My Mall Crawler Build

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Very nice. That black and red is killer. What's next for it?

The biggest thing on my list at the moment is to actually get out and wheel it! Honestly, that's harder for me than ordering new parts. Between the family vacations and everything at work, it's hard to find time to take her out. Unfortunately, I don't live close to much so everything requires at least a night away.

In terms of parts, I wouldn't mind getting some new Evo sliders and maybe an ARB compressor. Other than that, everything else is high dollar like PSC steering and new axles. Those will have to wait for awhile. I've thought about selling my hard top and stock rims to help fund them, but I'm not in any rush.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I'm saving up for an ARB twin, but I've been thinking of how I want to mount it. I've never been a big fan of the underhood mount other than it makes it easy to wire up. Was actually watching some Motech videos and it's funny to hear Robbie talk about people's Jeeps when they drop them off for a V8 upgrade. He made a mention that caught my ear about one guy who had an ARB underhood. He talked about he hated that location for mounting one up and between the dirt, mud and heat it would see, it sealed the decision that would not be where mine went.

Another location is under the front passenger seat. I do like this spot, but my two concerns were again that there wasn't enough air flow under there for it to run cool and then if I ever got any water in there would that impact it? So this brings us to the trunk space.

I like this space because it's in the cab and protected from elements, but it can't be in the way. I ruled out the cubby under the rear floor for heat concerns. I looked at two solutions that mount over the rear wheel wells and ended up settling on one of those. Sharpline and Springtail both make a Molle type vertical mounting solution with a storage cubby on top. The Sharpline was a bit cheaper, but didn't appear to have enough vertical space to mount up the compressor on. The Springtail was on sale and had much more surface area. It also uses additional mounting points that gave it extra strength. For that reason, I'm going to try that on the driver side.

I found a write up where someone used that same solution and mounted the ARB 1-gal air tank in the storage cubby on top. I'm not sure if that's overkill for my needs, but it would be a great area to keep the air hose for refilling the tires. I also like the idea of having a matching Springtail setup on the passenger side where I can mount 2 rotopax cans. One for a first aid kit and maybe one for water.

finished.jpg

Springtail Solutions JKU Driver Side Rack

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly I have had mine under the hood for about 3 years now and have had only one minor issue with the heat otherwise the dust, mud, and other shit that's gets under the hood doesn't bother it.

The only issue the heat has caused is it blows one of the inline fuses once in a blue moon but it is super easy to get to and cheap to carry a spare or two. Maybe replaced it once or twice over the 3 year period

jkwebbie

I actually saw that mount a little bit ago and thought about getting it but wasn't thrilled about the extra wiring I was going to have to do, so I just stuck with the MORE under the hood mount. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it in yours and hearing a review on it though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
So I did pick up the ARB twin, looked at the wiring required to get it to the trunk and decided against it. I think I'm going to mount it under the passenger seat using the Innovative JK mount. I've always liked that setup and then I can run air chucks to both the driver and passenger side under the seats. They have a new manifold coming out soon so I can run solenoids as well off of it. I spoke to the owner about this, but he was debuting this at EJS this year and I couldn't get a set before he left. Should pick one up after he gets back. I'll see if I can write up an install and review of it since I haven't seen anyone else with it.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
So I did pick up the ARB twin, looked at the wiring required to get it to the trunk and decided against it. I think I'm going to mount it under the passenger seat using the Innovative JK mount. I've always liked that setup and then I can run air chucks to both the driver and passenger side under the seats. They have a new manifold coming out soon so I can run solenoids as well off of it. I spoke to the owner about this, but he was debuting this at EJS this year and I couldn't get a set before he left. Should pick one up after he gets back. I'll see if I can write up an install and review of it since I haven't seen anyone else with it.

I also have ARB twin, I debated about installing in the trunk but I rather save that space for camping gear. I also debated under the hood, but to cramped on there in my opinion. I did under passenger seat. Very happy about it, I did California metal masters mount.
I then did a sound upgrade and mounted an amplifier under my driver seat. I used some steel strips 1/8" I picked up at ace hardware and made my own mount.
IMG_4331.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg
IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4328.jpg
Sorry I don't have any pictures while I made it. Same concept as any other under seat mount. Little measuring, center punching and few holes drilled and you have yourself a mount.
Here's compressor mount for comparison
IMG_4327.jpg
IMG_4326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
I also have ARB twin, I debated about installing in the trunk but I rather save that space for camping gear. I also debated under the hood, but to cramped on there in my opinion. I did under passenger seat. Very happy about it, I did California metal masters mount.
I then did a sound upgrade and mounted an amplifier under my driver seat. I used some steel strips 1/8" I picked up at ace hardware and made my own mount.

Sorry I don't have any pictures while I made it. Same concept as any other under seat mount. Little measuring, center punching and few holes drilled and you have yourself a mount.
Here's compressor mount for comparison

Thanks and looks good! I had forgotten that the twin had a cooling fan on it so I'm not as nervous about the under seat mount as I was.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thanks and looks good! I had forgotten that the twin had a cooling fan on it so I'm not as nervous about the under seat mount as I was.

It does get hot, but not as hot to start a fire I hope lol. I have aftermarket carpets, the 'bedrugs' it's synthetic material. It did smell a little first few times used the compressor. All good now.
One time i went to disconnect the hose form the fitting after airing up, that thing was so hot It burned my hand a little lol. I disconnect it with a rag in my hand now or with hand in my sleeve.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Had to take advantage of the Gander Mountain closing and picked up some new camping supplies. Got some Sea to Summit cooking gear and an LED lantern. That S2S stuff is nice, but good lord it's pricey! :eek:

Waiting to replenish some Jeep funds now...

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

So the kit is on the way now. Tony had great turn around time and shipped it out same day.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The kit is now installed and tested. I'm very happy with the whole setup, although it's not nearly as easy to put in as an under-hood install. The compressor really isn't loud in the cabin which was my only fear.

I have plugs in the manifold since I don't have solenoids for lockers yet.

IMG_6708.jpg

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The kit is now installed and tested. I'm very happy with the whole setup, although it's not nearly as easy to put in as an under-hood install. The compressor really isn't loud in the cabin which was my only fear.

I have plugs in the manifold since I don't have solenoids for lockers yet.

Very cool! Will you be posting up a write-up for this?

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Dang... I never thought about running two air lines off the dual compressor. Makes me want to sell mine and upgrade lol. I wonder how the CKMA12 would hold up with two air lines? :hmm:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Very cool! Will you be posting up a write-up for this?

Thanks! I do want to do a write up, maybe I can find some time soon to get to it.

Dang... I never thought about running two air lines off the dual compressor. Makes me want to sell mine and upgrade lol. I wonder how the CKMA12 would hold up with two air lines? :hmm:

You can still do one tire at a time if you want. I believe the same bracket would work with the smaller compressor, but I'd check with Innovative first to make sure.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
You can still do one tire at a time if you want. I believe the same bracket would work with the smaller compressor, but I'd check with Innovative first to make sure.

Right, I'm just wondering how the smaller compressor would handle two air lines as opposed to one. Right now I air up one tire at a time, but it would be nice to have two tires going at once. Just something I don't know why I never thought of lol.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
That's pretty cool, I just looked them up. Did you get the 4 way system with air up/down tool. I am curious of how well it works.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Right, I'm just wondering how the smaller compressor would handle two air lines as opposed to one. Right now I air up one tire at a time, but it would be nice to have two tires going at once. Just something I don't know why I never thought of lol.

The load on the compressor wouldn't be any more than it is now, so I don't think there'd be any real difference.

That's pretty cool, I just looked them up. Did you get the 4 way system with air up/down tool. I am curious of how well it works.

I didn't get the air up/down tool with mine because I already have the ARB tool and gauge, however, that is a pretty neat add on and for the cost ($50) and I might try this at some point down the road. I wasn't able to reinstall my TPMS sensors in my beadlocks so I'll need to monitor the pressure manually when airing up. The part number I bought is the IJKP-19: 4-Tire Air System with Airlockers for JKU. Other parts required for mine were the ARB harness for sPod and 2 3/8" NPT brass plugs to seal off the solenoid manifold.

Top Bottom