Lucas Injector Cleaner VS Seafoam

Jsouder53

Hooked
I've seen tons of 3.6l rocker/lifter issues but none under extended factory warranty. Now as far as the misfire code with the head casting/valve seat issue, that is different. These are two different issues.

I get they are different, it just frustrates me they had it uncovered and now I have to pay to have it worked on again.

I heard a mechanic on a podcast in Orlando use Amsoil upper cylinder lubricant when you fill your tank. I’ve had my rockers fixed three times.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I periodically use Lucas upper cylinder lube in my gas and Berryman chemtool for strong injector cleaning. I’m on my 3rd motor in this 2012 so I have learned what needs to be done. There is a teenage driver involved and all that that implies. The 3.6 doesn't sludge badly like a Toyota, BMW, etc but varnish appears to be worse than expected. The valves aren't as bad as direct injection but they do have some buildup that hurts compression. I wondered if the varnish was creating some sticking. Another thing I have noticed is the ring packs get filled with a bit more carbon so compression drops. The injectors are a pain. I paid one shop for injector cleaning and found from my current mechanic that I should try a sequence of gas treatments and more fuel pressure. He said he would take my money but that $25 bucks of some fuel treatment should be tried first to see if it can be fixed.

The plan is to use less an half a tank with each treatment to speed up the process. Lucas first to loosen up valves and a mild injector clean. Berryman chemtool for a more serious clean. If it still isn’t right then use Techron with fuel pressure to knock it out. I was told to use the Tiptronic auto trans in 3rd gear on the back roads at 55-60 mph. That higher 3000 rpm allows you to put higher fuel pressure on the clogged injector. It worked beautifully and most of the noise was gone.

The next battle ground was oil treatments. I have been a believer in Auto-rx but their distribution has changed enough to frustrate me. My friend swears by BG products so I gave the EPR 109 a try. The EPR is pretty damn good and much quicker than Auto-rx but that also worries me. Auto-rx was theoretically more safe with a slow moderate clean over 3k miles. My buddy said to start with a hot engine and run it 15 minutes at 1200. The instructions are bit less aggressive at 10 mins and use the warm up phase. The rest of my noise went away so it must have been in the valve train. It is smooth.

Top Bottom