Manual transmission reliability ?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If I remember correctly, Eddie spent quite a lot of time and a decent chunk of change chasing it down before throwing in the towel.

You are correct, in that Moby spent months at a dealership trying to figure out what was wrong. Thinking is was the transmission. They later found out it was the ring and pinion inside the rear PR 60, which you can read about in the Rubicat thread.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
But that is exactly what your doing.

By telling him the truth and facts? It's no skin off my back if he gets a manual. If that is what he prefers, more power to him. Im only trying to help him make an informed decision with all the facts, both good and bad. One the biggest selling points with the manual, especially for "overlanding" is that it can be bumpstarted.

Having said that, I think the OP has all the info he needs from everyone to go to the dealership and make an informed decision. If he has any questions, he can report back. Cheers!

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
You are correct, in that Moby spent months at a dealership trying to figure out what was wrong. Thinking is was the transmission. They later found out it was the ring and pinion inside the rear PR 60, which you can read about in the Rubicat thread.

Yup the dealer had even suggest it might be his D60 that was causing the problem.

I agree that to each his own is the guiding principle. I always want a Manual if I can have it. And because I run a stick and because I am awesome, stick shifts are by extrapolation more awesomer than automatics............ Case Closed

A nutter drink please

+5 for knowing the word extrapolation. -5 for misusing it in a sentence. Further, the jury finds your grammatical faux pas in the phrase more awesomer cause to sentence you to remedial Internet English grammar training. Your teacher will be Brankz.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Oops! Someone missed that truth and fact! Lol.. Sometimes I think people just try to convince themselves

Not trying to convince myself of anything. I stated that I found that video while googling. As stated, the OP can do his own research on the JK 6 speed and come up with his own conclusion. I don't need convincing because I could have bought a manual, twice, but chose the auto, and am not in the market for a new jeep.

This thread is turning into a "which oil is better" thread.

Agree to disagree. Move on
It's all preference!!!

Oh yeah. The manual gear box in these JK's suck!

lol

Big Max

Sorry i haven't looked at this all day and I see that there has been alot of posts back and forth haha. I am thankful for you guys for taking the time to give me advice and your experiences. I was not worried about spending more money on the auto I just wanted to know that there is no major problems with the transmissions and as far as saving money i was think it could just go to accessories. I think it's all personal preference and either way are both good choices. Like I said I have not driven either yet but will be testing both. I grew up around all manual dump truck and both automatic and manual pickup trucks. I don't expect the jk to be like a sports car. I had a TJ manual and loved it and I have a ford f250 auto and love it too. I will give them both a try and decided.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Sorry i haven't looked at this all day and I see that there has been alot of posts back and forth haha. I am thankful for you guys for taking the time to give me advice and your experiences. I was not worried about spending more money on the auto I just wanted to know that there is no major problems with the transmissions and as far as saving money i was think it could just go to accessories. I think it's all personal preference and either way are both good choices. Like I said I have not driven either yet but will be testing both. I grew up around all manual dump truck and both automatic and manual pickup trucks. I don't expect the jk to be like a sports car. I had a TJ manual and loved it and I have a ford f250 auto and love it too. I will give them both a try and decided.

Excellent. Either way, you'll love your new jeep.

KingCopperhead

I posted a few months ago complaining about my manual after my first wheeling trip.

After seven months and two trips I've changed my tune. It's not a bad transmission. If you can deal with the quirks it has, most notably the noises it makes then you'll be fine. Just know going into it that rock crawling will take more concentration. Now that I've gotten the hang of it (and re geared) I'm happy that I went manual. The control it gives while on and off road is worth it.

Either way, plenty of info here for you to digest. One thing we can all agree on though is that you will be happy with your new jeep. Best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As others have mentioned, the NSG-370 is noisy but not any worse than the old NV3550 in my old TJ - actually, it's probably quitter. The AX-15 you had in your TJ will have be a bit quitter. Having said that, I had found the clutch slave to be the weakest link and was something I had to replace several times in the 100,000 miles I had it. Aside from that, the throwout bearing was the other issue I had with mine and needed to have it replaced at about 60,000 miles. But, the clutch itself lasted the entire time I ran it and I was quite happy about that.

crowrb29

Anyone have any issues with it going into reverse? I really have to press in the clutch and brake and search for it sometimes. Other than that I have had zero issues with it, and it's been through quite a bit of wheeling in the short time I've had it.

Wardell

I've had the problem with my manual being difficult to put from 1st to 2nd or popping out of 2nd when I release the clutch, but only when it's cold (somewhere around -25° and colder) and the Jeep hasn't fully warmed up. Once it warms up its fine.

The transmission was out of my 13' with 2400 miles on it for a bad 1-2 gear mesh (rattled). I also asked them to look at the TOB becaouse it sounded like it had gravel in it. When I got it back the 1/2 rattle was better but now I had a 4-5-6 (intermitant) rattle. It also pops out of 3rd from time to time and the TOB sounds like it is going to explode when it gets hot.

Now that I've been around and wheeled with a lot more JKs I have learned that the hot TOB noise is pretty normal. (It shouldn't be, but it seems to be.)

My 11' has no issues at all. I think the early 13s had some toubles related to noise but seem to be holding together.

While I have had some issues with my transmission, I would happily buy another stick. I prefer it on the road and I like the challenge on the trail. I am able to "3-foot" pretty well from my road racing days so I don't use, or have a hand throttle. This said, I REALLY need to get my gears soon as crawling does require more clutch work than I would like.

If one is green to off-roading I usually recommend an auto. It is tough for someone who has only driven on the road to change their habbits on the trail.

The transmission was out of my 13' with 2400 miles on it for a bad 1-2 gear mesh (rattled). I also asked them to look at the TOB becaouse it sounded like it had gravel in it. When I got it back the 1/2 rattle was better but now I had a 4-5-6 (intermitant) rattle. It also pops out of 3rd from time to time and the TOB sounds like it is going to explode when it gets hot.

Now that I've been around and wheeled with a lot more JKs I have learned that the hot TOB noise is pretty normal. (It shouldn't be, but it seems to be.)

My 11' has no issues at all. I think the early 13s had some toubles related to noise but seem to be holding together.

While I have had some issues with my transmission, I would happily buy another stick. I prefer it on the road and I like the challenge on the trail. I am able to "3-foot" pretty well from my road racing days so I don't use, or have a hand throttle. This said, I REALLY need to get my gears soon as crawling does require more clutch work than I would like.

If one is green to off-roading I usually recommend an auto. It is tough for someone who has only driven on the road to change their habbits on the trail.

My early '13 manual has given me trouble since I got it. I've actually got to call the stealership and get it in for continued issues. If they admit reason enough to tear down and replace parts again (this would be the third time), I'm going to try to get them to do a full transmission replacement.

My early '13 manual has given me trouble since I got it. I've actually got to call the stealership and get it in for continued issues. If they admit reason enough to tear down and replace parts again (this would be the third time), I'm going to try to get them to do a full transmission replacement.

Good luck!

There is a longer story for me that ends with a warning that my Jeep would be flagged!

Oh boy, you may have to send that one to me in a PM if you need some catharsis. :D

:cheesy: No, I'm good.... My issues are with the dealer. They failed to document several visits and I didn't push for paper work as I thought they had my back. (This dealer sponsors my local club.) Bottom-line: I was stupid and they are A-holes.

I've just decided that I will pull it and rebuild it myself...

Zstairlessone

I love shifting mine and have the 6-speed, but if I was in the market today I would have to test the 5-speed auto. Much better than the old 4-speed auto was, stronger and more efficient, in the rocks I think it would make quite a difference. Also, if I had to drive the 405 every day it would be a no brainier - as much as I love standards - I'd have the auto.

Top Bottom