NEW Shoes for RUBICAT : 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Another great set of shots! The new tires look fantastic. Any initial impressions that are different from the smaller set on Renny?

JayKay

Caught the Bug
Okay, we finally got our 5th tire installed and mounted on Rubicat yesterday and just as the sun was going down, we decided to drive to the end of the street and test them out on the rocks. Here are a few shots for you to enjoy :cool:

main.php

That Cooper Tires sticker looks a lot better on Rubicat's door than the latter for sure ;):yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks Great!....Looks like they work great as well!

So far so good. Of course, we've been testing a smaller set on our Renegade for a while now and liked them enough to want to test them out on Rubicat. :yup:

Great shots!! All I have at the end of my street is a golf course, I would much rather this.

LOL!! It is the reason why we live where we live :yup:

Another great set of shots! The new tires look fantastic. Any initial impressions that are different from the smaller set on Renny?

Yeah, the thing we've noticed the most is that they are way quieter on Rubicat than they are on Renny. Granted, I have to think this is because Renny is a unibody and Rubicat is still a tub on frame setup. Other than that, we're just as happy with these bigger tires as we've been with the smaller ones. Looking forward to doing a lot more testing :yup:

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
WOW Eddie I really love those pics of Rubicat and those STT Pros are icing on the cake bud they are definitely gonna be my next set for D-day when the stocks wear out

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks Eddie for helping me swing my decision on tires. Nothing wrong with Trail Graps, but so far I'm loving these tires. Not gonna photo bomb your thread, but these are great looking tires and I love mine.
Glad I got the 13.50's too - they really fill out the wheel well.

CCTX50

Okay, we finally got our 5th tire installed and mounted on Rubicat yesterday and just as the sun was going down, we decided to drive to the end of the street and test them out on the rocks. Here are a few shots for you to enjoy :cool:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Awesome shots Eddie! I have was looking to see if they make them in 35 12.5 x 17. Does not look like it.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Really interested in how this tire works out for mileage, noise, and most importantly, gription. I really like my Trail Graps on the JK but am always open to new things. My Comanche will need new shoes soon and Cooper makes the Discoverer STT in the 31x10.5x15 size on it now as well as the slightly smaller 30x9.5x15. Pretty reasonably priced to through Discount Tire.:yup:

2013CGJKU

Got em mounted today. I know one thing for sure. They sure are quieter and more comfy than the horrendous ProComp 35s I had on there before.

1458010617501.jpg

bonedaddy

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

The fact that this is at the "end of the street" is freakin awesome! So jealous... Great shots per usual ...

mastrcruse

Hey Eddie, after wheeling Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo MT, and the STT's.

Whats your overall thoughts comparing the 3 tires? I'm looking into new tires and these are my top 3 choices. Im leaning toward the Toyo since I have a few friends that run them and have done pretty well but definitely interested in your thoughts since you've run them all. Trail Grapplers are probably 3rd place because I had a bad experience with them in the past that I'm having a hard time getting over haha.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who've been asking about our Cooper STT Pros and how they've been performing, here's an updated review that I can give you. So far, we've racked up over 2,500 miles on them and they seem to be wearing exceptionally well. I should note that even for a load range E tire, they seem to be quite comfortable even when running as much as 30 psi. I should also note that these tires have a very flat footprint even at 30 psi and I believe it's due to the score along the edge of the shoulder. With the weight of the Jeep on the tire, this score helps the tread to sit more squarely on the ground. On the highway, the STT Pros are still proving to be pretty quite for a mud terrain tire and unlike the Nitto Trail Grapplers that we were running before, they have NO radial pull or that I can detect so far.

As far as how the STT Pros do off road, so far Cindy and I have found them to perform exceptionally well especially out in Moab. The all new "silica tread compound" they use really hook up well on the rocks and the new tread pattern really does a great job of grabbing onto anything it can dig into and go. We have also found that the large and aggressive "side-biter" shoulder lugs do an amazing job of providing traction especially when little can be found under the tire. When aired down low enough, they flatten out nicely on certain terrain and by virtue of it, they can increase your footprint by essentially become extensions of the tread. As far as airing down goes, I have to say that unlike our old 37" Toyo's which you'd have to take down to about 8 psi to get them to look and feel aired down, simply dropping the STT Pros to about 15 psi will give them the same look and feel and this in spite of them being load range E. Again, I believe this is due to the score that's designed into the edge of the shoulder. As far as sidewall strength goes, we pushed them hard on Behind the Rocks, Hells Revenge, Gold Bar Rim, Golden Spike, Cliffhanger and Top of the World and drove them around town at about 12 psi for an entire week and never once had a problem.

Without question, it's too soon to say how these tires will do in the long run but so far, I'd have to say that Cindy and I are extremely impressed with our new Cooper STT Pros. Granted, we knew we liked them after buying a set for our Renegade but after testing them out in a place like Moab, we're super glad we got them for Rubicat too. If they ever come out with these tires in a 40" size, we'll be sure to get them for Moby too!

I hope this review helps you out and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. :cool:

Top Bottom