LS Conversions and State Inspections

Can anyone, especially Texas Jeepers, explain to me how LS swaps work with State Inspections? I’me getting close to doing my LS swap in my 2012 JK and am looking at the RPM Extreme harness which translates GM into Mopar so everything is supposed to work/read right but they’re email support says they can’t guarantee passing inspections. This is my daily and before I go dropping $15K-$25K I need to know I’m going to be able register it which in TX requires a yearly inspection.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Ddays

Hooked
Can anyone, especially Texas Jeepers, explain to me how LS swaps work with State Inspections? I’me getting close to doing my LS swap in my 2012 JK and am looking at the RPM Extreme harness which translates GM into Mopar so everything is supposed to work/read right but they’re email support says they can’t guarantee passing inspections. This is my daily and before I go dropping $15K-$25K I need to know I’m going to be able register it which in TX requires a yearly inspection.

Thanks in advance

Reach out to Bubba at Exodus

jdofmemi

I'm no expert in this, but I heard mention of LS not being able to go into a '15 or newer, due to not being offered in cars after 2015.

That would lead me to believe that you would be ok in a 2012.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, well there is that....i was thinking he'd have insights on the inspection process in general

I know, I was just trying to be funny. :D

Is there a downside to the Hemi? I have no experience with either v8 so just asking for knowledge.

Depends on who you talk to. Some will swear that a HEMI is better engine, puts out more HP or that the kit for it won't have any issues. And really, who am I to say anything bad about HEMI's, I'm a Jeep guy and like them a lot. What I can tell you is that they are bigger and heavier and from what I've seen, no where near as powerful as they should be but mainly due to programming. Also, EVERY HEMI that I've seen in a Jeep has over heating issues - EVERY. This is not to say that it can't be mitigated with a lot of help but straight from and kit and out here in the Nevada desert, it's a tough to keep in check. What I like about the LS is that it's lighter, about the same weight as a 3.8L engine. I also like how programmable it is and how you can get real power out of one and even more so with an LT coupled with a 10 speed. Yes, they can have heat issues as well but based on my experience, less than a HEMI. Some will say that the kits and wiring for an LS is a problem and for a while, it was tough to get GM and Chrysler stuff to work well together but things have come a long way since the early days. Moby now has the new LT setup that Motech makes and all of it runs off of GM stuff.

In the end, I'd have to say both setups have the pluses and minuses. I was all set to go HEMI before LS became and option and went with the later mainly to test out something new. I have to say, I'm really happy that I did.

MericaMade

I know, I was just trying to be funny. :D

Depends on who you talk to. Some will swear that a HEMI is better engine, puts out more HP or that the kit for it won't have any issues. And really, who am I to say anything bad about HEMI's, I'm a Jeep guy and like them a lot. What I can tell you is that they are bigger and heavier and from what I've seen, no where near as powerful as they should be but mainly due to programming. Also, EVERY HEMI that I've seen in a Jeep has over heating issues - EVERY. This is not to say that it can't be mitigated with a lot of help but straight from and kit and out here in the Nevada desert, it's a tough to keep in check. What I like about the LS is that it's lighter, about the same weight as a 3.8L engine. I also like how programmable it is and how you can get real power out of one and even more so with an LT coupled with a 10 speed. Yes, they can have heat issues as well but based on my experience, less than a HEMI. Some will say that the kits and wiring for an LS is a problem and for a while, it was tough to get GM and Chrysler stuff to work well together but things have come a long way since the early days. Moby now has the new LT setup that Motech makes and all of it runs off of GM stuff.

In the end, I'd have to say both setups have the pluses and minuses. I was all set to go HEMI before LS became and option and went with the later mainly to test out something new. I have to say, I'm really happy that I did.

Ahh got it! Yeah I would prefer the lighter more tuneable option myself. I really do like the though of dropping one in and will keep my eyes and ears on the subject but, I have other things I would need and prefer to do first. Thanks for the quick lesson.

Exodus 4x4

Ahh got it! Yeah I would prefer the lighter more tuneable option myself. I really do like the though of dropping one in and will keep my eyes and ears on the subject but, I have other things I would need and prefer to do first. Thanks for the quick lesson.

Eddie is correct that the earlier versions of the Hemi swap were problematic with cooling and I would advise against certain kits, just like I would advise against certain kits for the LS. When it comes to the new platform (JL/JT) however there is no question about it, the Hemi is the only way to go. Since we have dropped the LS conversion altogether for the JK we have yet to install a Hemi in one. I have seen quite a few later model JK’s with Hemis in them and they seem to run cooler, but the fans are running full tilt. I’m not a fan of this in ANY configuration because ultimately the fan will fail prematurely. Most honest installers will tell you as much.

The Hemi is able to be tuned as well, just as easily as the LS or any other modern small block V8. Cost wise, the 6.4 Hemi we installed in the JT is tuned to 505 and cost $35k-ish. To produce that same power in the LS in a turnkey package, your looking at about the same cost, if not more. That number is referring to an apples to apples conversion, meaning everything is 100% NEW.

Personally, I love the LS and believe it be one of, if not the best, small block V8 platforms ever built. My real issue with it in the Jeep is in the integration. I’ve tried a few different companies out, and they all seem to have issues. I feel that when a customers drops that kind of money on a conversion, it should have zero issues, especially in the very early stages on the build. The AMW4x4 conversion is the ONLY one I’ve seen that actually does that.

Now I’m terms of the Gen5 and single module stuff? I have no idea what’s going on and as much heartburn as I’ve felt over the “GM in a Jeep” thing, I have no interest in finding out. I have one shop local to me that was trying to make a kit work and they finally gave up. I am very anxious to see how Moby turns out, and what the lead times for installs end up being for run of the mill swaps. No matter how good it gets, I just don’t see myself ever going back to it. But, who knows...

Take that for what it’s worth. I have no agenda other than trying to be as up front and honest as I can be, based on my own personal experience of having installed both platforms in my Jeeps, as well as many other customers. I can tell you for a fact though, we troubleshoot more LS builds (done by us and other very prominent shops) than we ever thought about troubleshooting Hemi conversions. I’ll also add that there are no hard feelings between Motech and I, so there shouldn’t be any issue with anyone local to us coming by for support if they need it.

To answer the original question, you shouldn’t have any issues with inspection here in Texas. As long as you don’t have a CEL on, you should pass.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Thanks in advance

Where do you live in Texas? Specifically, which county?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm no expert in this, but I heard mention of LS not being able to go into a '15 or newer, due to not being offered in cars after 2015.

That would lead me to believe that you would be ok in a 2012.

The LS motor is still made to this day. It’s used in trucks and suvs. The LT motor is mainly used in the sports cars. That being said, the short block is the same on both applications. The heads and intake are what make them different

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that when a customers drops that kind of money on a conversion, it should have zero issues, especially in the very early stages on the build. The AMW4x4 conversion is the ONLY one I’ve seen that actually does that.

That's interesting. I can only assume by you saying as much, all the problems I personally saw on Dyantrac's CODE-X build have since been addressed. The HEMI in it had MAJOR overheating issues as well as the computer totally locking up after driving it for about 10 minutes in the stupid hot Mojave desert in summer. That's the reason you never get to see it out on the trail in our video. Of course later on, when they were doing their china tire burnout video, the same problems happened then as well. Not trying to talk smack about AMW4X4, just never seen a kit have zero issues especially so early on. But, I'll take your word that all is good now.

To answer the original question, you shouldn’t have any issues with inspection here in Texas. As long as you don’t have a CEL on, you should pass.

This ^^^. That was my understanding as well or at least, based on what I've been hearing from others.

Exodus 4x4

I live in Dallas County. A big reason of wanting an LS is combining my love for Jeeps with my childhood dream of having a Vette. Not practical for me to have a Vette with my family but a daily driving Jeep with a Vette motor is definitely doable.

You may have issues there. I’d recommend registering in another county before going through with it.

Exodus 4x4

That's interesting. I can only assume by you saying as much, all the problems I personally saw on Dyantrac's CODE-X build have since been addressed. The HEMI in it had MAJOR overheating issues as well as the computer totally locking up after driving it for about 10 minutes in the stupid hot Mojave desert in summer. That's the reason you never get to see it out on the trail in our video. Of course later on, when they were doing their china tire burnout video, the same problems happened then as well. Not trying to talk smack about AMW4X4, just never seen a kit have zero issues especially so early on. But, I'll take your word that all is good now.

All of the AMW conversions I’ve seen have not had any issues, and mine has been flawless from the first star up. I’ve been pushing it pretty hard in the Texas heat lately and the cooling hasn’t been an issue. They’ve done some really trick stuff with their radiators internally that helps a lot with that.

From what I understand on CodeX, there were some issues in the programming related to the axles themselves but that had nothing to do with cooling. I also know that entire build was rushed. Not to blame anyone, but we all know how things end up when they’re rushed. I’m also not a big fan of forced induction on the trails no matter what anyone says, and I will always lead someone towards naturally aspirated if they intend to go offroad with it.

Top Bottom