Mouse Hunt

I use bounce sheets in the engine compartment. Since I started using those I haven’t had mice in the compartment again. You do have to take them out before you drive though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I use bounce sheets in the engine compartment. Since I started using those I haven’t had mice in the compartment again. You do have to take them out before you drive though.

I tried that, and the irish spring soap. They made a nest with the dryer sheets and they ate the soap. I hate mice. Snap traps work okay, but I don't have time to keep checking and resetting them.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I have been catching quite a few mice using the raisin method, but lately they have been licking the peanut butter off the raisin.

Just about 30 minutes ago I switched it up on them and started using the cotton off of a q-tip with peanut butter and already got 1!

jesse3638

Hooked
I have been catching quite a few mice using the raisin method, but lately they have been licking the peanut butter off the raisin.

Just about 30 minutes ago I switched it up on them and started using the cotton off of a q-tip with peanut butter and already got 1!
Nice. Yeah I can see how mashing peanut butter into the cotton would work well. How's the mouse problem coming along anyway?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Peanut butter, I nailed 6 inside of two hours one night... now only once in a while. Make sure you get the peanut butter in the trap well... make them have to work for it... and Bang!!

Jsouder53

Hooked
Nice. Yeah I can see how mashing peanut butter into the cotton would work well. How's the mouse problem coming along anyway?

It’s coming along great! I’ve been slowly sealing up the house at the same time of trapping them. the noises at night have slowed waaaaaaaaay down which I’m happy about, and a lot less poop along the base boards [emoji106]

Peanut butter, I nailed 6 inside of two hours one night... now only once in a while. Make sure you get the peanut butter in the trap well... make them have to work for it... and Bang!!

That’s crazy! When we first set the traps, we definitely got a few. Not that quick tho! I love hearing that SNAP! [emoji23]

jesse3638

Hooked
We've got something living in the ceiling in our office. It's big what ever it is. We also heard some sliding which sounded like a snake up there. We have some big gopher snakes and one managed to get into out engine bay roof one year.

Caught this little guy and I hiked him back to the mountains behind my station. If he was an adult he wouldn't have been so lucky.
IMAG2810.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
We've got something living in the ceiling in our office. It's big what ever it is. We also heard some sliding which sounded like a snake up there. We have some big gopher snakes and one managed to get into out engine bay roof one year.

Caught this little guy and I hiked him back to the mountains behind my station. If he was an adult he wouldn't have been so lucky.
View attachment 313105

Good catch lol how long was he? And is he poisonous?

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm of the thought process that the only good snake is a dead snake 🐍
Only if they have rattles (all poisonous ones on the west coast have them.) Otherwise they are cool.
Good catch lol how long was he? And is he poisonous?
This is a Mojave rattlesnake. It is very poisonous. He was maybe 6-8" long. A yearling, as he only had one button on his tail so it can't rattle yet. While they are often called a Mojave green because of their green coloring (This one was slightly green) this is incorrect. They can be orange and reddish too.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Only if they have rattles (all poisonous ones on the west coast have them.) Otherwise they are cool.

This is a Mojave rattlesnake. It is very poisonous. He was maybe 6-8" long. A yearling, as he only had one button on his tail so it can't rattle yet. While they are often called a Mojave green because of their green coloring (This one was slightly green) this is incorrect. They can be orange and reddish too.

That’s sketch to me [emoji51] not a fan of snakes that can kill you. Haven’t seen any around here yet, but my coworker was telling me about his wife that almost stepped on a rattle snake not too long ago.

jesse3638

Hooked
That’s sketch to me [emoji51] not a fan of snakes that can kill you. Haven’t seen any around here yet, but my coworker was telling me about his wife that almost stepped on a rattle snake not too long ago.
Yeah I stay outside of striking distance and have never tried, or will try grabbing one with my hand..haha. Got this one with a rake. He was also small I knew I could carry it by the handle and he couldn't get me. If is was an adult we'd have killed it just because we don't need it around the buildings where people are and it would have been tough to catch safely. Now if we find them out hiking or away from the station we leave them be a go around them.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Even a tiny Mojave can jack you up. Their venom (snakes are venomous, not poisonous) is nasty stuff. I’m glad we don’t have Mojaves up here in the Sierras.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Even a tiny Mojave can jack you up. Their venom (snakes are venomous, not poisonous) is nasty stuff. I’m glad we don’t have Mojaves up here in the Sierras.

While we don't have any Mojaves, I sure wouldn't want to be bit by a Great Basin Rattler either. Lots of them around. The tiny ones are particularly bad, because they lack the ability to control how much venom is used. They also can't rattle until they have shed at least three times (around 1 year).

jesse3638

Hooked
Yes I did mis-speak they are venomous. The thing about Mojave venom is that's it's both a hemo and neuro toxin. Usually it's one or the other, but theirs is both.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
While we don't have any Mojaves, I sure wouldn't want to be bit by a Great Basin Rattler either. Lots of them around. The tiny ones are particularly bad, because they lack the ability to control how much venom is used. They also can't rattle until they have shed at least three times (around 1 year).

Yep, baby snakes don’t typically dry bite like some adults do, but given the choice I would take a Great Basin bite over most any rattler. Their venom isn’t nearly as bad as some of the other rattlers out there and the chances of dying from a bite are incredibly low.

Yes I did mis-speak they are venomous. The thing about Mojave venom is that's it's both a hemo and neuro toxin. Usually it's one or the other, but theirs is both.

It’s a nasty venom for sure.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
My 9 year old has more rattler close encounters than anyone else I have ever met. No matter how many times I warn him, it Seems like almost every time we go wheeling in the hotter months he ends up inside of the strike zone of one. Luckily he hasn't found one the hard way yet, I hope he never does.

WJCO

Meme King
When I lived in AZ, I also heard that the Mojave Rattler was much more rare, making the availability of antivenom more rare too. Not sure if that's true or not.

Top Bottom