Metal Cloak Control Arm ring

Rottenbelly

AS YOU SHOULD! It's your money, your Jeep and I really do believe that you should do whatever you want with both.

And I say this with all sincerity - I'm not looking to be "right" and I would hope you never have any problems with your future MetalCloak products as that would suck.

Technically, you would convert to being a Currie fanboy as they are the ones who make Johnny Joints. As far as I go, with the exception of their joints and steering components, I'm not really a fan of them as a company or a lot of the products they make. I don't like their axles, I can't stand their hugely popular Antirock sway bar and I don't like the springs they use in their lift kits. But, I digress.

You're absolutely right, a blown joint will not leave you high and dry. That being said, if I paid over $300 for a set of control arms or well over $1000 for a full set of arms, I would expect them to be made well, without defects and with quality control in mind. But hey, that's just me.
Agreed:thumb:

Brianmly

It amazes me that none of this seems to bother you - I mean, that your joint just popped out like that. The fact that anyone would need to look over a NEW assembled product for defects or poor quality control is just mind boggling.

I never said I wasn't bothered.....I am bothered that I have already taken the time to install a product that I now have to go back and fix, granted not a big fix, but a fix none the less. But I'm already in it this far there's not much I can do about it now, as far as I know anyway.

"The fact that anyone would need to look over a NEW assembled product"

That is why is didn't pay close attention to the rings.....its new, I shouldn't. But once again, I'm in it this far. I'll let you know how they decide to take care of it. I don't want to take it off and fix it now if they have another idea, i.e. New arm or whatever. I just want to do the job once, not including the install.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And that's the real issue at hand. When people try to defend and make excuses for a company just because they chose to spend their hard earned dollars on a product that the company makes and sells, there's nothing to push them to try harder or to do better. I know it's hard for some to see and understand but from my perspective, I like to try and put their feet to the fire. I want them to feel the consequences of doing a shitty job - I want them to try harder, to fix their mistakes and do better than to just offer, "good customer service". If they can rise to the occasion and do that, EVERYONE benefits from it. If they can't or if they won't, they should die on the vine so far as I'm concerned. Of course, that's just my opinion.

chitown35

LOSER
And that's the real issue at hand. When people try to defend and make excuses for a company just because they chose to spend their hard earned dollars on a product that the company makes and sells, there's nothing to push them to try harder or to do better. I know it's hard for some to see and understand but from my perspective, I like to try and put their feet to the fire. I want them to feel the consequences of doing a shitty job - I want them to try harder, to fix their mistakes and do better than to just offer, "good customer service". If they can rise to the occasion and do that, EVERYONE benefits from it. If they can't or if they won't, they should die on the vine so far as I'm concerned. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I'm with you on holding someone's feet to the fire, but you can't blame someone who purchased expensive products for being a fanboy or "loyalty" in a public forum. If the company (specifically smaller ones like MC) gets a bad rap and goes out of business then the customer is really up a creek.

As far as metalcloak specifically, I think they do some things great, but follow-through is not one of them (I'm still waiting months later for them to finish resolving some documentation issues I pointed out to them that their "board of directors" was copied on). They really should focus on development, testing, marketing, and support, and step up or outsource their manufacturing, QA, and documentation.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with you on holding someone's feet to the fire, but you can't blame someone who purchased expensive products for being a fanboy or "loyalty" in a public forum.

:cheesy: In other words, you aren't with me on holding someone's feet to the fire and don't have a clue as to what that really means. As far as fanboys go, I completely understand that there are people who are unwilling to consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, they got suckered into buying something based on good advertising and positive reviews given by other fanboys. I mean, to do that would mean they may have made a mistake and I do understand that there are a lot of people who are unwilling to do that especially after spending a considerable amount of money on something.

If the company (specifically smaller ones like MC) gets a bad rap and goes out of business then the customer is really up a creek.

Wow... I mean, just wow. That is just some of the craziest logic I have ever heard. I mean, to think that anyone would go around on the internet looking for threads with disparaging comments regarding a product they chose to buy and to defend the company who made it so that they won't go out of business is just nuts. But of course, that's just me.

As far as metalcloak specifically, I think they do some things great, but follow-through is not one of them (I'm still waiting months later for them to finish resolving some documentation issues I pointed out to them that their "board of directors" was copied on). They really should focus on development, testing, marketing, and support, and step up or outsource their manufacturing, QA, and documentation.

Matson is a sharp guy and if there's one thing he does really well and I mean LIGHTYEARS AHEAD of his competition, it's really good marketing. Do I think there's potential for him to make good products? You bet, but not if there's so many fanboys out there willing to make excuse for and defending him for making substandard products. Of course, that's just my opinion.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
:cheesy: In other words, you aren't with me on holding someone's feet to the fire and don't have a clue as to what that really means. As far as fanboys go, I completely understand that there are people who are unwilling to consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, they got suckered into buying something based on good advertising and positive reviews given by other fanboys. I mean, to do that would mean they may have made a mistake and I do understand that there are a lot of people who are unwilling to do that especially after spending a considerable amount of money on something.

Wow... I mean, just wow. That is just some of the craziest logic I have ever heard. I mean, to think that anyone would go around on the internet looking for threads with disparaging comments regarding a product they chose to buy and to defend the company who made it so that they won't go out of business is just nuts. But of course, that's just me.

Matson is a sharp guy and if there's one thing he does really well and I mean LIGHTYEARS AHEAD of his competition, it's really good marketing. Do I think there's potential for him to make good products? You bet, but not if there's so many fanboys out there willing to make excuse and defend him for making substandard products. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Slow it down. He doesn't know what holding someone's feet to the fire means, you think he knows what disparaging means? Lol

chitown35

LOSER
:cheesy: In other words, you aren't with me on holding someone's feet to the fire and don't have a clue as to what that really means.

No, I am with you. If you think I don't have a clue about what that means, please explain. But I am not with your expectation that everyone that is not yourself needs to do it the second any one thing happens, no matter how small, when they are literally invested in the product.

As far as fanboys go, I completely understand that there are people who are unwilling to consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, they got suckered into buying something based on good advertising and positive reviews given by other fanboys. I mean, to do that would mean they may have made a mistake and I do understand that there are a lot of people who are unwilling to do that especially after spending a considerable amount of money on something.

Some people are willing to accept certain negatives in something they buy for what they use it for, while others look for different attributes in a product. Your statement presumes to know a lot about everyone else's motives, needs, and thought processes without asking any questions of them.

Wow... I mean, just wow. That is just some of the craziest logic I have ever heard. I mean, to think that anyone would go around on the internet looking for threads with disparaging comments regarding a product they chose to buy and to defend the company who made it so that they won't go out of business is just nuts.

I didn't say anyone went around the internet looking for posts to defend. Just offering an alternative explanation as to why someone who is invested in a product might not be quick to jump on the bandwagon against a company.

Slow it down. He doesn't know what holding someone's feet to the fire means, you think he knows what disparaging means? Lol

Pretty sure it means this post, and you. Congrats.

Anyway, I'm sure none of this is helping the OP with his current situation, so for that I apologize and hopefully we can get back to the topic at hand.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No, I am with you. If you think I don't have a clue about what that means, please explain.

Ummm, maybe the fact that you on the one hand will say that "I am with you" BUT "you can't blame someone who purchased expensive products for being a fanboy or "loyalty" in a public forum". :naw:

But I am not with your expectation that everyone that is not yourself needs to do it the second any one thing happens, no matter how small, when they are literally invested in the product.

Never said that people need to "do it the second any one thing happens, no matter how small". What I am referring to are "fanboys" - guys who go out of their way looking for threads regarding products that they chose buy and with the purpose of promoting or defending it as if their manhood were on the line.

Some people are willing to accept certain negatives in something they buy for what they use it for, while others look for different attributes in a product. Your statement presumes to know a lot about everyone else's motives, needs, and thought processes without asking any questions of them.

Some people are in fact pretty stupid or at least, in my opinion but it is your statement that presumes to have any clue as to what my motives and thought processes are and without asking any kind of questions.

I didn't say anyone went around the internet looking for posts to defend.

But I DID. That's what fanboys do and they are who I was referring to. :naw:

Just offering an alternative explanation as to why someone who is invested in a product might not be quick to jump on the bandwagon against a company.

Funny, I don't think I or anyone had ever asked for an "alternative explanation" as to why you think some people "might not be quick to jump on the bandwagon against a company". I realize that you're just hear to preach but if you took the time, you'd see that nobody here had ever suggested as much. :naw:

Anyway, I'm sure none of this is helping the OP with his current situation, so for that I apologize and hopefully we can get back to the topic at hand.

You're right, you've done NOTHING to help the OP with his current situation.

geberhard

Douchebag
Gosh this thread derailed pretty fast :D From the OP, any updates? It almost sounds like an assembly issue. I have never had issues with Johnny Joints and had been lucky even running Rubicon Express arms. I think most parts pushed hard one way or another will wear out, but as mentioned if you are paying a good chunk of cash you expect the stuff to work.

I am debating what suspension I will be going with on the ton swap, but on the same page want the stuff to do well on the road and trail. I have looked at EVO, MC, RE, RK and others out there, and may end up doing a mix and match of what will work for my rig.

To the OP, please report back on what happened with your stuff and MC and what will be done about it.

Thanks!

Brianmly

Gosh this thread derailed pretty fast :D From the OP, any updates? It almost sounds like an assembly issue. I have never had issues with Johnny Joints and had been lucky even running Rubicon Express arms. I think most parts pushed hard one way or another will wear out, but as mentioned if you are paying a good chunk of cash you expect the stuff to work.

I am debating what suspension I will be going with on the ton swap, but on the same page want the stuff to do well on the road and trail. I have looked at EVO, MC, RE, RK and others out there, and may end up doing a mix and match of what will work for my rig.

To the OP, please report back on what happened with your stuff and MC and what will be done about it.

Thanks!

They responded right away this morning and they think it may not have been properly seated. I'm going to try and reseat it and if it won't go in or if it comes out again they will just replace the arm.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Another failure? For those of you running metalcloak lifts with the front lower shock relocation brackets. Keep an eye on them, this happened to my friends jeep for the 4th time and last. It had ripped the bracket from the tube 3 times prior at the welds, I kept giving him shit for shitty welds, he finally added a 3/16" plate to the under side that wrapped around the axle tube a bit to strengthen it, it held up. The steel that the stock bracket was made of finally gave up and sheared. The metal cloak brackets cause too much leverage on the stock shock bracket that has resulted in failure. The other side is twisted but hasn't broke yet. I will try to get more pictures.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462839686.713012.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Another failure? For those of you running metalcloak lifts with the front lower shock relocation brackets. Keep an eye on them, this happened to my friends jeep for the 4th time and last. It had ripped the bracket from the tube 3 times prior at the welds, I kept giving him shit for shitty welds, he finally added a 3/16" plate to the under side that wrapped around the axle tube a bit to strengthen it, it held up. The steel that the stock bracket was made of finally gave up and sheared. The metal cloak brackets cause too much leverage on the stock shock bracket that has resulted in failure. The other side is twisted but hasn't broke yet. I will try to get more pictures.

View attachment 202647

Bummer for your friend. Can't say that I'm surprised.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer

View attachment 202647

Bummer, friend paid hard earned money.

Rottenbelly

So did the Metalcloak bracket actually shear or just the stock axle brackets??
These weren't out years ago when I ran their arms.
I always ran the Nemesis brackets. As many brackets failures the stock axles have I could see the extra leverage not being a good idea.

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
Thanks for sharing the pic of your friends setup. Can you clarify, it looks like the stock mounts sheared, not the relocation bracket? I am trying to understand how the force on the arms would cause that? Could it have been any other arm?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Benito

Caught the Bug
So did the Metalcloak bracket actually shear or just the stock axle brackets??
These weren't out years ago when I ran their arms.
I always ran the Nemesis brackets. As many brackets failures the stock axles have I could see the extra leverage not being a good idea.

Thanks for sharing the pic of your friends setup. Can you clarify, it looks like the stock mounts sheared, not the relocation bracket? I am trying to understand how the force on the arms would cause that? Could it have been any other arm?

Thanks!

The stock shock bracket sheared, but was caused by their shock relocation bracket being a big lever. The arms did t play a part in this, I didn't want to create a new thread. However this same friend has experienced the same thing the OP did several weeks ago as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah but I bet their customer service rocks!!!!!!!

:cheesy:

The stock shock bracket sheared, but was caused by their shock relocation bracket being a big lever. The arms did t play a part in this, I didn't want to create a new thread. However this same friend has experienced the same thing the OP did several weeks ago as well.

In other words, it's a flawed design. Clearly, someone didn't know it was necessary to take into account how weak factory mounts are and that without reinforcement, you simply expose them to more stress than they can handle. But to be fair, they're so new at this, I don't know how they could have known.

Top Bottom