NEW Jeep JL Wrangler Power Top?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
You know, I could get down for something like this from the factory, but from the pictures, it seems like the whole top slides backwards in tracks rather than lifts up. Not sure why Mopar wouldn't go with something like this:

Another idea would be to take the freedom panel idea with the hard tops and extend that back to make smaller panels over the rear passengers. You could still pop off just the two over the front passengers or take off all four leaving just the rear cargo area covered.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Looks complicated with a lot of moving parts. What is #26/#28? Part of a down rigger to reel it in?

pop2tu

It might work ok for someone who has a roof rack that is a PITA to remove to take top up or down. Although you will lose any storage space you had in back

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
not so sure about this, ill pass. and for anyone who does want one im sure they'll be impressed it when the motor decides to quit and it starts to rain :crazyeyes:

Ragnar JK

Wouldn't be an option I would go for, but I give it to Jeep for continuing to provide options that your mainstream buyer would consider a big advantage. If it weren't for many of these evolutionary changes (4 doors, upgraded interiors, power everything) Jeep may not be around for the rest of us to enjoy - so I say keep it up FCA!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't be an option I would go for, but I give it to Jeep for continuing to provide options that your mainstream buyer would consider a big advantage. If it weren't for many of these evolutionary changes (4 doors, upgraded interiors, power everything) Jeep may not be around for the rest of us to enjoy - so I say keep it up FCA!

Couldn't agree more. Not exactly something I'd want but I am glad to see FCA trying harder to reach a broader audience.

MtMan

I'm going to go outside and take my town down and drive in the snow. Any motorized top would freeze and cause more issues than its worth. IMHO...

Thunder

My boy tells me when he grows up, and he's making the big bucks, he'll buy me a new Jeep. I tell him thank you very much, but I'm happy with the one I have. Newer isn't always better.

Now if he really is making the big bucks and wants to put a V8 in the JK, that I could get behind. 😜

Down the road, after the JL has been out for awhile, I may change my mind. But I'm not loving what I've seen so far.

Vulpine

It looks intriguing.

On Allpar's Facebook page, there are those who've said it looks something like Fiat's retractible cloth top, to which I agree. It will definitely give you that open-air feeling but it seems like the way it piles up could affect your rearward view through the mirror, much as it does on the Fiat when the lower bracket at the hatch is left in place.

That said, it offers a convenience to those who frequently lower their top but in my own case chose to take out the quarter and rear panels and kept the canvas up as a bikini... something this doesn't appear to offer. I'd have to see this in operation to make any kind of real decision on its usability.

jsnyda

Keep in mind

Keep in mind, that persons with disabilities could really use a solution like this. I have a very close friend that does not have use of her arm and she would love a auto top on her jk.

2 cents....

tonwantonga

Power top

well it looks like most of us are in agreement - a new whiz-bang we don't really need. Heck, I'm looking for an old-style soft top with the snaps to put on the '79 CJ-7 I'm putting together. But as the Wrangler keeps getting bigger, the mall crowd won't be able to reach the top without a factory drop-down ladder, so maybe a power top is the answer for some of them.

Vulpine

You know, I could get down for something like this from the factory, but from the pictures, it seems like the whole top slides backwards in tracks rather than lifts up. Not sure why Mopar wouldn't go with something like this:

Another idea would be to take the freedom panel idea with the hard tops and extend that back to make smaller panels over the rear passengers. You could still pop off just the two over the front passengers or take off all four leaving just the rear cargo area covered.

The advantage of the roll-back type of top is simplicity and lower cost. Among other things, you can roll the top back only as far as you want, while driving, which is a major convenience to some people. The motor needed for the type of top in the video would need to be much larger plus the bracing would be more easily damaged if someone accidentally tried to retract the top while rolling. The cost both to manufacture and to replace/repair would hurt the one advantage Jeeps current soft tops carries--low cost replacement.

Top Bottom