Metalcloak vs stock fenders

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a tj by the way. Idk if you thought I had a jk and that's why someone thought 3 inches is too big for 33s

Sorry, I was one of those guys who missed the TJ part and had since edited my post. Don't know if you saw it but yes, 3" of lift for 33's will be a good fit. I ran that setup for years on my old TJ and it worked out great.

sm31

I have the 3.5" lift from dpgoffroad, with 33's on my TJ. At full stuff I had some minor rubbing on the trimmed stock fenders... but that's been resolved thanks to the car thieves who bashed in the front end of my jeep when they stole it.

I lucked out, got the jeep back somewhat worse for the wear, and was able to install Poison Spyder fenders for roughly the same price as stock replacements. Been really happy with the quality so far, and even though I really don't care about how my jeep looks (especially to other people), I guess they're OK.

R3D4UM

I did a lot of reading here, my main source for quality and useful information, and I chose Metalcloak fenders. With respect to Eddie and anyone else that doesn't like the Metalcloak look, I get it. My personal choice was mine alone, I accept the consequences if it causes damage, but I don't have the rears on and run the thin fronts. Tires will hit way before the fenders. I do admit my experience is no where near anyone else on this forum. Which means I may have made a bad choice. So take it for what it's worth.

IMG_2650.JPG IMG_2647.JPG

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have Metalcloak Fenders with a 4" flare. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like them. As far as cost goes, you can do MUCH more with $1300 than dumping it into fenders. If I could go back, I probably wouldn't have bought these.

Before the fenders:

21473_10209356485527923_4058348630365617905_n.jpg

After:

attachment.php

That's 33s on an essentially stock suspension. 2" spacers in the front to compensate for the weight of the winch, bumper, etc.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I have Metalcloak Fenders with a 4" flare. They aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I like them. As far as cost goes, you can do MUCH more with $1300 than dumping it into fenders. If I could go back, I probably wouldn't have bought these.

Before the fenders:

21473_10209356485527923_4058348630365617905_n.jpg

After:

attachment.php

That's 33s on an essentially stock suspension. 2" spacers in the front to compensate for the weight of the winch, bumper, etc.

I've seen your jeep on this forum quite a few times already. I must say I really like the way those look on your TJ. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I've seen your jeep on this forum quite a few times already. I must say I really like the way those look on your TJ. [emoji106]

Thank you.

I like them, just wish I hadn't spent what I did on them. When I first got into Jeeping, I wanted them so bad.. strictly based on looks. Now that I have them, I'm kind of over them and wish I had never dropped that much money into something as lame as fenders lol.

Kenthejeepguy

I've ripped off the factory fenders one too many times, and crinkled the metal part of my front fender also. After debating and looking at all the options I decided to go with metal cloak fenders this spring. I just added 35s, too. I'm hoping it will stop further damage but I haven't given it a good try out yet this season. They certainly are sturdy enough, and I like the looks.

IMG_2794.JPG

sm31

I have no experience with the Metalcloak fenders so I can't speak to this aspect of them but... I have noticed the Poison Spyder Defenders are providing more protection from spray and mud than my lightly trimmed stock fenders did. My wheels don't have much offset so they "peek" out from under the fenders a bit. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Defenders seem to provide more protection on the rear 1/3 portion (where most of the spray and mud comes from), as well as more clearance in general. Since my stock fenders were bashed by the car thieves I had to replace them anyway, and I'm happy with my choice.

Here is the before & after... they are the aluminum version (for weight & crumple zone...), and I'll be painting them black whenever I get around to it.
I apologize for the requisite poser shot but it's what I had with the stock fenders...

Edit: Just found numerous posts addressing the issue of "strong" fenders damaging body panels, sub frame, etc...

Attachments

• 20170620_212627.jpg
    20170620_212627.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 146
  • compressed.jpg
    compressed.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Kenthejeepguy

"I have no experience with the Metalcloak fenders so I can't speak to this aspect of them but... I have noticed the Poison Spyder Defenders are providing more .... "

Looks good!

sm31

Thanks! Yours too!

By the way, you mentioned the Metalcloaks were quite sturdy. I have no idea whether this this is true (hope I don't find out) but I ended up purchasing aluminum fenders for a few reasons. 1) 38 lbs lighter than the steel version! 2) No rust. 3) Serves as a potential crumple zone.

The crumple zone issue was brought up by another TJ guy that I have massive respect for (Jerry Bransford). One of his reasons for choosing PS aluminum fenders was a concern that tube fenders have gotten so strong that they could potentially transfer a shock into a more vital and expensive area rather than absorbing the force themselves via bending, flexing, etc.

On the other hand, Poison Spyder has discontinued the aluminum Defenders because they are not as strong as the steel version & they may not PS standards over the long haul. (there are still several sets in stock though)

Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that tube fenders can be "too strong" for certain applications?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
^^ If by "too strong" you mean will they cause damage to your Jeep's body then yes, pretty much all aftermarket flares (including some of the plastic ones) are too strong.

LetsGoMuddin

I've been really happy with my Metalcloak fenders. There's enough space to run bigger tires while you figure out what lift to run. I only have a "1 body lift to tuck my gas tank up but everyone thinks I have a suspension lift.
IMG_4096.jpg
You could also highline the factory fenders to save some money if you like the factory fender look.

Top Bottom