Northridge Sucks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think sleeving the tubes will HELP them from bending at the sleeved portion . they will not help from bending at the non sleeved portion where the tubes go into the housing .

And you should keep on "thinking" that as if it even matters where it ultimately bends. I have little doubt that your thoughts are far more valid than anything I may have seen.

How the sleeves will stop the housing from cracking I don't understand , and don't believe .

Clearly. How can you believe what you do not understand?

I think if you wheel hard enough , anything can break or bend . I can't believe Eddy is saying he thinks sleeving won't help at all .Doubling the thickness of the tubes has to help some .

For what it's worth, I know exactly how much additional strength sleeves provide, do you?

I'm sure he has seen sleeved tubes bend but , I bet they would have bent more or sooner without them .

You can bet that if you want.

Sorry if I've posted to many pics. of the Willys as I thought some might enjoy seeing an old jeep maybe they haven't seen. I am also proud to own it . But don't worry , I will never post a pic. of it here again !By the way , I do wonder if the word crazy was even used in the conversation or was it a way to express the feeling he got when he told the story the the PO . OK , bring it on , who is going to burn me this time ?

Now that you mention it, the word "crazy" does seem to have a place in this conversation. :idontknow:

dahreno

Banned
I guess Eddy is the expert here . Honestly , you do seem like a nice guy , willing to help people , do alot of wheeling and make great videos . Every one has a different idea how to build things and how they should work . This is the reason that most Jeeps are different after all . I really do wish you would explain how a sleeved axle tube would stop a housing from breaking .Maybe I have something to learn .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess Eddy is the expert here .

Please, I would never claim or would even suggest that I know anything. The only thing I can hope to do is share what I have seen. You can take it or leave it.

Honestly , you do seem like a nice guy , willing to help people , do alot of wheeling and make great videos .

Actually, my wife Cindy makes the videos. I do like helping out where I can and people can think of me whatever they want. Makes no difference to me.

Every one has a different idea how to build things and how they should work . This is the reason that most Jeeps are different after all .

Actually, most Jeeps are a lot more alike than you would think. The people who build them have just been sold on parts made by different manufacturers. Clearly, some are better and some are worse but, most of that is subjective to the person who spent all their money building up their Jeep. Having said that, so long as there is a demand, there will be someone to supply it and nothing sells better than FUD - fear, uncertainty and doubt. This is the reason why there is so much hype about things like sleeves, steering stabilizers and replacement bolts.

I really do wish you would explain how a sleeved axle tube would stop a housing from breaking .Maybe I have something to learn .

Have you ever seen an axle tube break? If not, here's what it looks like...

main.php

main.php

Think about it for a bit.

So you know, of the 4 JK's I've owned, I only sleeved 1 and more because it was something new at the time and I wanted to see if it would make a difference - it didn't. Or, not so far as bending is concerned. My newest 2012 JK isn't sleeved and I have no intensions of doing so. Is my front axle bent? You bet - but not anymore so than anyone else INCLUDING those with sleeved axles.

dahreno

Banned
You had mentioned that sleeves were installed to prevent housings from cracking . I believe the housing is the part that houses the ring and pinion .I didn't think you were talking about axle tubes .By the way , yes I have seen broken axle tubes . I have been wheeling for awhile also . I don't know if you would consider it wheeling but , one of my first wheeling trips was in 1974 when me and a buddy drove a 70 something fj 40 from Reno to Alaska. I have wheeled a little before that but , that was the trip that turned me onto 4 wheeling for the rest of my life .The Alcan highway was all dirt back then , all 1700 miles of it !What a great time !

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Is my front axle bent? You bet - but not anymore so than anyone else INCLUDING those with sleeved axles.

Wait, what?! Rubicat has a bent front axle? Oh the humanity! And she is so young! Damn it...damn it all to hell!!!!

:cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You had mentioned that sleeves were installed to prevent housings from cracking . I believe the housing is the part that houses the ring and pinion .I didn't think you were talking about axle tubes .

No, I said that sleeves were originally installed to help prevent an axle housing from "breaking", not cracking. The part that holds the ring and pinion is the differential and it, along with the tubes down to the end forgings make up the "axle housing". This is not to be confused with the "axle shafts" - the things inside of the housing that turn your wheels.

I have been wheeling for awhile also . I don't know if you would consider it wheeling but , one of my first wheeling trips was in 1974 when me and a buddy drove a 70 something fj 40 from Reno to Alaska. I have wheeled a little before that but , that was the trip that turned me onto 4 wheeling for the rest of my life .The Alcan highway was all dirt back then , all 1700 miles of it !What a great time !

Well, you've been doing this a lot longer than me and all I can say is that every make/model/year vehicle has it's own set of problems and things to work out. The JK is nothing like my old TJ or CJ or XJ. Driving up to Alaska is a dream of mine and I do envy you for having done it.

Wait, what?! Rubicat has a bent front axle? Oh the humanity! And she is so young! Damn it...damn it all to hell!!!!

:cheesy:

:cheesy: It's the miles that get you and she's got over 36,000 on her odometer already.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
You had mentioned that sleeves were installed to prevent housings from cracking . I believe the housing is the part that houses the ring and pinion .I didn't think you were talking about axle tubes .

Really? My OP specifically asked "how many D44 housings" had bent or broke yet you clearly knew I was talking about the tubes themselves. Come on now, at least be consistent, you can't take the position that you thought Eddie was talking about housings and I was talking about tubes.

Anyway, it's pretty clear what you think of my opinions, but whatever. Some sleeves, such as EVO's, get spot welded to the tubes (which is one of the reasons I said I don't consider it to be "cheap" insurance because it takes labor that most people can't do themselves...drilling multiple holes in the tubes, making sure not to get shavings in the tubes, installing the sleeves, spot welding the sleeves, etc.). It is my understanding (rightly or wrongly) that the purpose of doing so is to help prevent torsional breaks of the tubes. But like Eddie said, broken tubes just aren't that common. So, if sleeves don't prevent bends, and broken tubes are rare, what is the point of spending money to get sleeves? Certainly they aren't even close to being absolutely necessary.

MTG

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: It's the miles that get you and she's got over 36,000 on her odometer already.

Holy shiznit!!! :shock:

Knuckles is going to curl up next to her this weekend with only about 26K. Hardly even used really.

JandSJK

I like traffic lights i like traffic lights
but only when there green.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

JandSJK

Randomness strikes again OK back to our regularly scheduled rant

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

Holy shiznit!!! :shock:

Knuckles is going to curl up next to her this weekend with only about 26K. Hardly even used really.

Can Smokey form the other side of the sandwich with 82,000 miles? Will you let an old guy join your twosome?

Top Bottom