My new to me EVO built rig

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3 new tires coming today. I'm pretty sure these tire have only 6000 miles on them and are badly wore on the outside. I'm thinking it's probably from to much toe. What's your guys opinion?

Toe being off would cause that kind of wear.

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 250681

I have 3 new tires coming today. I'm pretty sure these tire have only 6000 miles on them and are badly wore on the outside. I'm thinking it's probably from to much toe. What's your guys opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It's either camber or toe issue. Usually with toe, you can feel a feathering on the edge when you run your hand across it, however, it's not as noticeable on mud tires because the lugs are so far apart from each other. Post some closer up pictures of the edge wear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's either camber or toe issue. Usually with toe, you can feel a feathering on the edge when you run your hand across it, however, it's not as noticeable on mud tires because the lugs are so far apart from each other. Post some closer up pictures of the edge wear.

Yup, you should feel or even see some feathering especially if it's toe. Camber isn't as likely on a solid front axle or at least, not on the outside.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

Yes, on one side of the same lug there is a difference in height. Is that what you mean by feathering. I just left the old tires at the tire shop or I would send a picture. I don't think it would be camber because it a pro rock 60 and I don't think its been wheeled and only has 6000 miles on it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Yup, you should feel or even see some feathering especially if it's toe. Camber isn't as likely on a solid front axle or at least, not on the outside.

Ok, great Im sure that's what it is. Without me doing a search can anyone tell me how much toe I need with 40's?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, great Im sure that's what it is. Without me doing a search can anyone tell me how much toe I need with 40's?

For me, I always try to get my toe set at about 1/16" and no more than 1/8" regardless of tire size.

Ddays

Hooked
Is it normal to only get 6000 miles from a set of Trail Graps?!
Hell, those didn't even make it to one rotation! :crazyeyes:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Is it normal to only get 6000 miles from a set of Trail Graps?!
Hell, those didn't even make it to one rotation! :crazyeyes:

No that's not normal at all, that's why I was thinking there was something wrong. But seeing how this was used, I'm trying to peace together a time line from this forum which was documented on here and the current miles on it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Does it make sense that my tires are more than 1inch toed out and was wearing the outside of my tire out. And it doesn't look like I can shorten my track bar. IMG_3130.jpg IMG_3133.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you're measuring right? If you really are 1" toe out, you would totally be able to see it - no question about it.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Are you sure you're measuring right? If you really are 1" toe out, you would totally be able to see it - no question about it.

That's what I was thinking but I have check where I'm measuring from twice and I have it the garage where I can't step back and take a good look at it. I think I need to walk away for a little bit. Do you think it's possible with the tie rod as short as it would go

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I was thinking but I have check where I'm measuring from twice and I have it the garage where I can't step back and take a good look at it. I think I need to walk away for a little bit. Do you think it's possible with the tie rod as short as it would go

I'm not sure what you're doing with the tape but if you don't have someone helping you do this, get someone. Either measure from the mold seams if you have them or from the exact same edge of the lug front and back. I don't know what tie-rod you have but I find it difficult to believe that ANY out there could be set as short as it goes and you'd still be toe out. I can almost guarantee you that if you really were 1" toe out, you would see it standing right in front of your Jeep.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Yeah your right. I pulled it outside side and it looks like it's toed in. I'm trying to tape the tape measure and do it myself, not working to well. Thanks for the advice and I have evo's high steer.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah your right. I pulled it outside side and it looks like it's toed in. I'm trying to tape the tape measure and do it myself, not working to well. Thanks for the advice and I have evo's high steer.

Yeah, get yourself a second set of hands. There's NO WAY you could be tow out with your high steer tie-rod set all the way in.

WJCO

Meme King
Makes no sense. Double check that you have the wheels and rotors flat so the wheel is true. I can't think of anything else that would do something like that. Take pics of the tie rod and post as well if you can.

Just a pic here to make sure you're measuring correctly for toe.
diag_toe.gif

Top Bottom