Mouse Hunt

jesse3638

Hooked
When I lived in AZ, I also heard that the Mojave Rattler was much more rare, making the availability of antivenom more rare too. Not sure if that's true or not.
I've heard that about the antivenin too but I'm not sure. However the majority of rattlers I've come across are Mojave's. I've seen speckled, sidewinders, western and I think black diamond back rattlesnakes. They'll all scare the shit out of you. Hopefully you're not to close because they do blend in well.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I've actually been bit by a Mojave Green.. And a baby.
There's a couple of things, babies are more dangerous because they can'y control the amount of venom they give, they either give you everything or nothing ( I got everything). When you get bit the first ting you notice is a numbness on the tip of your tongue. Babies (and adults) may not have rattles, sometimes they come off so unless you know what you are doing, leave them alone.

Most healthy adults aren't in danger of death from a rattlesnake bite but it is Very painful. As far as antivenom most of the time they don't like to give it unless it's absolutely necessary because it can cause serum sickness which is sometimes much worse than the venom.

I keep a snake stick, about a 6' long broom handle with a hook on it and when I find them I take them away from the house and let them go. They are great mouse hunters.

jesse3638

Hooked
There's a couple of things, babies are more dangerous because they can'y control the amount of venom they give, they either give you everything or nothing ( I got everything). When you get bit the first ting you notice is a numbness on the tip of your tongue. Babies (and adults) may not have rattles, sometimes they come off so unless you know what you are doing, leave them alone.

Most healthy adults aren't in danger of death from a rattlesnake bite but it is Very painful. As far as antivenom most of the time they don't like to give it unless it's absolutely necessary because it can cause serum sickness which is sometimes much worse than the venom.

I keep a snake stick, about a 6' long broom handle with a hook on it and when I find them I take them away from the house and let them go. They are great mouse hunters.
Damn that's scary. I think I'd freak out more knowing I had been bitten than anything else. Yeah I know they are serious injuries and to just stay calm and get medical attention right away. Fortunately Loma Linda is about an hour from here. I did not know that about the antivenin. I do know it is very very expensive.

One morning we met a guy as we were about to go on a PT hike on a section of the PCT. He warned us to be careful of snakes and if we found one to leave it and let him know where it was. He then told us he catches them and milks them and also trains dogs to signal if one is near. We thought he was crazy but he asked us if we wanted to see them (cue the jokes and redneck banjos..haha). Sure enough in about a 4'x8' box were about 25-30 rattle snakes. I thought my coworker who is deathly afraid of snakes was going to pass out..haha.

I like the idea of the snake stick. We'll have to make one to remove them from our station. Don't really like killing them. We also have several gopher snakes around and I'll grab them with my hands. It's fun to chase the guys who freak out over any snake..haha. It's always funny when someone asks "Does it bite?" my response, "Anything with a mouth can bite."

Jsouder53

Hooked

I would probably freak out uncontrollably being bit by a snake such as that one, I’m fine around snakes to begin with... non venomous ones that is lol

Damn that's scary. I think I'd freak out more knowing I had been bitten than anything else. Yeah I know they are serious injuries and to just stay calm and get medical attention right away. Fortunately Loma Linda is about an hour from here. I did not know that about the antivenin. I do know it is very very expensive.

One morning we met a guy as we were about to go on a PT hike on a section of the PCT. He warned us to be careful of snakes and if we found one to leave it and let him know where it was. He then told us he catches them and milks them and also trains dogs to signal if one is near. We thought he was crazy but he asked us if we wanted to see them (cue the jokes and redneck banjos..haha). Sure enough in about a 4'x8' box were about 25-30 rattle snakes. I thought my coworker who is deathly afraid of snakes was going to pass out..haha.

I like the idea of the snake stick. We'll have to make one to remove them from our station. Don't really like killing them. We also have several gopher snakes around and I'll grab them with my hands. It's fun to chase the guys who freak out over any snake..haha. It's always funny when someone asks "Does it bite?" my response, "Anything with a mouth can bite."

That’s pretty cool about the dog training and the milking of snakes! You don’t here of that very often!

jesse3638

Hooked
I would probably freak out uncontrollably being bit by a snake such as that one, I’m fine around snakes to begin with... non venomous ones that is lol

That’s pretty cool about the dog training and the milking of snakes! You don’t here of that very often!
You also don't see 25-30 large rattlesnakes in a huge box except in Indiana Jones...haha. The sound of them all was crazy.

Top Bottom