NEW Shoes for RUBICAT : 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro M/T Tires

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Great review Eddie! I ordered a set of 315/70/17 last week and got them mounted today. Love their aggressive look and yes they are quiet on the pavement. Cooper hit a home run with these new stt pros. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458748702.389994.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
Eddie and Cindy,

Given your experience now with several tires and having previously put Toyos and Nittos at the top, would you include these coopers in that upper category as well? I know you haven't put a ton road miles yet, but what's your thoughts on these for a daily driver? Early signs of how these tires might last term, being how I'm not familiar with the various tire compounds.

I'll be needing some new tires soon and the costs savings has me intrigued on these coopers.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Eddie and Cindy,

Given your experience now with several tires and having previously put Toyos and Nittos at the top, would you include these coopers in that upper category as well? I know you haven't put a ton road miles yet, but what's your thoughts on these for a daily driver? Early signs of how these tires might last term, being how I'm not familiar with the various tire compounds.

I'll be needing some new tires soon and the costs savings has me intrigued on these coopers.

Glad you asked this Jags, as I am interested in the daily driver aspect of these as well. Im not due for tires yet, but my nittos look like they are starting to dry rot or something weird.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie and Cindy,

What I can tell you is this, Cindy and I really liked the 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers but after extensive use, weren't as thrilled with them in a 37" size. They just weren't the same tire, seemed to have weaker sidewalls, didn't seem to hook up as well as the 40's and neither of us liked the hard radial pull to the driver side that all Trail Grapplers have. In fact, that is part of why we started running the 40" Mud Grapplers again. Having compared the two, I would have to put the Coopers STT Pros ahead of the Trail Grapplers and so far, in the same league as the Toyo MT's. On the rocks, I'd even go so far as to say that the STT Pros hook up better than both the Trail Grappler and the Nittos. On pavement, you can hear the STT Pros a bit more than both. Again, it's too soon for me to say for sure how they will do in the long run in terms of tread life but so far, after 2,500 miles, they look to be wearing well. As far as sidewall strength goes, time will tell with this as well.

JAGS

Hooked
Glad you asked this Jags, as I am interested in the daily driver aspect of these as well. Im not due for tires yet, but my nittos look like they are starting to dry rot or something weird.

Between the tread? Mine are doing something weird as well. Like hairline veining/fracturing or something. I'm due for a rotation and actually going to show America's Tires. Not sure if just a visual thing or something else.

JAGS

Hooked
What I can tell you is this, Cindy and I really liked the 40" Nitto Trail Grapplers but after extensive use, weren't as thrilled with them in a 37" size. They just weren't the same tire, seemed to have weaker sidewalls, didn't seem to hook up as well as the 40's and neither of us liked the hard radial pull to the driver side that all Trail Grapplers have. In fact, that is part of why we started running the 40" Mud Grapplers again. Having compared the two, I would have to put the Coopers STT Pros ahead of the Trail Grapplers and so far, in the same league as the Toyo MT's. On the rocks, I'd even go so far as to say that the STT Pros hook up better than both the Trail Grappler and the Nittos. On pavement, you can hear the STT Pros a bit more than both. Again, it's too soon for me to say for sure how they will do in the long run in terms of tread life but so far, after 2,500 miles, they look to be wearing well. As far as sidewall strength goes, time will tell with this as well.

Thanks Eddie. Do you know if the SST Pro compound is different than the older SSTs? I was doing some searching and SST had some issues with chunking. But this was several years ago. You mentioned a particular compound and wasn't sure if this was new or same as years past.

It's interesting that I can get 5 new SST pros for the price of 4 nittos. My nittos still have a fair amount of tread, and a brand new spare, but I just put a ton of miles on them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. Do you know if the SST Pro compound is different than the older SSTs? I was doing some searching and SST had some issues with chunking. But this was several years ago. You mentioned a particular compound and wasn't sure if this was new or same as years past.

It's interesting that I can get 5 new SST pros for the price of 4 nittos. My nittos still have a fair amount of tread, and a brand new spare, but I just put a ton of miles on them.

I've run the old STT's and they did have issues with chunking. The new STT Pros use what Cooper calls a "silica tread compound" (I have no idea what that really means) and so far, they seem to be holding up well.

Don't get me wrong, the Nitto Trail Grapplers are good tires and are still something I would consider running but when compared to the new Discoverer STT Pros, I'd have to say that the latter are better and for the reasons I have listed above.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Between the tread? Mine are doing something weird as well. Like hairline veining/fracturing or something. I'm due for a rotation and actually going to show America's Tires. Not sure if just a visual thing or something else.

This is what mine look like, all 4 on the ground. My spare has a little but nothing close and it hasn't been rotated in for a long time.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458757168.544338.jpg

JAGS

Hooked
This is what mine look like, all 4 on the ground. My spare has a little but nothing close and it hasn't been rotated in for a long time.

View attachment 194366

Yup, same here. To a T. Not sure if that is "normal". I purchased mine in May 2014. Have 35k on them. When you get yours?

My jeep is in the parking garage at work so can't get a good pic. But will maybe post one later.

WJCO

Meme King

View attachment 194366

What's the date code on those tires? Looks like dry rot. If old tires or sitting in the sun A LOT, I'd say dry rot, if newer (like 3 years old or less), that looks like a defect to me.

WJCO

Meme King
Rather than when you guys bought them, look at the last 4 digits on the DOT code. That will tell you when the tire was made.

JAGS

Hooked
Rather than when you guys bought them, look at the last 4 digits on the DOT code. That will tell you when the tire was made.

I'm about 10 floors and two elevators from my jeep. I'll look later. [emoji6][emoji106]

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
How well did they mount up to the ATX bead locks? My Nittos had a nice little recessed groove that the ring on my slabs fit nicely into.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How well did they mount up to the ATX bead locks? My Nittos had a nice little recessed groove that the ring on my slabs fit nicely into.

Okay, compared to Trail Grapplers, the Cooper STT Pros were a bitch to install on our Chamber Pro II's. The bead was just so much thicker and I needed Cindy to help me get the bead seated on the mounting lip. Installing the ring took more effort too and after getting all the bolts tightened to torque spec, there was still a gap between the ring and the wheel. After putting on about a hundred miles, I went back and checked all the bolts and was able to tighten them down more. Everything is now seated more to what I would expect to see and they held up perfect in Moab.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Okay, compared to Trail Grapplers, the Cooper STT Pros were a bitch to install on our Chamber Pro II's. The bead was just so much thicker and I needed Cindy to help me get the bead seated on the mounting lip. Installing the ring took more effort too and after getting all the bolts tightened to torque spec, there was still a gap between the ring and the wheel. After putting on about a hundred miles, I went back and checked all the bolts and was able to tighten them down more. Everything is now seated more to what I would expect to see and they held up perfect in Moab.

I was wondering about the install! My Nittos were an easy install also.
Thanks Eddie.

Ddays

Hooked

I would second this ^^ but have to note that I have never installed beadlocks before this. I questioned my inability to get these same wheels started as easily as Mel does in his "How to mount Slab video". I even PM'd Eddie several times asking him what I was doing wrong. I was able to get mine seated the whole way but I sprayed the shit out of the wheels and tire beads with a Murphys Oil soap solution. After the first one the rest went on OK but I knew what to expect from then on. One thing I noted was that these do not have a recessed bead protector built into the tire that the rings fit into like the Nittos do...

mastrcruse

Thanks Eddie for the comparisons and comments.

Sounds like so far (with "limited" mileage on the STT's) you'd put the Toyos and STT's above the Nittos and the Toyos seem to still be at the top. Look forward to continuing to follow your thoughts on the STT's as you continue to put miles and trips on them. Thanks again.

Top Bottom