NEW Shoes for MOBY : 40x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

Draconianwinter

Last week, Cindy and I took some time off to do some exploring in one of most remote regions of Northern Nevada. Along the way, we found ourselves on an old stage route that crossed over a mountain range and one that hadn't been used by anything in years. Because of it, the trail was thick with overgrown trees and brush and while navigating it wasn't really difficult per se, it was slow going for sure. Close to the top, the trail did open up on one side but only because it became a rutted out, narrow and off camber shelf road. Of course, the trees on the safe side were still just as overgrown and that made it difficult to not to push your way into them, on purpose and in an effort to stay on the trail. Needless to say, it was impossible to see low hanging and thick branches hidden by the foliage and just waiting to lance a sidewall. And, as luck would have it, that's exactly what happened to one of our brand new 40" Cooper STT Pros.

20161114185120-ce44a154.jpg

20161114185123-3931177a.jpg

I should note that before the tire failed, I could feel a considerable amount of resistance from the tree when I was trying to push my through it and had I just stopped, gotten out and given things a look, this failure could have been prevented. Granted, the only way to get around the branch would have been to cut it off and that's ultimately what we still had to do but had we taken the time to do that before hand, we would have saved our tire. Because most of the trail was relatively smooth and easy, we didn't bother to air down like we should have and I'm sure that played a role in the dramatic way the sidewall failed. Of course, being that the 40" STT Pros are just a Load Range C, I'm sure that didn't help anything either but really, I don't think any tire out there would have survived an assault like this. Certainly, we have personally seen failures just like this happen on a host of other tires we've run in the past including our last set of Nitto Trail Grapplers and while it was disappointing to see, there's still way more that we love about these tires than not. And, unless sidewall damage becomes an ongoing problem for us, these new Cooper STT Pros will still be a tire that we would recommend.

Anyway, just trying to keep it real and keep you all in the know as to what we're seeing and experiencing.
Mother nature 1 and man made 0 lol. Sucks that happened to be sure but as we all know, or should by now, no matter how well something is built nature can always destroy it. All part of the fun though lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

bthomas

Wow! That's a helluva gash! I'd imagine trail changing a 40" isn't much fun. It's a shame there's so much good tread still left... Hopefully the replacement comes quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that blows. Hope new one doesn't take to long to come in.

LOL!! No pun intended :crazyeyes:

So did you just use your ARB plug kit. [emoji33] LOL. Man that is a nice gash.

Glad you run a spare.

:cheesy: Now that's funny and yes, we always carry a spare for a reason. :yup:

Mother nature 1 and man made 0 lol. Sucks that happened to be sure but as we all know, or should by now, no matter how well something is built nature can always destroy it. All part of the fun though lol

Oh yeah, all part of the fun and in spite of the tire failure, we had a great time :cool:

Wow! That's a helluva gash! I'd imagine trail changing a 40" isn't much fun. It's a shame there's so much good tread still left... Hopefully the replacement comes quickly.

Ya know, changing out a 40" tire is hard enough. Doing it on a narrow shelf road made it that much harder. In fact, where it blew was such a bad spot, I had to drive on the flat for about 100 feet just to get up on a patch of trail that was a bit flatter and wider.

Draconianwinter

LOL!! No pun intended :crazyeyes:

:cheesy: Now that's funny and yes, we always carry a spare for a reason. :yup:

Oh yeah, all part of the fun and in spite of the tire failure, we had a great time :cool:

Ya know, changing out a 40" tire is hard enough. Doing it on a narrow shelf road made it that much harder. In fact, where it blew was such a bad spot, I had to drive on the flat for about 100 feet just to get up on a patch of trail that was a bit flatter and wider.
Yeah have had plenty of tire failures on trails. Definitely sucked in a few case but, despite those issues at the end of the day it was still better than being at work or sitting around the house

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

SPOOOBY

Last week, Cindy and I took some time off to do some exploring in one of most remote regions of Northern Nevada. Along the way, we found ourselves on an old stage route that crossed over a mountain range and one that hadn't been used by anything in years. Because of it, the trail was thick with overgrown trees and brush and while navigating it wasn't really difficult per se, it was slow going for sure. Close to the top, the trail did open up on one side but only because it became a rutted out, narrow and off camber shelf road. Of course, the trees on the safe side were still just as overgrown and that made it difficult to not to push your way into them, on purpose and in an effort to stay on the trail. Needless to say, it was impossible to see low hanging and thick branches hidden by the foliage and just waiting to lance a sidewall. And, as luck would have it, that's exactly what happened to one of our brand new 40" Cooper STT Pros.

20161114185120-ce44a154.jpg

20161114185123-3931177a.jpg

I should note that before the tire failed, I could feel a considerable amount of resistance from the tree when I was trying to push my through it and had I just stopped, gotten out and given things a look, this failure could have been prevented. Granted, the only way to get around the branch would have been to cut it off and that's ultimately what we still had to do but had we taken the time to do that before hand, we would have saved our tire. Because most of the trail was relatively smooth and easy, we didn't bother to air down like we should have and I'm sure that played a role in the dramatic way the sidewall failed. Of course, being that the 40" STT Pros are just a Load Range C, I'm sure that didn't help anything either but really, I don't think any tire out there would have survived an assault like this. Certainly, we have personally seen failures just like this happen on a host of other tires we've run in the past including our last set of Nitto Trail Grapplers and while it was disappointing to see, there's still way more that we love about these tires than not. And, unless sidewall damage becomes an ongoing problem for us, these new Cooper STT Pros will still be a tire that we would recommend.

Anyway, just trying to keep it real and keep you all in the know as to what we're seeing and experiencing.
Just sew up the side wall and use a monster patch

If you're not living your dead already!

ScoobyCarolanNC

Can you post a couple of pics of what the sidewall looks like now that there's a cross section? Just so we we can see how thick it is?

Sent from my duck blind.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Man that sucks! Thank god for spare tires. Did you guys happen to air down after this just to make sure something freaky like this didn't happen againnfor the rest of the day

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a couple of pics of what the sidewall looks like now that there's a cross section? Just so we we can see how thick it is?

Sent from my duck blind.

When I get a chance, I'll do that.

I wonder if the e rated 37's would have done this [emoji848] hard to say I guess. Bummers though on a brand new tire!

Hard to say for sure but based on what I was seeing, yeah, I think it would have done the same thing or at the very least, the branch would have at least pierced the sidewall.

Man that sucks! Thank god for spare tires. Did you guys happen to air down after this just to make sure something freaky like this didn't happen againnfor the rest of the day

Nah, we just finished up the trail being a lot more careful :crazyeyes:

Speaking of deep gash...

Ouch!
View attachment 231084

:cheesy: Speaking of which, thank you again for your help. Sure would have sucked to deal with a 40" tire by myself :shock:

Top Bottom