Looking for skid plates

I think that is what the fins were for, to protect the bolt head.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes, if you reuse the stock hardware. I went ahead and used the rock hard supplied hardware. So their dome washers take the job of those fins and protect the bolt heads.

I figured since I wasn't going to get their transfer case skid, it'd be just as easy to cut and grind the stock.

I don't recall if the bolt heads are the same size, but if they are, maybe saves me a little time grabbing an additional socket to work under there if I have to. heh.

Last edited:

Casey_250

I have the EVO Protek on my 08 Auto - Oil and Trans skids are really nice and high clearance. I beat the crap out of the exhaust / cross member skid though my first time out. I guess its doing its job but its pushed right up against my exhaust now. I mentioned it to EVO were looking for design feed back and they said it looks like it was abused, but isn't that the point of a skid? :)

I did get high centered on my oil pan last time out, and was grateful to have the skid plate.

I am a little worried about the bolts getting mangled over time and needing to take the connector plate frequently off to do oil changes.

skid 1.jpg

skid 2.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I have the EVO Protek on my 08 Auto - Oil and Trans skids are really nice and high clearance. I beat the crap out of the exhaust / cross member skid though my first time out. I guess its doing its job but its pushed right up against my exhaust now.

View attachment 263369

Rock Hard's come with a shim as sometimes the skid hits right on the exhaust even before it gets hit. We ended up having to use it during installation. You could probably buy or build something like that. It's basically a thick steel plate that has holes drilled in it in the correct location.

https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-1309.htm

robx251

Caught the Bug
This ^^^^

With a manual transmission, you don't need to buy any aftermarket skid plates. The ones that came on your Jeep from the factory will be more than enough to protect your Jeep. IF anything, you might want to get an oil pan skid as it's not protected but it's far from necessary. I have been running Moby with just factory skids for over 10 years now and while they may not look pretty, his factory skids are still holding up fine.
Well where I am ruining as small of lift possible and trying to keep things protected. I have noticed that on my last run I got some scuffs on my engine oil pan.

20170613_142516.jpg

I was thinking that the factory skids on the t-case and gas tank would be sufficient and wasnt entirely planning on replacing them until needed.

I was thinking that I wanted to get a plate that protected the crossover pipe as that has seen some scuffs from the last ride too.

20170613_142737.jpg
20170613_142706.jpg
20170613_142726.jpg

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Well where I am ruining as small of lift possible and trying to keep things protected. I have noticed that on my last run I got some scuffs on my engine oil pan.

View attachment 263379

I was thinking that the factory skids on the t-case and gas tank would be sufficient and wasnt entirely planning on replacing them until needed.

I was thinking that I wanted to get a plate that protected the crossover pipe as that has seen some scuffs from the last ride too.

View attachment 263380
View attachment 263381
View attachment 263382

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Go with EVO oil pan/transmission skids, then. Nice pics, but Wayoflife can beat those with Moby's underside.

deadguy

Here's my rock hard engine and trans skid, full weight of my 2dr on it and it took it. The skid was bent after but it saved a ton of damage. Rock hards customer service is also top notch IMG_20160821_114110284.jpg

Sent from a guy with a jeep

DK570

This ^^^^

With a manual transmission, you don't need to buy any aftermarket skid plates. The ones that came on your Jeep from the factory will be more than enough to protect your Jeep. IF anything, you might want to get an oil pan skid as it's not protected but it's far from necessary. I have been running Moby with just factory skids for over 10 years now and while they may not look pretty, his factory skids are still holding up fine.

I've wondered about this. My manual TJ has an oil pan skid, but not one for the NV3550 tranny. For the JK I want to get one for at least the oil pan, not sure if I need one for the NSG370 also. The skids that cover only the oil pan mount directly to the engine. Do I have to worry about damaging my motor mounts if I land on that skid? Some of the oil pan/tranny combo skids mount to the frame, which may be better?

JeepJeep75

I love my EVO skids. I have the engine, trans, and X-over skid. Great combo! I have had to remove the X-over skid to beat it straight and get it to stop touching the exhaust on the passenger side. It was making a horrendous rattle. I think it is gonna keep bending every time I rub the belly on something. If it cracks from the fatigue of being straightened out, I'll reinforce it then.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I love my EVO skids. I have the engine, trans, and X-over skid. Great combo! I have had to remove the X-over skid to beat it straight and get it to stop touching the exhaust on the passenger side. It was making a horrendous rattle. I think it is gonna keep bending every time I rub the belly on something. If it cracks from the fatigue of being straightened out, I'll reinforce it then.

Honestly, if you replace your factory cross member with an HD one, you won't even need that skid anymore.

JeepJeep75

Back in the day, Poison Spyder was the only company who offered one and that's what I got on Moby but EVO does now too and that's what I have on Rubicat.

Does the HD crossmember protect the exhaust pipe any better than the stock crossmember? Being on 35's with a 3 inch lift, I'm using my skids quite a bit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does the HD crossmember protect the exhaust pipe any better than the stock crossmember? Being on 35's with a 3 inch lift, I'm using my skids quite a bit.

The HD cross member won't cave in like factory and that will help a lot but if you're wanting to protect your exhaust cross over, the skid will do that better.

aTX427

I ordered Rock Hard aluminum. It looks like a well thought out solution and they are great people to work with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom