M.O.R.E. Skid plates

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would look at the protek skids. I just installed mine and they are sturdy as hell! The factory skids are plenty strong. You should only need to protect you tranny pan and oil pan.

Sent from my iPhone

Yup, what he said. :yup:

ghostryder

He never said anything about "NO" skid plates - just to stick with the ones that come stock on your Jeep AND add one for your oil pan (and tranny pan if you have a 2012-up automatic) as it does not come with one from the factory. There is no need to replace what you already have with expensive aftermarket skid plates that will add weight, trap mud and make the detection of leaks harder to see/find and make maintenance harder to do as well. I have been running factory skid plates for over 7 years and while they may look a bit beat up, they are still doing their job just fine.

i wasn't planning on replacing the stock ones but my 14 standard didnt come with a skid protecting the tranny pan and i already have some dings and yeah i reread his post and your right he didnt say no skid he just said use the stock one but i don't have anything there currently i was just asking for some advice on the different skids out there and about this skid cause thats what i was considering and everyone has been real helpful thanks i appreciate it

TheStick

i wasn't planning on replacing the stock ones but my 14 standard didnt come with a skid protecting the tranny pan and i already have some dings and yeah i reread his post and your right he didnt say no skid he just said use the stock one but i don't have anything there currently i was just asking for some advice on the different skids out there and about this skid cause thats what i was considering and everyone has been real helpful thanks i appreciate it

I've been real happy with my Rockhard and a lot here are happy with the protek. I think cost of both are similar.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I'm confused. If you have a "standard", do you mean this as in you have a "manual" transmission? If so, what "tranny pan" are you referring to?

Ed Lapadura

Hey Eddie I was just wondering how beat up your gas tank skid is? Yours is stock? What about your trans crossmember? I was under mine and both look like hell. Watching your videos I would think yours have got to be trashed. My trail driving must suck.

:doh:Never mind just saw another write up you did

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie I was just wondering how beat up your gas tank skid is? Yours is stock? What about your trans crossmember? I was under mine and both look like hell. Watching your videos I would think yours have got to be trashed. My trail driving must suck.

:doh:Never mind just saw another write up you did

:cheesy: Yeah, as you've seen, the gas tank skid is beat but still working just fine. I've replaced the cross member with a Poison Spyder one. If you do this, you really should take the time to reinforce the frame rail mounts as they will tear off if you don't. At least, that's what started to happen with mine.

mrmet1983

:cheesy: Yeah, as you've seen, the gas tank skid is beat but still working just fine. I've replaced the cross member with a Poison Spyder one. If you do this, you really should take the time to reinforce the frame rail mounts as they will tear off if you don't. At least, that's what started to happen with mine.

Was actually thinking about that after I got done welding in my long arm brackets. The frame mounts are like paper smh

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Who reinforced your mounts? EVO? What did they do exactly? I will probably replace mine within the year so just curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Who reinforced your mounts? EVO? What did they do exactly? I will probably replace mine within the year so just curious.

To clarify, I started tearing my frame mounts well before I replaced the cross member and got them reinforced a while back with some gussets. After getting the EVO long arm installed, the brackets reinforced the mounts up front and additional supports were added to the back mounts.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
To clarify, I started tearing my frame mounts well before I replaced the cross member and got them reinforced a while back with some gussets. After getting the EVO long arm installed, the brackets reinforced the mounts up front and additional supports were added to the back mounts.

Cool thanks.

I'll just JB weld mine. :cheesy:

Ed Lapadura

Just went outside and took a picture of my tranny crossmember would you guys replace this?

Attachments

• 1399930056310.jpg
    1399930056310.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 1399930085376.jpg
    1399930085376.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom