper folded in. If you're really set on chopping your frame (something I would never do), at least do it with a product that can stand up to some abuse. Just my 2¢

Good insight! I wasn't aware they didn't hold up that well.

longarmwj

On one of the JKX events, there was a tree that everyone ended up hitting on their way up a hill. Of all the bumper that hit it, the only one to taco was the JCR.

Well I've made my mind up. Next check I get, I'll be ordering the Evo Quarter Pounder with a Revolution stinger :thumb:

Would that be considered a quarter pounder with cheese? :hmm:

longarmwj

JW Speaker tail lights are in. Loved the quality these things have. Plus they're made in America which is a huge plus. They look way better then the stock smoked ones and won't get me pulled over lol. Next on the list is Evo front and rear bumpers!
IMG_8969.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom