Manual transmission reliability ?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Manual vs auto...it's a big decision. One you have to live with for a while and perhaps forever. No matter what anyone says you just need to be honest with yourself before you come out and decide. People make it a bigger deal than it really is, but it's really simple...

Look, if the idea of grabbing a big black shaft and jerking it around while moving your legs up and down repeatedly excites you--you should get manual. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Manual vs auto...it's a big decision. One you have to live with for a while and perhaps forever. No matter what anyone says you just need to be honest with yourself before you come out and decide. People make it a bigger deal than it really is, but it's really simple...

Look, if the idea of grabbing a big black shaft and jerking it around while moving your legs up and down repeatedly excites you--you should get manual. ;)

:eek: :crazyeyes: :cheesy: :icon_crazy:

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Wow. I just NOW realized why Overlander's Jeep is manual. BAM

JuggernautJKU

The JK manual transmission is alot of fun to drive if you are not picky about the little noises and occasional trouble shifting when cold (if you live up north). Mine is impossible to shift at -20'C in 2nd gear unless i let it warm up. At first it worried me because i bought it used but then i drove another and realized it was the same.

tobias lopez

Lmao!!! 😅😅😅😅

Misterchristo

Manual all the way

I learned to drive on a manual so I guess I'm biased- I have a 2012 manual 6 spd and bought it with 31k on it. Other than replacing the battery, there haven't been any major issues :clap2:

As noted in other posts, I too notice a slight rattle/knock/hum in neutral at the traffic lights with the clutch all the way out. If no one has had serious problems with this then I'll defer to the experiences here and live with it until further notice.

One thing I do notice recently with the onset of Winter is that the shifting is a bit stiff and "notch" going from 1-2-3 after start up- once warmed up though, this disappears and she is all lubed up and ready to rock...:rock:

RubiHB

I think the OP will be just fine and happy if he gets the manual. He already said he likes them and grew up with them. He is not intending to drive it like a race car in "Fourisly Drifting in the Tokyo Thunderdome for 60 Seconds" movies. He ran/runs dump trucks... this tranny will feel like the one out of my vette compared to what he is used to.

Shantz

Neither does leather, ABS, Navi, a sound system, a hard top, heated seats, fuel injection, LED headlights, ESP, and generally any comforts whatsoever. Im sure many of us would love to drive a Jeep equipped like a North Korean prison bathroom. :crazyeyes:

Sorry, just saw this... one of the funniest things I've ever read! :)

With that being said... ah that was funny.

I bought a 2007 manual in May 2014. Right off the bat it would pop out of 1st gear all the time, and occasionally out of 3rd. Had the transmission rebuilt with a 1-2 synco kit... things works like a charm, and wheeling in a manual is exactly for me.

rich67

Caught the Bug
This being my first Jeep I opted for the manual because I love driving stick. I have encountered a steep learning curve while learning to wheel properly with the manual tranny. When I first started, I stalled a lot, rode the clutch a lot, and generally felt frustrated with it. But once I learned when to properly use 4 Lo, what gear to be in to move around and on obstacles properly, it became easier and now I am very comfortable with it. I still have not attempted any major rock-crawling, so I have to reserve comment on that.
The manual in my 13 JKU is clunky, rattles, and makes noises that sound like a diesel truck when I am in neutral and idling. I have learned to live with it, since I am at about 28,000 miles with no issues and it seems to be typical of this transmission. 99% of the time, I am driving with no doors and top, so I don't hear a damn thing anyway. I heard people running it to the dealership, replacing the tranny, replacing the TOB, all to no avail. So I am learning from their vain experiences. Leave it alone.
I love the connection with the Jeep in a manual, but I wonder if my attitude might shift if I decide to do an off-road trip out west and try some rock crawling. Either way, I don't see myself switching to an auto anytime soon-it is all about getting that seat time, learning from others what works and what doesn't, and experimenting yourself with the proper range and gear in any given situation.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I love my manual and I have never had any problems wheeling it. We ran Holy Cross this past year in CO and I wheel Hidden Falls and Barnwell OHV regularly. Never had any issues. It does tick from time to time but I love it anyway. I have driven my father's auto and while it's easy I still prefer making my own choices on gear selection. This is my personal preference. I don't really feel there's much complication or more thinking involved in trying to drive up gnarly shit with a manual, you just drop it in low 1 or 2 and go. Choices on tire placement (and gearing and locking ability) are still the same and primarily what determines your success, what style transmission you have really doesn't play a huge role as long as you know how to drive your rig through the gnarly shit. :D :twocents:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
This being my first Jeep I opted for the manual because I love driving stick. I have encountered a steep learning curve while learning to wheel properly with the manual tranny. When I first started, I stalled a lot, rode the clutch a lot, and generally felt frustrated with it. But once I learned when to properly use 4 Lo, what gear to be in to move around and on obstacles properly, it became easier and now I am very comfortable with it. I still have not attempted any major rock-crawling, so I have to reserve comment on that.
The manual in my 13 JKU is clunky, rattles, and makes noises that sound like a diesel truck when I am in neutral and idling. I have learned to live with it, since I am at about 28,000 miles with no issues and it seems to be typical of this transmission. 99% of the time, I am driving with no doors and top, so I don't hear a damn thing anyway. I heard people running it to the dealership, replacing the tranny, replacing the TOB, all to no avail. So I am learning from their vain experiences. Leave it alone.
I love the connection with the Jeep in a manual, but I wonder if my attitude might shift if I decide to do an off-road trip out west and try some rock crawling. Either way, I don't see myself switching to an auto anytime soon-it is all about getting that seat time, learning from others what works and what doesn't, and experimenting yourself with the proper range and gear in any given situation.

Yea, all that....I prefer to wheel with a frosty fizzy drink in my hand rather than a shifter. :D

Virgil

My wife had the clutch in her 2007 JKU manual blow up on her.
She was running 37s, and probably put 5k miles on it before it was re-geared, all city driving, so that probably put a lot of extra stress on the clutch.
Along with her not exactly the easiest on a clutch, but I would guess this would more simulate some offroad type driving.

It was really a blessing in disguise though. After it went out, I finally got around to the gears, lockers, and put in a new centerforce clutch that made it so much better to drive.
I was worried about it being stiff, because it was stiffer than the stock. I was worried about her pushing the clutch, but it made it so much easier to push, smoother, engaged better, and just made the whole thing more fun to drive.
If I bought another used one with a manual, it would be one of the first things I would change in it.

I ran my 2001 with the 5 speed forever. It made noise the entire time, but never gave me any trouble.
It would grind going into gear when cold, I kept waiting for something to happen to it, but it never failed me.

I ended up getting an Auto this time, which is my first one, and so far I am liking it. Mainly because the wife was very particular on the color, so when we found what we wanted, the only thing it didn't have was a manual.
The new Auto seems to be a pretty good piece. I have liked it a lot so far in the ~3k miles we have had it.

Top Bottom