My Coil-Overs Are Too...

My coil overs are to silver and blue.

Well "THEY" Said They where.....???
I heard from a friend that read about a guys on line who neighbor owns a set of coil overs and he thought the shocks were TOO silver and blue and could weeken the spring rate and durability of the shock according to the book of ANODIZING, powder-coat and plating on page 354.;)

Last edited:

ttfhell

Well "THEY" Said They where.....???
I heard from a friend that read about a guys on line who neighbor owns a set of coil overs and he thought the shocks were TOO silver and blue and could weekend the spring rate and durability of the shock according to the book of ANODIZING, powder-coat and plating on page 354.;)

My book only goes to page 326. I must have the old edition.

The "BadAss" and "PRO" edition of the book of ANODIZING, powder-coat and plating ,should never be mistaken with a book Missing pages 327 and above. Improper diagnosis may occur since everyone knows all the good tech starts on 341

All Joking aside
I had Drew start this thread so we could help walk people through COIL overs and Give some Good Facts.
If we can help let Us Know
Mel

My EVO bolt-on coil overs are riding very well and the improvement to handling has been great! My rear bottoms once in a while, but only when running high air pressure in the tires.

You have choices
increase ride height
adjust coil timing
all thees can be done by you or bring them to the shop
other options
Play with nitrogen pressure
respiring
revalue

this kind of looks like me and Mel in Johnson Valley this weekend! EVOJEEP was doing lots of bucking in the whoops!

SHIT no way.... it ran great...You should not be allowed to drive as fast as you were driving in an off the shelf kit...LOL

Last edited:

GCM 2

SHIT no way it ran great...You should be allowed to drive as fast as you were driving in an off the shelf kit...LOL

It ran 100% better after you dialed in the compression and rebound in the EVO lever! Remember, that off the shelf kit is also 'too fast for stock class' :rock: And that's a good thing!

2012CrushJKU

So ive been reading about the bolt on coilover kit, and I have a couple noobie questions i guess you could call them. When your talking about adjusting the ride height is that changing out one of the spring on the coil over its self or just tightening/loosening the ring thats holding the spring in place? Also I've herd of people talking about the spring rates they are running on their coilovers? Do multiple springs with different rates come in the kit or how does that work? Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So ive been reading about the bolt on coilover kit, and I have a couple noobie questions i guess you could call them. When your talking about adjusting the ride height is that changing out one of the spring on the coil over its self or just tightening/loosening the ring thats holding the spring in place?

We're just talking about setting the adjustment collar at a different height.

Also I've herd of people talking about the spring rates they are running on their coilovers? Do multiple springs with different rates come in the kit or how does that work? Thanks

No. The coil overs just come with the coils EVO sells them with. For most people, this is all you need. Of course, ride quality is 100% subjective and some people carry a ton of gear and passengers and coils of a different spring rate will help give you what you want. They would need to be purchased though.

2012CrushJKU

We're just talking about setting the adjustment collar at a different height.

No. The coil overs just come with the coils EVO sells them with. For most people, this is all you need. Of course, ride quality is 100% subjective and some people carry a ton of gear and passengers and coils of a different spring rate will help give you what you want. They would need to be purchased though.

oh, ok. And thats done by just raising or lowering the top collar?

Is there a way to adjust the compression/rebound with the bolt ons other than changing springs or is that just a feature of the DTD system?

GCM 2

oh, ok. And thats done by just raising or lowering the top collar?

Is there a way to adjust the compression/rebound with the bolt ons other than changing springs or is that just a feature of the DTD system?

On the bolt on kit, it kind of is what it is. EVO has basically had the shock valved for the best all around compression/rebound rates and matched it with a great all around coil spring rate for the 99% of you. You could have the shock re-valved and shimmed to your liking or try new spring rates, but that could takes days of testing to find out through trial and error. EVO really has done all the hard work for you and it's about as good as it can be across the spectrum of different driving environments.

For those of us that have the Double Throw Down set up, we have it a little easier in the fine tuning department. The three tube by-pass shock is easily tunable with an Allen wrench and a open end/close end wrench. However, you really need to know what you are doing when messing with the compression or rebound tubes, you can easily turn a decent ride into something that is almost dangerous to drive on the street.

image-334390095.jpg

xflstl

On the bolt on kit, it kind of is what it is. EVO has basically had the shock valved for the best all around compression/rebound rates and matched it with a great all around coil spring rate for the 99% of you. You could have the shock re-valved and shimmed to your liking or try new spring rates, but that could takes days of testing to find out through trial and error. EVO really has done all the hard work for you and it's about as good as it can be across the spectrum of different driving environments.

For those of us that have the Double Throw Down set up, we have it a little easier in the fine tuning department. The three tube by-pass shock is easily tunable with an Allen wrench and a open end/close end wrench. However, you really need to know what you are doing when messing with the compression or rebound tubes, you can easily turn a decent ride into something that is almost dangerous to drive on the street.

View attachment 62540

Exactly why I have not tried tuning mine, been looking for some sort of how too guide.

Sent from my SCH-I605

My Double Throw Down should be installed soon. It would be nice to have some sort of reference guide to help us that are new to the lifts.

GCM 2

Exactly why I have not tried tuning mine, been looking for some sort of how too guide.

Sent from my SCH-I605

My Double Throw Down should be installed soon. It would be nice to have some sort of reference guide to help us that are new to the lifts.

There is no written reference guide, and that's why suspension settings and tuning shocks are part of the secret sauce to race cars that win. It's why shock manufacturers start at $1000 dollars a day to help race teams tune shocks for their race cars. Drivers have to figuratively and literally be intimate with how the vehicle feels before, during and after shocks are tuned. As Wayoflife honestly has stated so many times that ride quality is subjective and everyone likes a different feel. The other part to shock tuning is having knowledgeable people on the ground watching what a race car does during fly bys over the really big whoops and even the little bumps, doing this can take 50-75% of the guess work out of what needs to be done in the front, the back or both. Unfortunately, for the average guy who is new to all of this, it's mostly going to be trial and error.

2012CrushJKU

View attachment 62540

Oh, ok. That simplifies things for me thanks.

ColeRedRubi

I just got my evo bolt ons installed in front. Is it normal for the slider to make a zzzz noise when the shock is compressed? Only reason I'm asking is cuz one is doing it and the other isn't.

Top Bottom