Mopar

JeepRubicon99787

Good question, I will need to check on that as I had the jeep dealer install the kit. I won't be able to check until day after tomorrow as she is currently in for a manufacturer fault found in the front diff, hence the reason I have the pull to the left.

The housing has a slight forward bend 2mm which is also the cause of the "leak".

KingCopperhead

Since we are talking about this lift, any idea if I'll need to change my bump stops if I move from 35 to 37 inch tires?

I know that I'll need to trim my fenders, and I have a 14 so my pinch seam is trimmed from the factory.

Thanks. Already learned a little in this thread, and it's been really helpful.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Since we are talking about this lift, any idea if I'll need to change my bump stops if I move from 35 to 37 inch tires?

I know that I'll need to trim my fenders, and I have a 14 so my pinch seam is trimmed from the factory.

Thanks. Already learned a little in this thread, and it's been really helpful.

most likely yes you may need a little bit longer bumpstop to help prevent rubbing at full flex. also i know your pinch seam is already trimmer from factory but be ready to trim more off of it and same thru the fender well.

KingCopperhead

most likely yes you may need a little bit longer bumpstop to help prevent rubbing at full flex. also i know your pinch seam is already trimmer from factory but be ready to trim more off of it and same thru the fender well.

Steve, when you say fender well, do you mean like through the tub into the body? Or trimming the inner plastic liners inside the fenders.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Steve, when you say fender well, do you mean like through the tub into the body? Or trimming the inner plastic liners inside the fenders.

This area right here that hangs just below where your fenders attach to in the rear. It's part of the body.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416922088.421319.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1416922097.982336.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Gotcha, thanks, I was just googling how to do this. Appreciate the pics! Makes it crystal clear.

your welcome. yea that whole area may need to be trimmed. longer bump stops will keep you fram having to do that but it maybe more bump stop than what you are wanting to run.

KingCopperhead

your welcome. yea that whole area may need to be trimmed. longer bump stops will keep you fram having to do that but it maybe more bump stop than what you are wanting to run.

It would depend on how much flex I lose I guess. Not a big fan of cutting the body but also not a fan of slicing up a 400 dollar tire on a metal body edge. The limit straps on this lift kind of prevent contact already, which I don't necessarily like sometimes. For now it's fine but once I move to different drive shafts, remove the exhaust spacers, and add 37s i might just remove the straps altogether or get longer ones. Such a deep rabbit hole of cash when we start modding these things.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It would depend on how much flex I lose I guess. Not a big fan of cutting the body but also not a fan of slicing up a 400 dollar tire on a metal body edge. The limit straps on this lift kind of prevent contact already, which I don't necessarily like sometimes. For now it's fine but once I move to different drive shafts, remove the exhaust spacers, and add 37s i might just remove the straps altogether or get longer ones. Such a deep rabbit hole of cash when we start modding these things.

well now your talking about something else. limiting straps help control downtravel not uptravel. uptravel is determined by your bump stops. down travel is determined by your shock length. the only time you should need limiting straps is if your running a cantilever system like the rear DTD. the rear DTD can prop get closer to 18" of travel out fo the 8" coilover but the straps limit it to 12-14".

KingCopperhead

well now your talking about something else. limiting straps help control downtravel not uptravel. uptravel is determined by your bump stops. down travel is determined by your shock length. the only time you should need limiting straps is if your running a cantilever system like the rear DTD. the rear DTD can prop get closer to 18" of travel out fo the 8" coilover but the straps limit it to 12-14".

And I learn a little more every day lol.

I always thought that the straps limited up travel as well by limiting how far one side can droop, thus preventing the other side from stuffing up as far.

Honestly, I never really understood why mopar included them in this kit.
Thanks for the clarification man. I feel a little more noobish now but this is how we learn :)

JeepRubicon99787

This goes out to all who installed this kit:

So here's a question, what made you choose this kit over all other's? What sold it for you?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the clip Jk squeeking after lift kit install: http://youtu.be/n-nKJeYamko

Can you reproduce the squeak with your Jeep parked or do you have to be moving in order to make it happen? In other words, can you or a friend rock your Jeep back and forth or bounce up and down on the bumper to make it happen? If so, have someone do it while you lay under your Jeep looking for the sound. A creaking like this will cause whatever is causing it to vibrate so touch things like your control arms, shocks and sway bar links and the sound is being made. Whatever is vibrating the most is probably where your problem is. If you have the TeraFlex control arms, you may have a bushing that is dried out and/or blown. A dry sway bar link bushing can cause this sound as well and a polyurethane shock mount can as well. This is where I would start looking.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And I learn a little more every day lol.

I always thought that the straps limited up travel as well by limiting how far one side can droop, thus preventing the other side from stuffing up as far.

Honestly, I never really understood why mopar included them in this kit.
Thanks for the clarification man. I feel a little more noobish now but this is how we learn :)

What cozdude said is spot on. The only reason why you would need limiting straps is to prevent too much down travel. With a standard coil and shock lift, I really don't know how you could ever get to this point assuming they have both been sized correctly. If they haven't, the straps may be used to help keep the coils from unseating at a full flex but really, that would be stupid. I run limiting straps but only because I run coil overs that offer 14" of vertical travel. Any more droop and my drive lines will bind.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I honestly would prefer to use limit straps to limit down travel instead of letting the shock bottoming out be the limit. But I have only experienced that much travel on a JK on the lift getting tires done, not off road. My current experience is that there isn't that much flex going over a speed bump. That was on my 09 with the older mopar two inch lift. I would say the bilstein shocks were way too long as the rear coils would just fall out. I didn't really notice, but my brake lines may have been what limited the travel. That would scare me more. Oh, and that was a firm riding lift. Not terrible, but firm.

Now DTD, 40s and giant boulders is a whole different level of flex.

KingCopperhead

Yeah they definitely don't seem like a necessity at all. But hey, it's a teraflex lift at the end of the day and we all know how sound their engineering is.

Thanks for the advice and information guys. Over time I'll get most of this lift swapped out for what I really want. In the meantime I'm not unhappy with it. Has some quirks but the jeep is a pleasure to drive both on and off road. Once I graduate to more difficult terrain I may change my mind. Time will tell.

Jtmw

So I have been looking at lift after lift trying to figure out what lift would be the best for what I want to do and what I really like and for some reason I keep coming back to the Mopar Stage 3 lift with fox shocks terraflex speedbumps it seems like a great lift all in one everything you might want in a lift my question to you guys is is it everything someone is going to need in a 3" lift it says on mopar that you dont have to worry about driveline and re-allignment is that true with this lift? Im new to this all and just want to do the right thing once lifts and those 35's are not cheap! Here is a link to the lift for those who have not heard of it http://www.teraflex.biz/mopar-stage-3-series-3-lift-kit.html thanks for the help!

Check out my build thread, I'm running 35s on 1.5 inch and have all adjustable lowers and a front rac bar and lines and it works GREAT. Bombproof stuff over here. Love Rock Krawler! Not out of your budget either. Gets a 6/5 stars on my end.

Top Bottom