Lucas Injector Cleaner VS Seafoam

littlebeas

Hahaha never really had any experience with a 3.8

Mine has been burning oil since about 30k, 120k now. I’ve been using the seafoam since I had to replace an injector and saw the amount of crud buildup in the upper intake.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Jsouder53

Hooked
I used the Seafoam through my intake and was expecting smoke out of the exhaust. I didn’t have any smoke whatsoever. Maybe it’s because I just had my valve gasket changed and they cleaned it up?

KevinG

Caught the Bug
Had a similar ticking. Mine ended up being the rocker arms with the little bearings. Hope that it's not the same for you.

I used the Seafoam through my intake and was expecting smoke out of the exhaust. I didn’t have any smoke whatsoever. Maybe it’s because I just had my valve gasket changed and they cleaned it up?

Was the engine warmed up when you started, and then let it soak for 15-30? They didn’t clean out your cylinders it should of smoked. But for your noise it’s mainly in the oil that I’d you’re lucky will quiet it down, in the gas and intake just cleans some carbon up for ya.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Was the engine warmed up when you started, and then let it soak for 15-30? They didn’t clean out your cylinders it should of smoked. But for your noise it’s mainly in the oil that I’d you’re lucky will quiet it down, in the gas and intake just cleans some carbon up for ya.

The engine was warm, not hot when I started. Let it soak for about 25 minutes, then ran the Jeep at about 4 thousand rpms for a couple minutes. I put it in my oil as well, I’ll put the rest in my gas tank after I fill up tomorrow

Jsouder53

Hooked

This morning when I started my Jeep, I got a big cloud of smoke. So it worked [emoji106] drove it for a while today, still ticking away...

Jsouder53

Hooked
It wasn't too bad, but time consuming and tedious. There are quite a few write ups out there. I have heard that if it just started the cam might be okay.

I’d probably have a shop do it since I don’t have a garage to work in and it’s gonna start getting colder. Did you replace all of the rocker arms since you were already working on them?

This morning when I started my Jeep, I got a big cloud of smoke. So it worked [emoji106] drove it for a while today, still ticking away...

Glad you finally got your smoke show. If, key word, it’s gonna quiet anything it’ll be the cleaner in the oil which obviously needs time to circulate and do its thing. Hopefully it’s just dirty, but you already know it’s likely rocker / valve issues.

Glad you finally got your smoke show. If, key word, it’s gonna quiet anything it’ll be the cleaner in the oil which obviously needs time to circulate and do its thing. Hopefully it’s just dirty, but you already know it’s likely rocker / valve issues.

Jsouder53

Hooked

It most likely is rockers. I’ll probably take it in to get them fixed sooner than later. I’m thinking on having them all changed since they are already in there working already.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
I’d probably have a shop do it since I don’t have a garage to work in and it’s gonna start getting colder. Did you replace all of the rocker arms since you were already working on them?

Yes, there were only two of them that were bad and the cam didn't show much wear from the roller in the middle. I have pics somewhere on my phone that I sent to a buddy that works at the jeep dealer across the street from my work. He said it was a good idea to replace them all. I guess it's usually just the passenger bank that it happens to. BTW mine's a 2016. I guess there's a TSB for the older ones where they warranty them longer or something. Also a good time to do the plugs while you are at it. Hoping the best for you.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Yes, there were only two of them that were bad and the cam didn't show much wear from the roller in the middle. I have pics somewhere on my phone that I sent to a buddy that works at the jeep dealer across the street from my work. He said it was a good idea to replace them all. I guess it's usually just the passenger bank that it happens to. BTW mine's a 2016. I guess there's a TSB for the older ones where they warranty them longer or something. Also a good time to do the plugs while you are at it. Hoping the best for you.

Mines a 2016 as well. Guess that’s just a week point in that year... I just replaced the plugs when I noticed oil in my spark plug wells and just before that the ticking started. Took my Jeep to a mechanic and they told me the ticking was the fuel injectors.... they changed the valve gasket and that was it. I’m taking my Jeep elsewhere after that.

KevinG

Caught the Bug
It’s all 3.6’s across the entire dodge,jeep, Chrysler line. Since 2012 to now.

They extended the warranty to 150k on the 12's and 13's and maybe other years. The only thing I know for sure is that mine wasnt covered, but yeah it sucks.

Jsouder53

Hooked
They extended the warranty to 150k on the 12's and 13's and maybe other years. The only thing I know for sure is that mine wasnt covered, but yeah it sucks.

That’s dumb, I wasn’t expecting the warranty to cover mine anymore anyways.

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen tons of 3.6l rocker/lifter issues but none under extended factory warranty. Now as far as the misfire code with the head casting/valve seat issue, that is different. These are two different issues.

Top Bottom