Northridge Sucks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I take 4 jeep mags. a month . they all talk about bent axle tubes on the d44 front axle , and have seen then many times . OK , you say , It's only a magazine .My front d44 on my rubi is now bent and I run 35 " tires . I wish someone like Northridge would have talked me into sleeving my axles , It would have been alot cheaper then axle housing replacement . So , now , I am left with the dilemma of buying a stock housing gusset and sleeve it then doing the swap and swapping over my internals , or doing a Dynatrac and swapping everything over .Either way , it will be expensive .Your friend will not be happy with you when he bends his axle . It sound to me like you are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about and that Northridge was right on the money . You owe Northridge an apology.

Lol where is the popcorn?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I take 4 jeep mags. a month . they all talk about bent axle tubes on the d44 front axle , and have seen then many times . OK , you say , It's only a magazine .My front d44 on my rubi is now bent and I run 35 " tires . I wish someone like Northridge would have talked me into sleeving my axles , It would have been alot cheaper then axle housing replacement . So , now , I am left with the dilemma of buying a stock housing gusset and sleeve it then doing the swap and swapping over my internals , or doing a Dynatrac and swapping everything over .Either way , it will be expensive .Your friend will not be happy with you when he bends his axle . It sound to me like you are the one who doesn't know what you are talking about and that Northridge was right on the money . You owe Northridge an apology.

Do any of your 4 magazines talk all the bent axle tubes on d44's front axles that HAVE been sleeved and gusseted?? Don't kid yourself, I've been doing this a long time and can tell you it happens all the time. I'm not here to take sides regarding Northridge and how they do business but, I do feel a need to set the record straight regarding sleeves and I hate to say it but, you are wrong in this matter.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Lol. No popcorn necessary. Clearly he is right as made abundantly obvious by the number of people either (A) who have sleeved their 44's; or, (B) driving around with bent tubes. Sorry dahreno, but I'm just not seeing it. Can it happen? Or course. Does it happen with enough frequency to call sleeving necessary (or, better yet, the choice not to sleeve crazy)? No way!

MTG

Caught the Bug

But you didn't post of picture of your old jeep. Almost didn't know this was you. :crazyeyes:

Moochie

Do any of your 4 magazines talk all the bent axle tubes on d44's front axles that HAVE been sleeved and gusseted?? Don't kid yourself, I've been doing this a long time and can tell you it happens all the time. I'm not here to take sides regarding Northridge and how they do business but, I do feel a need to set the record straight regarding sleeves and I hate to say it but, you are wrong in this matter.

I have sleeves and gussets. My tubes are bending where they are attached to the differential housing. It's time to upgrade to a Pro Rock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have sleeves and gussets. My tubes are bending where they are attached to the differential housing. It's time to upgrade to a Pro Rock.

Trust me, you're not the only one. Anyone who wheels their Jeep hard and is honest with themselves will tell you that that their sleeved and gusseted front axles are bent too. Same goes for trussed front axles - I have seen a ton of them bent too.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Even better! NR4x4 is telling people they are crazy for not buying and installing something that apparently won't even fix the intended problem. I will certainly concede that both WOL and Moochie have seen far more Jeeps than I have. So, if they say they have seen a lot of bends I believe them. The point of my post wasn't to debate the validity of installing sleeves, it was to point out that NR4x4 tried to force something on my buddy that he neither asked for nor needed, and then called him crazy for not following their advice.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even better! NR4x4 is telling people they are crazy for not buying and installing something that apparently won't even fix the intended problem. I will certainly concede that both WOL and Moochie have seen far more Jeeps than I have. So, if they say they have seen a lot of bends I believe them.

In all fairness, the original point for sleeving an axle was to help prevent a housing "break". Back in the early days of the JK, there were a few of these and I've even had the privilege of personally seeing it happen more than once. Having said that, there are over 1 million JK's on the road today and I've only seen and/or heard of about a dozen breaks - far from an epidemic warranting a "need" for sleeves. If you're concerned about bending, nothing short of a ProRock 44 or 60 will help prevent it. Of course, you don't have to take my word for it.

dahreno

Banned
I think sleeving the tubes will HELP them from bending at the sleeved portion . they will not help from bending at the non sleeved portion where the tubes go into the housing .How the sleeves will stop the housing from cracking I don't understand , and don't believe . I think if you wheel hard enough , anything can break or bend . I can't believe Eddy is saying he thinks sleeving won't help at all .Doubling the thickness of the tubes has to help some . I'm sure he has seen sleeved tubes bend but , I bet they would have bent more or sooner without them .The reason you don't see my old Jeep is because I am not talking about the willys , I'm talking about my Rubi .Sorry if I've posted to many pics. of the Willys as I thought some might enjoy seeing an old jeep maybe they haven't seen. I am also proud to own it . But don't worry , I will never post a pic. of it here again !By the way , I do wonder if the word crazy was even used in the conversation or was it a way to express the feeling he got when he told the story the the PO . OK , bring it on , who is going to burn me this time ?

Top Bottom