Metal Cloak Control Arm ring

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had this happen to me on my old two door, i thought it was just because i was ballsy and put a 4" enforcer on a two door and the geometry wasn't right. I don't own the jeep anymore so no harm no fowl, but just wanted to throw it out there that this happened to me on an evo arm also.

My point for bringing this up was, no manufacturer is perfect, i hope you get good customer service and your issue resolved.

That would be the first I've ever heard of a Currie Johnny Joint (what EVO uses) to blow out like this. Granted, I just run a DTD with 14" of vertical travel so maybe that's why I've never seen it happen before.

No manufacturer may be perfect but unlike you, the problem the OP is having isn't the first that I've heard. Of course, what would I know.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
That would be the first I've ever heard of a Currie Johnny Joint (what EVO uses) to blow out like this. Granted, I just run a DTD with 14" of vertical travel so maybe that's why I've never seen it happen before.

No manufacturer may be perfect but unlike you, the problem the OP is having isn't the first that I've heard. Of course, what would I know.

Yeah, i was honestly surprised that it happened, after a few minutes if searching for the rattle i was hearing, i found a similar situation to the OPs original picture. One quick phone call to evo and a picture sent via email bc i had a hard time precisely explaining what was wrong bc of my lack of knowledge of the parts, they sent me out a replacement and stood by their product. Thats why I'm a typical " wayalife evo fanboy" as we often get. My case is the only I've ever heard of.

You should of heard me on the phone with them trying to explain my situation lol you would have thought i was trying to explain brain surgery to them lol my lack of knowledge of the terminology was quite awful hahaha

Brianmly

Get a couple of oversized washers that fit the outer size of the joint and an all thread bolt that fits in the joint, 1/2" bolt and flange nut and smaller washers. make sure to get it long enough so you can use a socket between the oversized washers. The smaller washers should fit inside the joint to compress and allow the c-clip to fit back in

Tighten to compress the joint and insert the c-clip.

A currie johnny joint tool makes it easier but ths works in a pinch

I will give that a try.....Thanks for the help.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

This! I've never heard of a Johnny joint doing this.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Get a couple of oversized washers that fit the outer size of the joint and an all thread bolt that fits in the joint, 1/2" bolt and flange nut and smaller washers. make sure to get it long enough so you can use a socket between the oversized washers. The smaller washers should fit inside the joint to compress and allow the c-clip to fit back in

Tighten to compress the joint and insert the c-clip.

A currie johnny joint tool makes it easier but ths works in a pinch

On the trail and in a pinch, that or a Currie Johnny Joint tool works pretty good but at home and in your garage, using a cheap Harbor Freight shop press will make this job a lot easier and it can be done in about 1 minute.

IMG_5809.jpg

Brianmly

On the trail and in a pinch, that or a Currie Johnny Joint tool works pretty good but at home and in your garage, using a cheap Harbor Freight shop press will make this job a lot easier and it can be done in about 1 minute.

View attachment 201189

I will have too swing by and pick one up.....Sounds a little easier. I will wait until I speak to them tomorrow to see if they had anything in mind as far as swapping out the arm or just a "my bad" have fun putting it back in.
But it looks like I will need to invest in the tool for a trail repair though. It wasn't something that crossed my mind to have on hand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will have too swing by and pick one up.....Sounds a little easier. I will wait until I speak to them tomorrow to see if they had anything in mind as far as swapping out the arm or just a "my bad" have fun putting it back in.
But it looks like I will need to invest in the tool for a trail repair though. It wasn't something that crossed my mind to have on hand.

It really SHOULDN'T be something you "need" to have on hand.

chitown35

LOSER
It really SHOULDN'T be something you "need" to have on hand.

I've read about a number of people having this issue, but everyone I've seen so far has noticed before or during install.

I know the OP didn't notice it until after a few trail runs, but personally I'm still currently thinking it's an assembly issue more than a "it just pops out on the trail" issue where you would need to carry that tool with.

Rottenbelly

I've read about a number of people having this issue, but everyone I've seen so far has noticed before or during install.

I know the OP didn't notice it until after a few trail runs, but personally I'm still currently thinking it's an assembly issue more than a "it just pops out on the trail" issue where you would need to carry that tool with.
I agree with you on this. I checked mine when I got them and they were fine. I took mine apart about once a year to grease them and reassembled them. They can be tricky to get seated but with the proper tools I didn't have a problem with them.

Your flex would have to be insane to pop them out.
I scored a 860 on there CTI trailer and still had room before maxing out the bushing.
Out of all the rigs tested ,The top score for EJS 2014 on the CTI trailer was 1060. 860 was good for 7th place tie.
So I guess I will be a continued fanboy.

Last edited:

Moochie

I agree with you on this. I checked mine when I got them and they were fine. I took mine apart about once a year to grease them and reassembled them. They can be tricky to get seated but with the proper tools I didn't have a problem with them.

I scored a 860 on there CTI trailer and still had room before maxing out the bushing.
Out of all the rigs tested ,The top score for EJS 2014 on the CTI trailer was 1060. 860 was good for 7th place tie.

I've never taken my EVO control arms apart in about 4 years. Just a little grease and all is good.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I guess it sucks that I got Johnny Joints. In almost 8 years and over 130,000 miles, I have NEVER taken mine apart for any reason and have never needed to check them during install.

:cheesy: LOL at placing 7th for getting a score on some kind of silly trailer. Without question, that has to be way more effective in telling you how well something works vs. hard miles on the trail. :crazyeyes:

Rottenbelly

I've never taken my EVO control arms apart in about 4 years. Just a little grease and all is good.
Ok....
I did just to document and inspect. I had them early on when they first came out and wanted to keep folks informed on how they were holding up. 4 years later they still have the original bushing and snap rings and show minimal wear on the bushing and arms.

Rottenbelly

I guess it sucks that I got Johnny Joints. In almost 8 years and over 130,000 miles, I have NEVER taken mine apart for any reason and have never needed to check them during install.

:cheesy: LOL at getting 7th place for getting a score on some kind of silly trailer. Without question, that has to be way more effective in telling you how well something works vs. hard miles on the trail. :crazyeyes:

I know you are just try to help by some reading I've done on here. Here's some of your own words....

what i don't get is that i am honestly trying to save people money by providing good and accurate information. perhaps with the money they save, they could get things they really could use like rocker guards, new tires, new gears, etc. unfortunately, there are people who are determined to believe what they want to believe and really, that's fine by me 

So with that being said...
Works fine on the trail. I have wheeled them in parks all across the US and all over utah.
But like you always say I'm just a mall crawler,what would I know.

I personally stand by my choice to run there products until orherwise.
It's my jeep and my money and I'm going to build it my way.
But all half the folks on here what to try to cut a person down for that.
But anyways, continue on...
Thanks, Metalcloak fanboy#1 over and out!

Brianmly

The runs that I did didn't really have any huge amount of flex to them.....mainly just poorly maintained forest roads with some simple runs at Evans creek.
As far as inspection before the install, I looked at them but honestly I didn't see/pay to much attention to how well they were seated.

Rottenbelly

The runs that I did didn't really have any huge amount of flex to them.....mainly just poorly maintained forest roads with some simple runs at Evans creek.
As far as inspection before the install, I looked at them but honestly I didn't see/pay to much attention to how well they were seated.
They clip in pretty good when fully seated. I bought a good set of snap ring pliers to put them in and out.
Otherwise it's a pain to get them out....Unless they pop out!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know you are just try to help by some reading I've done on here. Here's some of your own words....

what i don't get is that i am honestly trying to save people money by providing good and accurate information. perhaps with the money they save, they could get things they really could use like rocker guards, new tires, new gears, etc. unfortunately, there are people who are determined to believe what they want to believe and really, that's fine by me

Yup, all true. It bothers me to see guys buying a product based on fanboy reviews only to find that poor quality control has left them with a part that has failed. It'd be one thing if it were just the OP who was experiencing this but the fact of the matter is, A LOT of people have seen this. Even another member, sjd78 pointed out that "this has happened before and they [MetalCloak] admit they've had issues with quality control during assembly of the joint snap rings." This isn't an isolated incident and if someone who might be considering this kit see this thread, it is my hope that I can help shine light on the FACTS and share some of my experiences as well. Of course, they can take what I say for what it's worth - not like I have photos or videos to back up anything I might have to say anyway.

So with that being said...
Works fine on the trail. I have wheeled them in parks all across the US and all over utah.

:yawn37: I'm so impressed.

But like you always say I'm just a mall crawler,what would I know.

I dunno - you know enough to come looking for any thread that might show your beloved product in a bad light and to post up on it as if your manhood were being questioned. :crazyeyes:

I personally stand by my choice to run there products until orherwise.
It's my jeep and my money and I'm going to build it my way.

As you should. It is after all, your money and your Jeep and you should do whatever it is you want with both.

That being said, a guy came on here to share a problem he had with the product that HE chose to buy. In spite of what you choose to believe, any disparaging comments regarding this product is not some kind of indictment of you, how you choose to spend your money or your Jeep. :rolleyes2:

But all half the folks on here what to try to cut a person down for that.

Uh, just because you measure your manhood with the products you choose to buy and are easily offended by others pointing out FACTS about it and/or sharing their experiences doesn't mean anyone here is trying to "cut a person down" for buying it. :naw:

But anyways, continue on...
Thanks, Metalcloak fanboy#1 over and out!

At least you can admit it :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It amazes me that none of this seems to bother you - I mean, that your joint just popped out like that. The fact that anyone would need to look over a NEW assembled product for defects or poor quality control is just mind boggling.

Rottenbelly

Yup, all true. It bothers me to see guys buying a product based on fanboy reviews only to find that poor quality control has left them with a part that has failed.

At least you can admit it :thumb:

Thanks, I plan on running there stuff again on my new jeep but you never know, if I have problems I may have to say Dang that Eddie was right..... maybe then I can convert to a Evo fanboy #1

I guess I kinda see it in a different light. A snap ring popping out doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I dont see it as a failure that's gonna leave you stranded. I would be more concerned with the bending tabs on upper arms than that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, I plan on running there stuff again on my new jeep but you never know

AS YOU SHOULD! It's your money, your Jeep and I really do believe that you should do whatever you want with both.

if I have problems I may have to say Dang that Eddie was right.....

And I say this with all sincerity - I'm not looking to be "right" and I would hope you never have any problems with your future MetalCloak products as that would suck.

maybe then I can convert to a Evo fanboy #1

Technically, you would convert to being a Currie fanboy as they are the ones who make Johnny Joints. As far as I go, with the exception of their joints and steering components, I'm not really a fan of them as a company or a lot of the products they make. I don't like their axles, I can't stand their hugely popular Antirock sway bar and I don't like the springs they use in their lift kits. But, I digress.

I guess I kinda see it in a different light. A snap ring popping out doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I dont see it as a failure that's gonna leave you stranded. I would be more concerned with the bending tabs on upper arms than that.

You're absolutely right, a blown joint will not leave you high and dry. That being said, if I paid over $300 for a set of control arms or well over $1000 for a full set of arms, I would expect them to be made well, without defects and with quality control in mind. But hey, that's just me.

Top Bottom