My new to me EVO built rig

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I feel like a dumb ass, but if you look at the tape, it's upside down and it's 76 not 79. So would it make sense that it's 2 inches difference toed in. Sounds like a lot and maybe I should wait till I get some help

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I feel like a dumb ass, but if you look at the tape, it's upside down and it's 76 not 79. So would it make sense that it's 2 inches difference toed in. Sounds like a lot and maybe I should wait till I get some help

You can use a thumb tack and a string as well. Only issue is that if the string has any stretch to it, you have to make sure that you stretch it the same amount when measuring front of tires and back of tires.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
You can use a thumb tack and a string as well. Only issue is that if the string has any stretch to it, you have to make sure that you stretch it the same amount when measuring front of tires and back of tires.

Thanks for the advice, it makes more sense now I figured out how to read a tape lol. It is a struggle to do by yourself. If I am off by 2 inches, would i lengthen the tie rod about 1 inch?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the advice, it makes more sense now I figured out how to read a tape lol. It is a struggle to do by yourself. If I am off by 2 inches, would i lengthen the tie rod about 1 inch?

If you really are off by 2 inches and are toe'd in, then yes you would lengthen the tie rod about an inch to set it near zero toe.

Journeyman

Just getting caught up on this thread. I would think 2" of toe in would explain the outside tire wear, but I would think you could visually see that from the front. I would also think the jeep would be terrible to drive, probably very unstable and wanting to dart all over the place. As Eddie said get an extra set of hands it can be quite hard with these big off-road tires to get a consistent measurement front to back.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Just getting caught up on this thread. I would think 2" of toe in would explain the outside tire wear, but I would think you could visually see that from the front. I would also think the jeep would be terrible to drive, probably very unstable and wanting to dart all over the place. As Eddie said get an extra set of hands it can be quite hard with these big off-road tires to get a consistent measurement front to back.

Yes your correct, after pulling it out of the garage you can see that it's toed in. I'm not sure if you read the hole thread, but I bought this used and I'm pretty sure the tires had about 6000 miles on them. The strange thing is that it drove really well and stable on the road, maybe because the tires were burned in. I just want to make sure I get it dialed in before I drive on these new tires. Again thanks for your response.

Journeyman

Might be worth while taking into the right shop to get it aligned. Most of the time I do this myself when I'm changing ball joints or tie rod ends, etc. But every once in a while when my Jk's in the shop getting work done they throw it on the 4 wheel alignment rack and completely dial it in. Hopefully you get this figured out soon. 6k out of tires gets super expensive quick! Hopefully there's no underlying issues that are causing this and it's just the toe in that's jacked up.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I'm getting ready to check my caster. Can anyone give me some advice on where it should be on an old school pro rock 60. I'm thinking around 7 degrees but just want to make sure

jeffj

Caught the Bug
This ^^^

Being that they have locking hubs, you can technically do more but that's about where I would shoot for.

Awesome, that helps a lot. Im sure its close to that now because at speed its really stable. I just want to make sure because the toe and steering wheel are off so much.

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome, that helps a lot. Im sure its close to that now because at speed its really stable. I just want to make sure because the toe and steering wheel are off so much.

Caster will not affect the toe nor the steering wheel. If it's driving good, likely caster isn't an issue.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I see that some of you guys don't have a grease fitting in the lower ball joint on pro rock 60. I would like to put a plug or something but I can't find a anything that would be flush like on Moby. IMG_3038.jpg

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I see that some of you guys don't have a grease fitting in the lower ball joint on pro rock 60. I would like to put a plug or something but I can't find a anything that would be flush like on Moby. View attachment 254173

I have high pressure grease fittings in mine, requires a needle fitting on the grease gun to grease it. Works great. It still isn't completely flush, but I don't think it'll snap off as easily as a normal zerk fitting will.

General photo of the fitting for reference.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 6.42.45 PM.jpg

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I have high pressure grease fittings in mine, requires a needle fitting on the grease gun to grease it. Works great. It still isn't completely flush, but I don't think it'll snap off as easily as a normal zerk fitting will.

General photo of the fitting for reference.

View attachment 254174

Yeah that definitely looks better than the grease fitting hanging down. I'm going to order one now. Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom