Looking at some bumpers...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My .2 cents...

Strength? metal vs plastic OEM bumper? You do the math.

Copy? vs the real deal?
Real deal for the win!

Make sense? Now let's all head over to a more productive thread like...

Name that Jeep part or What am I looking at.

Best regards!

LOL!! Happy Friday - you've been doing a little drinking tonight, haven't ya? :D

Heholua

View attachment 183857
View attachment 183858
Not really... Basically what you're saying is that no other sliders can have hard angles at the corners. There are only so many ways to make sliders. So I can understand why some look alike... But without hard evidence who's to say A stole from B or vice versa.

Here's some hard evidence for you, I've been in that douche bag's shop and have seen with my own eyes the EVO sliders that he copied hanging on the wall.

Heholua

You haven't proved any point except things look alike. And like I stated before there is only so many way to make the same part, hence why they may look alike yet still have differences. Otherwise there would only be one company allowed to sell or manufacture parts. Which again is called monopoly and mostly illegal.

There are things called Patents dumbass.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I've been looking at the VKS front stubby stinger bumper and the Poison Spyder comp/trail bfh stinger front bumper. Not sure which one to go with. What are your guys opinions?

You asked for opinions. To simply sum it up for you: people don't like the company VKS because of their business practices.

VKS has plainly been shown to be a company that has ripped off other companies designs for their own profit. The products may not be 100% identical, but I think it is fairly obvious they have ripped off others designs. Is that a business you want to support? Do you think they will support you after the sale? Maybe they changed enough minor details to avoid copyright/patent infringement. Maybe they are being sued and will be out of business. It costs a lot to sue someone over intellectual property.

Where exactly do you think they cut corners to reduce cost? Especially since stuff seems to cost more in Alaska, if that is where they are at. That would mean identical materials would cost more. So maybe the steel is thinner, or cheaper spec. Maybe HREW versus DOM tubing. It's possible they went for a smaller markup. Maybe they employ less skilled employees who are not as competent welders/fabricators. Is the product going to hold up when it really counts?

There are many companies and many designs out there. They do not copy absolutely everything off of others.

WJCO

Meme King
There's a guy named Adolf in Germany building bumpers. Check with him. I hear they'll hold up to anything. :thumb:

5280Sapper

I'm certainly not gunna argue with anybody about how you feel about another company.. Even if all these so called unique bumpers out there are patented it's very easy to be X amount of a percentage different and not infringe on it... By no means dos I know of such actions when I purchased the product I did noticed on line that the sliders looked very similar... But a lot of products are similar in the jeep community and other like corvettes I race... Look at the hood louvers.. They just have different symbols cut on them... If what vks did was illegal then go after him.. If not then don't buy his stuff... I'm a welder and can do most of my own fab just don't have a big break to bend thick ass metal... And its certainly welded very well... But going after someone and talking shit to them isn't called for.. I'm no saint by no means I have done it before too..

I may have rambled I came back to this like 6 times and didn't even remember my train of thought.. I blame it on TBI.. To many IED explosions and other stuff!

RageKage

Alright... Look I apologize for all of this nonsense that I started. Like come on its over something insignificant. Yes I have a bit of a temper and an anger problem. I'm here now to apologize for arguing over stupid shit. I really like this forum and have found it to be full of knowledge and experience. Let's just all let bygones be bygones. I'm sorry.

RageKage

I'm certainly not gunna argue with anybody about how you feel about another company.. Even if all these so called unique bumpers out there are patented it's very easy to be X amount of a percentage different and not infringe on it... By no means dos I know of such actions when I purchased the product I did noticed on line that the sliders looked very similar... But a lot of products are similar in the jeep community and other like corvettes I race... Look at the hood louvers.. They just have different symbols cut on them... If what vks did was illegal then go after him.. If not then don't buy his stuff... I'm a welder and can do most of my own fab just don't have a big break to bend thick ass metal... And its certainly welded very well... But going after someone and talking shit to them isn't called for.. I'm no saint by no means I have done it before too..

I may have rambled I came back to this like 6 times and didn't even remember my train of thought.. I blame it on TBI.. To many IED explosions and other stuff!

I hear ya on that Sapper! My train of thought usually gets lost in lala land. And I'm still in! Actually in an engineer battalion up here in Alaska. Would like to go to Sapper school but unfortunately our CSM says mechanics don't have priority. :boo:

dwvninety

Alright... Look I apologize for all of this nonsense that I started. Like come on its over something insignificant. Yes I have a bit of a temper and an anger problem. I'm here now to apologize for arguing over stupid shit. I really like this forum and have found it to be full of knowledge and experience. Let's just all let bygones be bygones. I'm sorry.

If your only here to promote VKS products then your welcome here is short lived. Go to another forum that VKS sponsors if that's the shit your believing in.

RageKage

If your only here to promote VKS products then your welcome here is short lived. Go to another forum that VKS sponsors if that's the shit your believing in.

I am not here to support VKS or any other company. I don't work for any off road company. I'm here gain knowledge and share in experiences.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
How high above the hood does the stinger go? I like the big stingers. Like the look of the LOD one too. But I'm more partial to the bumpers that end underneath the turn signal lights. But yours is growing on me.

I have a bunch of pics of my old '08 JK with the LoD stinger bumper.

Not sure if VKS makes a knock off that you'll like, but here's some pics.

IMG_0905.jpg IMG_0909-2.jpg IMG_0902.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom