NEW Shoes for MOBY : 40x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

JKJody

Any word on a 38/13.50/17 for these? I think I want a 38 on my next jeep. But there's really no tire on the market i like in that size. These coopers would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does Moby have a stretched wheelbase, in a couple pictures it looks like the front axle is moved forward some?

Nope. Moby is just running a standard setup.

I believe the 40x13.5 stt pro measures 38 7/16 if i remember correctly

And, that is big for an advertised 40" tire. Most of the 40's I've run or have measured in the past come up shorter than that. Again, the ADVERTISED size on the sidewall is what matters, NOT the "actual" tire size.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Nope. Moby is just running a standard setup.

And, that is big for an advertised 40" tire. Most of the 40's I've run or have measured in the past come up shorter than that. Again, the ADVERTISED size on the sidewall is what matters, NOT the "actual" tire size.

So a 40 inch tire is not much bigger than a 37 but a lot more expensive?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So a 40 inch tire is not much bigger than a 37 but a lot more expensive?

Have you not seen the True Tire Size Database?

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database

ALL tires measure LESS than what is advertised on the sidewall. An advertised 37 typically has a true size that's closer to 35". When talking about things like what tire will fit with a lift, we are talking about what is written on the sidewall and NOT its actual size.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Last week, Cindy and I took some time off to do some exploring in one of most remote regions of Northern Nevada. Along the way, we found ourselves on an old stage route that crossed over a mountain range and one that hadn't been used by anything in years. Because of it, the trail was thick with overgrown trees and brush and while navigating it wasn't really difficult per se, it was slow going for sure. Close to the top, the trail did open up on one side but only because it became a rutted out, narrow and off camber shelf road. Of course, the trees on the safe side were still just as overgrown and that made it difficult to not to push your way into them, on purpose and in an effort to stay on the trail. Needless to say, it was impossible to see low hanging and thick branches hidden by the foliage and just waiting to lance a sidewall. And, as luck would have it, that's exactly what happened to one of our brand new 40" Cooper STT Pros.

20161114185120-ce44a154.jpg

20161114185123-3931177a.jpg

I should note that before the tire failed, I could feel a considerable amount of resistance from the tree when I was trying to push my through it and had I just stopped, gotten out and given things a look, this failure could have been prevented. Granted, the only way to get around the branch would have been to cut it off and that's ultimately what we still had to do but had we taken the time to do that before hand, we would have saved our tire. Because most of the trail was relatively smooth and easy, we didn't bother to air down like we should have and I'm sure that played a role in the dramatic way the sidewall failed. Of course, being that the 40" STT Pros are just a Load Range C, I'm sure that didn't help anything either but really, I don't think any tire out there would have survived an assault like this. Certainly, we have personally seen failures just like this happen on a host of other tires we've run in the past including our last set of Nitto Trail Grapplers and while it was disappointing to see, there's still way more that we love about these tires than not. And, unless sidewall damage becomes an ongoing problem for us, these new Cooper STT Pros will still be a tire that we would recommend.

Anyway, just trying to keep it real and keep you all in the know as to what we're seeing and experiencing.

JAGS

Hooked
So did you just use your ARB plug kit. [emoji33] LOL. Man that is a nice gash.

Glad you run a spare.

Top Bottom