Manual transmission reliability ?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If you ride the clutch while wheeling you shouldn't own a manual.

I'll be honest, I never wheeled a manual, but have watched people with manuals wheel. Whenever they do something that requires very gentle input, they are essentially riding the clutch. Full engagement would either stall without enough throttle or accelerate too quickly which can put them in a hairy situation. Just wanted the OP to know that all benefits of owning a manual jeep no longer exist (since the autos can hold gears and shift like a manual if desired) so it is only the novelty of owning a manual. For me PERSONALLY, a novelty is awesome on a sports car even if the autos are faster, but on a jeep, I personally don't see the point. Different strokes for different folks though.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I'll be honest, I never wheeled a manual, but have watched people with manuals wheel. Whenever they do something that requires very gentle input, they are essentially riding the clutch. Full engagement would either stall without enough throttle or accelerate too quickly which can put them in a hairy situation. Just wanted the OP to know that all benefits of owning a manual jeep no longer exist (since the autos can hold gears and shift like a manual if desired) so it is only the novelty of owning a manual. For me PERSONALLY, a novelty is awesome on a sports car even if the autos are faster, but on a jeep, I personally don't see the point. Different strokes for different folks though.

I'm not disagreeing with you just pointing things out.

You have a hand brake which you should use with a manual. That will slow it down without stalling it.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I'm not disagreeing with you just pointing things out.

You have a hand brake which you should use with a manual. That will slow it down without stalling it.

True as well. I do give them props though. Wheeling with a manual seems to be A LOT harder. Lots of stuff to concentrate on.

4x4

Lol! An expert!

Autos don't belong on Jeeps.

spicoli

Just a note...the offset cost of an automatic is the no maintenance. Manuals cost less up front, but they require clutch changes, etc, which remove any real savings, so if it's a financial issue, the manual may look cheaper up front, but not in the long run. Furthermore, the manual allows water and mud to get inside of itself, so if you have an issue, the dealer will certainly blame ANY problem with the transmission on offroading.

NFRs2000NYC. It is clear you aren't a manual guy and the reasons you point out to own an auto are silly to me. Please stop misinforming people about manuals, your facts aren't facts. In all the cars I have had i had only one that i had to replace the clutch on and that was because I basically doubled the horsepower (stock was 180hp @engine when I was done 304 whp).

The simple matter is you like autos and there is nothing wrong with that. You're trying very hard to justify it for some reason.

I like manuals and will probably always choose a manual because I like the connection to the car and I like the sense of control on my gears. Even if an auto was faster, like German cars DSGs, I would still pick a manual because I like it. That is all that it comes down to. What do you prefer to drive.

Autos are good in traffic and make 4wheeling easier. Manuals are more fun in my opinion, there is a connection you get with the car in a manual.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
NFRs2000NYC. It is clear you aren't a manual guy and the reasons you point out to own an auto are silly to me. Please stop misinforming people about manuals, your facts aren't facts. In all the cars I have had i had only one that i had to replace the clutch on and that was because I basically doubled the horsepower (stock was 180hp @engine when I was done 304 whp).

The simple matter is you like autos and there is nothing wrong with that. You're trying very hard to justify it for some reason.

I like manuals and will probably always choose a manual because I like the connection to the car and I like the sense of control on my gears. Even if an auto was faster, like German cars DSGs, I would still pick a manual because I like it. That is all that it comes down to. What do you prefer to drive.

Autos are good in traffic and make 4wheeling easier. Manuals are more fun in my opinion, there is a connection you get with the car in a manual.

Wrong again. I love manuals. Every single sports car I have ever owned, including my s2000 that I still own are manuals. Let me ask you something...are 40s the best tires? Obviously the answer is "it depends." Are manuals better than autos? Again, the answer is, it depends.

Now, to address your points....first of all, the stuff I posted for the OP to consider is factual, and if I posted something that is opinion based, I said so. What you posted is 100% opinion based. I too stated that with a sports car, I would prefer a manual EVEN IF the auto (like the porsche PDK) was faster. There is indeed something about rowing gears down a mountain road thats special. I never argued that. Controlling your gears...there is absolutely no difference in gear control in your manual and my auto. You want to stay in 2nd? I can do that as well. You want to downshift on command? I can do that as well. For the subjective stuff, you can't compare the sniper rifle manual of a quality sports car vs the slop-a-thon manual in a jeep. The JK manual is also known for having some issues, and some quirks, not to mention a few limitations like not being able to shift if submerged, although that's minor. As for fun...absolutely, manuals on sports cars are more fun on the road, but I guess that's where you and I differ....I don't think the wrangler is any form of fun on the road. IF anything, it's a cool summer cruiser, but not "fun."

The reason why I am "trying hard" is when I bought my 2012 Sahara, I wish someone tried hard to talk me out of it, and to get the Rubicon. I made mistakes that ended up costing more than I expected and wished I went a different route. It's one thing to take something on a test drive, it's another to live with something every day. I was very happy with my 2.5 AEV lift, until I lived with it for 6 months. Now, I'm content but given another chance, I would have gone a different route. Honesty is the most helpful advice. Saying "Im a manual guy, so get a manual" isn't honesty, it's just emotional justification. I AM a manual guy, and don't like anything about the JK manual tranny. There is not one single saving grace or benefit to having one, other than the novelty of rowing your own gears. Now, that is the 100% pure truth without any opinion injected in it. That's what the OP needs to hear so he can make an informed decision when purchasing. If he likes the manual, then by all means, I sure as hell ain't gonna stop him. I simply wanted him to have all the info to make a choice. When I got my 2012, I got an auto (after testdriving a manual 4 times.) When I got my 2014, again, ordered an auto. Im not praising the auto because I have one. I got the auto because I think it was the best choice for me when I factored in everything. The OP can do the same. :thumb:

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Lol! An expert!

Autos don't belong on Jeeps.

Neither does leather, ABS, Navi, a sound system, a hard top, heated seats, fuel injection, LED headlights, ESP, and generally any comforts whatsoever. Im sure many of us would love to drive a Jeep equipped like a North Korean prison bathroom. :crazyeyes:

t8er

Drive both. I went with a manual because I'm used to it. The auto is way easier to wheel but I like the challenge personally. With a manual you have to worry about the clutch but going off road I pick the right gear and I'm in 4 lo. I have a Rubicon so that really helps. 1st gear, 4:1 reduction and 4.10's are huge. Even with 35's I idle up a lot. I'm happy with my choice but in traffic I would like an auto.

JKWrang

other than the novelty of rowing your own gears.
This is exactly why i switched to a manual and missed the manual so much that I was okay trading my 2 door auto in.

It is much harder off road in a manual, a lot more nuances to focus on than just throttle and steering.

For me even the imprecise 6 speed on a JK with the long throw shifter, theres a greater feeling of satisfaction driving it and knowing that gear selection is entirely up to me, there is no ECU to translate on my behalf. Good or bad.

OP essentially like NFR said - its up to you to make an informed decision and really its a subjective thing based on your own preferences. The JK trannies arent ticking time bombs like the Xterras had which self destructed and cost Xterra owners at least 3k in dealer partial covered replacements (with no fix, btw...)

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Just a note...the offset cost of an automatic is the no maintenance. Manuals cost less up front, but they require clutch changes, etc, which remove any real savings, so if it's a financial issue, the manual may look cheaper up front, but not in the long run. Furthermore, the manual allows water and mud to get inside of itself, so if you have an issue, the dealer will certainly blame ANY problem with the transmission on offroading.

This makes no sense. Who replaces their clutch that often? It lets water and mud inside of itself? In the bell housing? An automatic bell housing isn't waterproof either.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
This makes no sense. Who replaces their clutch that often? It lets water and mud inside of itself? In the bell housing? An automatic bell housing isn't waterproof either.

Unless you can change your own clutch, you are looking at around $1000 in most places to replace it. The auto can be fully submerged (below the breather obviously) and can shift while the manual cannot. The auto's breather is farther up than the manual as well. On top of that, any evidence of wheeling inside the tranny is going to give you a real headache if you ever want to warranty a tranny issue. That was my only point. This was a response to OP saying he is going to save money by not getting an auto, to which I replied in the long run, it won't really save you much.

spicoli

Pretty easy to more the breather up in auto and manuals.
And yes, warranties apply to manufacturers defects. Wear tear or miss use (you driving through water deeper than Jeep recommends) will not be covered. A good dealer will work with you and help you on the price or find ways to cover it if they can.

pedroj14

I am interested to know what people think about their manual transmission and if you regret it. I had a 1998 TJ manual and loved it. I am leaning towards a manual in my JK. It is not a problem for me to drive in traffic or anywhere else with a manual . I just want to get some input on the reliability and whether or not to go manual or automatic

I have replaced the clutch slave cylinder at 30K miles. I wheel at least once per month and other than the slave cylinder, I have not had any issues.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Pretty easy to more the breather up in auto and manuals.
And yes, warranties apply to manufacturers defects. Wear tear or miss use (you driving through water deeper than Jeep recommends) will not be covered. A good dealer will work with you and help you on the price or find ways to cover it if they can.

Yes, not too big of a deal to install a longer hose or lengthen the existing one. Besides, the breather has a check valve on the end to vent pressure out, but resist entry of foreign debris. Differential vents have check valves as well. As far as replacing the clutch, I've seen heavy duty trucks run 170,000+ miles of strict towing before needing a clutch. The auto in my '02 Z71 shot craps at 130,000 miles of mostly highway driving. I even serviced it regularly since I took ownership at 40,000 miles. So I don't think maintenance or upkeep costs should make up your mind of going with an auto or manual. I believe they both have equal pros and cons. I went with a manual in my JK just because I'm one of those that believes a Jeep isn't a Jeep unless it's a stick shift. However, I now wish I would've went with an auto for the simple fact that it would just be easier on my daily commute.

spicoli

I'll just put this here because it is funny.
1403265_10205449307382113_4658541755911660401_o.jpg

My prior vehicle was a 2006 Xterra, offroaded with it, had water over the bonnet a few times crossing rivers, towed a car on trailer many times, over 140k miles and original clutch. Out of the 16 cars I have owned, the only time I have had to replace a clutch was on one car, but I had virtually doubled the output (180hp@engine stock, when I was done 304whp which is roughly 350crank hp).

Either way the OP goes he will be fine. Pick what you like and don't worry what others think if it is what you want.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Here's a good article to read on Jeep manual vs autos off-road. Unanimous decision for manual for getting-you-home reliability.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1105-manual-vs-auto-jeep-transmission/

Meh, the article doesn't really talk about the current 6 speed vs the 5 speed. Doing some googling on the NSG370 (Chrysler 6 speed) vs the W5A580 and you will start to see the scale tip in the other direction. The A580 has been proven to withstand 738ft/lbs of torque and a LOT of abuse. It was a parts bin part used by Chrysler from the days of Daimler benz, and lucky for us, that was one part we are glad to have. It is WAAAAY overbuilt for a JK (which is nice.) The NSG370, just from google results (including many forums, like Eddie's old one) and you see many reports of members having issues with noises, throwout bearings, clunky 1-2 shifts, gear pop outs on cold days, etc. I don't want to link JKF here, but there is a thread with a poll regarding rough 1-2 shifts, and 55.74% of members that voted report this issue. Now granted, rough shifts are usually more of an annoyance rather than an issue, but the inconsistency of performance would personally give me a hard time sleeping when 100 miles away from civilization. After some more googling (which the OP is free to do on his own and make up his own mind) I came across our very own...

If I remember correctly, Eddie spent quite a lot of time and a decent chunk of change chasing it down before throwing in the towel.

Finally, an interesting observation....a buddy of mine had a manual YJ with the dreaded Pugeot transmission. The author in the article claims that he has never blown one up, and I am inclined to believe him, and this was the same in my buddy's YJ....it ran, but it was horrible...grinding, clunking, popping out of gear, etc etc etc...sure, it got him around, but it was a constant source of headaches. Obviously that old French heap is nothing like the new 6 speed, just trying to compare my personal experience to what is written in the article.

Please note, I am not trying to turn this into an auto vs manual in the traditional forum flamefests. I'm merely trying to make it "consumer advice" for the OP to make a good buying decision with whatever he's happy with...just want him to have all the info.

Last edited:

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
Please note, I am not trying to turn this into an auto vs manual in the traditional forum flamefests. I'm merely trying to make it "consumer advice" for the OP to make a good buying decision with whatever he's happy with...just want him to have all the info.

But that is exactly what your doing.

Armydog

I agree that to each his own is the guiding principle. I always want a Manual if I can have it. And because I run a stick and because I am awesome, stick shifts are by extrapolation more awesomer than automatics............ Case Closed

A nutter drink please

Top Bottom