Manual or Automatic

0311DoC

Dang! I was told if you jeep off-road in an auto you obviously pee sitting down.... So yea I took that as a hit to my manhood. So when I bought the new JKUR I got a manual. plus I was told it's more fun. I sure hope it is.

jesse3638

Hooked
I've had the 2016 JK Rubicon in Automatic and have wheeled about 4 times so far. I am VERY impressed with the gearing and the transmission. Gone are the days of HUGE jumps in the shifts when in 4-Lo. I remember when it would go from 1-2 automatically and it when surge. No more. Having the vehicle in 4-Lo is great of easy trails in which I can get up to 25-30 no problem. The internal gearing is really nice.

The bonus is when you go to semi-automatic shifting, in which you can pick your gear and it will stay. This was VERY helpful in descents and such. It would just crawl.

Just get the Automatic and you will have no regrets.

I have a 2012 with a manual and have no problems with it. I do like the control I have in 4LO but had I researched the new Auto more I may have gone with it. It seems a lot better than the 07-11 trans used.

professorkx

Please elaborate. Other than regearing the differentials, did you mess with any other gears?

I have 4.10 gears and the Rubicon transfer case stock in Mountain Goat, so I have a pretty low crawl speed. My son has a manual with 5.13 gears in his 2007, has the sport transfer case and 37 inch tires, and the lower gears in the differentials keep his crawl speed low.

In comparison, my wife's 2009 sport manual wouldn't be much fun to wheel with, as the low numerical ratio in the differentials, the sport transfer case and 34 inch tires would require a lot more clutch work than either my 2014 or my son's 2007. In short, when going with a manual, crawl speed is key, which is achieved with a combination of differential gear ratio and transfer case low range ratio.

Mtb275

Didn't realize there was much of a difference in stock transfer cases. I knew you could regear them or go after market, but never heard of the Mountain Goat option.

Good to know and something for me to look into. Thanks.

professorkx

Didn't realize there was much of a difference in stock transfer cases. I knew you could regear them or go after market, but never heard of the Mountain Goat option.

Mountain Goat is just the name the kids gave my Jeep, as I could crawl so much slower than they could in their rigs.

If I remember, the Rubicon transfer case low ratio is 4:1, while the sport ratio is something like 2.72:1. Not sure this difference has been carried through to 2016, but it is certainly worth knowing before putting the money on the table.

Mtb275

Mountain Goat is just the name the kids gave my Jeep, as I could crawl so much slower than they could in their rigs.

If I remember, the Rubicon transfer case low ratio is 4:1, while the sport ratio is something like 2.72:1. Not sure this difference has been carried through to 2016, but it is certainly worth knowing before putting the money on the table.

Ok, thanks for clarifying!

Exodus 4x4

Once upon a time I was a purist who believed automatics were only for women. The first time I drive in traffic I said fuck that and got and got rid of my manual ride. Not to mention automatics have come a long ways.

SDHobbs

I love my manual, when wheeling I definitely understand and can recognize the automatic makes it much easier, but a well geared manual JK is an absolute blast offroad.
x2
I will add, part of what makes driving a manual offroad fun for me is the challenge. I get more of a thrill when I clear an obstacle vs the auto guys. Last run I did with a group, auto Jeeps seemed almost bored, where I felt a sense of accomplishment being able to clear the same obstacles without stalling, picking the right gear, idling over certain sections, giving just the right amount of gas to get me over, trying not use the clutch, takes some technique and practice. I'm still learning, but it's fun and engaging. Since there is a learning curve, I tend to stay away from hard trails until I get better, I think if had the auto I would be doing harder stuff sooner. Probably for the best since it keeps me from beating up my Jeep!

Tracy Sawyer

I personally prefer an automatic for wheeling. I grew up on the Virginia / NC border So I have done most of my wheeling in sand, mud and trails. The only time I wish I had a manual is if I am almost stuck in sand or mud and I need to rock the jeep out going from 1st to reverse back and forth. It's tough doing that with an automatic.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have never been a fan of automatics for off-road. That being said I have never owned a automatic jeep. I personally like the level of control I have with a manual transmission. I understand that you can lock an auto in gear, but I can't wrap my head around how the torque converter can stand up to off-road use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have never been a fan of automatics for off-road. That being said I have never owned a automatic jeep. I personally like the level of control I have with a manual transmission. I understand that you can lock an auto in gear, but I can't wrap my head around how the torque converter can stand up to off-road use.

I have always wheeled a manual and still prefer one but would be lying if I said that wheeling an auto isn't a lot easier especially on the rocks. In fact, it's so easy that Cindy and I look at it like it's cheating. That being said, manuals are what I know best and unless Jeep does away with them on the new Wrangler, it's most likely what we'll get again.

Tracy Sawyer

I have driven a manual a lot more than an automatic. I think manuals are definitely more fun and challenging. My love for automatics definitely has to do with my physical health "knee foot and leg issues" but lazyiness is also playing a role in my decision for auto as well. Lol

crowrb29

I have a manual. I'm the only one in the group of dudes I wheel with that has one. I think it's cool and I get super bored when I drive an auto. I don't plan on ever owning an auto jeep unless jeep does away with the manual trans.

Make sure you are geared properly for whatever your respective tire size is though. It makes it a much more enjoyable experience.

Top Bottom