Not happy with JK.

Skirmish

Well if this deserves its own thread then pretty much anything does. I guess it isn't really it's own thread since "somehow" it seems to have gotten off topic so I guess what I'm saying is that if we do a Wilma vs Betty thread we would have to promise to keep it on topic or it just isn't worth it. Although the JKX thread went to hell and that is one of the more sacred WAL threads so we cannot be trusted.

You people really don't understand. The point isn't the cruise control. I think I have used it twice since I owned it. The problem is all the electronics in ANY modern vehicle. The whole idea is that if I can find an older vehicle that doesn't have to pass emissions in PA. My XJ is 15 years old, and thought I would buy a new vehicle. Glad I didn't trade it in. Sorry to have upset the Ree-Rees.

for real? electronics are upsetting you? :confused: sometimes the things posted on these forums make me very confused.......

andrew-

Last edited:

jkmadness

Sometimes people post things for different reasons (seeking knowledge,anger,frustration,fame ,who knows)on that note let this post be the last of this thread,there are other members out there who need more help.:)

Panda

If you don't like drive-by-wire and/or you are scared of technology you shouldn't buy ANY new vehicle. Personally I love it.

If you think you are avoiding technology by ordering your vehicle with less options you are mistaken. Even a bare-bones Jeep is completely computer controlled. Again, personally I love the added features in today's Jeeps and have many of them. To draw a comparison to how someone wheels their Jeep and the options in it is absolutely asinine!

Then again, selling a Jeep because one thing stopped working is asinine too. I understand the disappointment when something breaks or goes wrong, but seriously... we all need to face the fact that while our Jeeps are awesome; they really aren't free from issues. This is the case with almost EVERY generation. They all have little nuances, some annoying, some bad, and some that are great. If you aren't willing to deal with these nuances then perhaps it's time to buy a Honda.

Just my :twocents:

This is right on the money except even Hondas have their problems too and if you want a rubicon with lockers most of them come with all the extras, if your jeep is under warranty the dealer must fix it unless the mod caused the problem besides if its your weekend toy you deserve the best we work hard for our fun!

jeeeep

Hooked
I love the technology makes things so much easier. Can't wait until unassisted driving is available, set the target and path and no more having to worry about falling asleep or stopping overnight, straight thru driving bring it on! :rock:

metaldemon

I have been an diesel/auto mechanic, a plumber, and a lead production mechanic. I see the problems with new technology, and Canbus systems everyday. Yes when they work, they do wonders. When they don't you have a dead machine. Same thing can happen to the JK. The wrong sensor gets a bad signal, and you have a dead JK.
One of these problems is that Jeep is not going to share programming information. Therefore you will have to take it to the dealer. What happens 10-15 years down the road, and it breaks down. Are they going to tell you to buy a new vehicle?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have been an diesel/auto mechanic, a plumber, and a lead production mechanic. I see the problems with new technology, and Canbus systems everyday. Yes when they work, they do wonders. When they don't you have a dead machine. Same thing can happen to the JK. The wrong sensor gets a bad signal, and you have a dead JK.
One of these problems is that Jeep is not going to share programming information. Therefore you will have to take it to the dealer. What happens 10-15 years down the road, and it breaks down. Are they going to tell you to buy a new vehicle?

No, you move with the times and learn the new technology. What did you modify? I would bet you pinched a harness somewhere. What exactly did you modify on your Jeep?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
The point is, the 2012+ have throttle by wire, which means two things....you don't have the traditional mini servo tugging on the throttle cable and that cruise is entirely computer controlled. This leads me to believe the problem is electronic, which should be easily diagnosed by the dealer, especially if there is a light on the dash of some sort. Cruise in most vehicles is also disabled if the system detects problems with certain systems, including ABS, ESP, speed sensor issues, etc. Did you go wheeling shortly before the problem started happening? Did you touch anything under the hood or near sensors on the axles? Electronic issues are *usually* user created (I created one myself, and after two trips to the dealer to fix it that went nowhere, I figured out what it was and did it myself) and if not, rarely denied a warranty fix unless the owner blatantly messed with sensors or anything of the sort.

BTW, the above assumes you know how to activate/set the cruise control on the JK and you have used it successfully before.

Last edited:

Moochie

The point is, the 2012+ have throttle by wire, which means two things....you don't have the traditional mini servo tugging on the throttle cable and that cruise is entirely computer controlled. This leads me to believe the problem is electronic, which should be easily diagnosed by the dealer, especially if there is a light on the dash of some sort. Cruise in most vehicles is also disabled if the system detects problems with certain systems, including ABS, ESP, speed sensor issues, etc. Did you go wheeling shortly before the problem started happening? Did you touch anything under the hood or near sensors on the axles? Electronic issues are *usually* user created (I created one myself, and after two trips to the dealer to fix it that went nowhere, I figured out what it was and did it myself) and if not, rarely denied a warranty fix unless the owner blatantly messed with sensors or anything of the sort.

BTW, the above assumes you know how to activate/set the cruise control on the JK and you have used it successfully before.

Nothing will change his mind. We've been through this already with the OP. He needs to get a horse.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Nothing will change his mind. We've been through this already with the OP. He needs to get a horse.

I know, just that sometimes I feel bad (even though this thread has a minor scent of trolling) and still want to help the guy. I realize he's an old timer that likes things kept simple (a carb and leaded gas) and that some people don't like change, so I can understand the misdirected rant.....even though I don't agree with it. I have had a feeling like the OP when I had my e46 m3 back in 2004. 19 times at the dealer in 3 months. Paid nearly 70K for a car, and drove around in a 15K loaner for 3 months. It can be frustrating. Couple that with the fact that most old timer mechanics can't backyard fix much on modern vehicles thanks to all the computers, and the frustration can get pretty rough...and Im not even including the BS you deal with at dealerships nowadays. Again, I understand him being pissed, just think it's poorly articulated and slightly misdirected. He should have made a post asking for advice on how to fix his cruise, rather than saying his JK is a heap. For the record, besides my Hondas, the Jeep has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Not a SINGLE issue (1, but caused by me) and it's running like the swiss rail time table.

dahreno

Banned
Do you think he will tell the new buyer of his Jeep about the problem he is having ?Or is he going to let them test drive it and hope they don't try the cruise control .To do the right thing he should fix it first . But then he will have no reason to get rid of it !Maybe all in all he just found he can't afford it .Imagine how much money he will lose when he sells it . I know the first question I would ask is why he is selling it ? Think I would get the honest answer ?

Top Bottom