Looking for skid plates

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, would you recommend a transmission skid for the 07-11 auto trans or just leave it off and get a HD cross member? sorry for the hijack

If for some reason you don't have your factory transmission skid plate, I would recommend an aftermarket one.

sunnysideup

I recently won an ebay bid on a Synergy cross member/skid plate combo... heavy and all welded together as one peice. It is solid! you do have to tap four holes into the frame... but it all fits nice now. I made a "scoop" on the front of it to angle up at the front toward the body... because I did not buy the whole collection of plates they make. It fits tight! I chopped the stock transfer case skid down(about 1/3 of it cut off)and drilled it to bolt up to the synergy plate on the back side...leaving the rear mount for the stock tranny skid. They are all flush with the gas tank skid now, which might be 1/2 higher then stock location. I made my own skid- years ago for the oil pan. The synergy one is a good product, if you want to buy the whole set you could avoid any custom stuff...and you would have a lot of money involved.

Okay so I have had two sets of skid plates over the years. Both on newer model 2008 and a 2013. First set was made of steel very heavy made my spring sag after a few years. Then I went to artec aluminum full skid plates. You don't have to buy the crossmember but if you're planning on doing any serious rock crawling I would buy the crossmember that comes with the kit. They make to one for long arm and one for short arm. Very nice set up bolts on completely slick on the bottom. And it won't make your Springs sag after a few years because there aluminum quarter inch thick. About $1,600.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay so I have had two sets of skid plates over the years. Both on newer model 2008 and a 2013. First set was made of steel very heavy made my spring sag after a few years. Then I went to artec aluminum full skid plates. You don't have to buy the crossmember but if you're planning on doing any serious rock crawling I would buy the crossmember that comes with the kit. They make to one for long arm and one for short arm. Very nice set up bolts on completely slick on the bottom. And it won't make your Springs sag after a few years because there aluminum quarter inch thick. About $1,600

Here's a thought, just use the factory skids that came on your Jeep from the factory. Costs ZERO extra, adds ZERO weight, doesn't trap in heat and makes it a hell of a lot easier to service your Jeep. But then, that's just me.

RUBEERCON

I went the 200.00 cheap route and bought the Smitty trans skid, it also covers the oil pan. It's a tank! Very heavy 3/8 steel so plan on the added weight. I'm still running all the stock skids with it, nothing else needed in my opinion. You can spend tons on all kinds of protection and there will still be lots of places that get scraped up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RUBEERCON

I went the 200.00 cheap route and bought the Smitty trans skid, it also covers the oil pan. It's a tank! Very heavy 3/8 steel so plan on the added weight. I'm still running all the stock skids with it, nothing else needed in my opinion. You can spend tons on all kinds of protection and there will still be lots of places that get scraped up.

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3561.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

WJCO

Meme King

Did you mean 3/16" ? 3/8" is double that. Most aftermarket skids are 3/16" .

wardawg

Rubicat has an auto and on a 2012-up, I would recommend that a the transmission be protected if only because it has a cooler line very exposed. Like you, I went with EVO as it just protects what's needed and without robbing you of more ground clearance. The cross member skid wouldn't work with my long arm setup and so I installed a Poison Spyder HD cross member. I believe EVO makes one as well now and personally, I think it's the better way to go.

You're not wrong....

6-21-2017 3-07-03 PM.png

zimm

Caught the Bug
Rockhard is good. Although I dented it so bad on a rock I had to drop it and sledge hammer it flat again. It was hitting on the exhaust cross over and making a terrible rattle.

As for the fuel tank. I'm running stock, but 2 club members of mine bent their tanks so bad the senders went bad and had to replace everything. So, I don't subscribe to Eddie's "stock fuel skid is good enough" theory.

View attachment 264876 View attachment 264877

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Moby's factory gas tank skid plate after more than 10 years of mall crawlin. I suppose if I were more of a badass, I'd need an aftermarket skid for it too.

main.php

Top Bottom