NEW Jeep JL Wrangler Power Top?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You know, I could get down for something like this from the factory, but from the pictures, it seems like the whole top slides backwards in tracks rather than lifts up. Not sure why Mopar wouldn't go with something like this:

Another idea would be to take the freedom panel idea with the hard tops and extend that back to make smaller panels over the rear passengers. You could still pop off just the two over the front passengers or take off all four leaving just the rear cargo area covered.

If everything we've been seeing and hearing are true about the all new JL Wrangler, it'll no longer be a true open top vehicle. It'll come with panels that can be removed or in this case, a power top that can be lowered.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If everything we've been seeing and hearing are true about the all new JL Wrangler, it'll no longer be a true open top vehicle. It'll come with panels that can be removed or in this case, a power top that can be lowered.

Probably, but I'm sure it will still be very capable off road. I wonder how long it will be, before it's turned into just another highway SUV, though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rubicon310

Hmmmmm. I think the idea is pretty cool. Do I like it? Like most have replied, I'll pass, although the concept is cool.

My concern is that my rubicon leaks right above my stereo with heavy rain with the hard top. If this hasn't been perfected yet, how will they seal the automatic top 100% and prevent rain from getting in?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Hmmmmm. I think the idea is pretty cool. Do I like it? Like most have replied, I'll pass, although the concept is cool.

My concern is that my rubicon leaks right above my stereo with heavy rain with the hard top. If this hasn't been perfected yet, how will they seal the automatic top 100% and prevent rain from getting in?

I've had more leaks on Freedom tops, than I've had on soft tops on JKs.

JAGS

Hooked
I'll withhold judgement until the final product is actually released/displayed. So many patent filings never actually make it to production. Just hearing the "concepts" of modular roof, integrated roll cage, power soft top aren't all that bad for the general population. I think the wrangler would generally sell more units. People love the wrangler and these are good concepts being thrown around. Hopefully Jeep keeps in mind the offroad enthusiast as much as the weekend beach goer.

Mun50n3d

smart-convertible.jpg

This is what i think of when i see those GIF diagrams. That's a whole lot of NOPE right there. :grayno: :nuts:

Vulpine

"Leave well enough alone" in my opinion I'd rather remove the top myself. Plus won't this contraption add unnecessary weight up on the top of the Jeep?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not as much as you might think. The frame for this would replace the current soft-top roof rails to add nothing but a track for the top to ride along. Complexity would be minimized, compared to the articulated conventional soft top and I am pretty sure there would be a manual release in the event the motor failed, similar to the Fiat 500's version. Many of the complaints I've read so far show no understanding of how Fiat has made this work for other vehicles.

I do agree that it seems the potential for leaks would be higher but I never read about leak problems on Fiat's other soft-top models, so they must have figured out how to direct rainwater away from the track.

Vulpine

This is what i think of when i see those GIF diagrams. That's a whole lot of NOPE right there. :grayno: :nuts:

What's wrong with it? Unless you already have half-doors for your JK, it would look the same with this top or the conventional style.

Beav068

I would much rather see a frame with removable panels for the top and side windows so you could run the hard top with no windows, or just no back window, whatever configuration you want

Sent from my Nexus 6P using WAYALIFE mobile app

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Keeping my JK!! That "thing" is a Fiat thing (as in Fix It Again Tony) and breaks down very often......come take a tour of the FCA dealerships in Europe and you'll run away real quick!!!!

However that drawing might give an insight to what the JL freedom style tops might be like......I hate!!!

Hangemhigh1

Not as much as you might think. The frame for this would replace the current soft-top roof rails to add nothing but a track for the top to ride along. Complexity would be minimized, compared to the articulated conventional soft top and I am pretty sure there would be a manual release in the event the motor failed, similar to the Fiat 500's version. Many of the complaints I've read so far show no understanding of how Fiat has made this work for other vehicles.

I do agree that it seems the potential for leaks would be higher but I never read about leak problems on Fiat's other soft-top models, so they must have figured out how to direct rainwater away from the track.

I see your point. Don't have any direct experience with the Fiat tops. But, there hasn't been any major news about leaky roofs. Thanks for your insight.

longarmwj

Just saw that Dave Zatz published the following 3 illustrations on AllPar today and as you can see, they are for an FCA patent application regarding some kind of power top. According to the article, the "top overcomes the challenges of the Wrangler shape and unique needs — including being able to operate even when there is an obstacle in the cargo bay." NOt 100% sure if this is what we will be seeing on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler or if it'll be an option but, what do you think of it?

View attachment 239380

View attachment 239378

View attachment 239379

Article published here:
http://www.allpar.com/news/2017/01/is-this-the-wrangler-power-top-36201

Looking at the "internal" structure there, it looks a lot like the current JK. It makes me wonder if all of those pieces around it will be removable or not for a true open top deal or not. Guess we will have to wait and see.

ljvsnyder

Guess if I buy a new wrangler it better be a leftover JK, that looks horrible. How much to upgrade my current JK to a diesel?

Top Bottom