Not too proud to admit I can’t do something.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I think the spindle needs to be connected to the lower A-arm with the CV shaft installed.... with the upper A-arm & Tie rods disconnected you need to tweek the spindle as low as you can go... then slip the strut over the lower control arm and force the top of the strut into the mount.... prying on the inner fender and strut mount to force it in... probably kicking & prying at the same time.... once the top is in place and bolted.... force the bottom of the strut up to get the bolt in using a pry tool to line up the holes.... slip the bolt in... then jack up the lower assembly as high as you can and pull down the upper arm until you can get a couple threads from the upper ball joint through the spindle to get the nut started.... tighten... re attach tie rod.... done.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I think the spindle needs to be connected to the lower A-arm with the CV shaft installed.... with the upper A-arm & Tie rods disconnected you need to tweek the spindle as low as you can go... then slip the strut over the lower control arm and force the top of the strut into the mount.... prying on the inner fender and strut mount to force it in... probably kicking & prying at the same time.... once the top is in place and bolted.... force the bottom of the strut up to get the bolt in using a pry tool to line up the holes.... slip the bolt in... then jack up the lower assembly as high as you can and pull down the upper arm until you can get a couple threads from the upper ball joint through the spindle to get the nut started.... tighten... re attach tie rod.... done.

I did all that, but couldn’t get the strut bolted to the lower control arm, and the strut was hitting the body. Like I said, I’m over it. All I’ll do to that son of a bitch, from now on, is change the air filter.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Whadda a pussy!

I fucking feel like one, about right now. Idk if it’s because the strut is different. Every video I could find had struts like this...

IMG_1873.JPG

Mine is like this. The sway bar attaches a different way, and that was one reason I was having trouble. The sway bar was keeping it from going, by hitting the sway bar mount.

IMG_1863.jpg
IMG_1862.jpg

Last edited:

notnalc68

Man rule #7: You can't stop working on something until you've tried whacking the shit out of it with a BFH.

Has this occurred yet? :idontknow:

I smacked myself in the head with a rebound with my rubber mallet. Does that count. Today was not a good day.

Ddays

Hooked
I smacked myself in the head with a rebound with my rubber mallet. Does that count. Today was not a good day.

:crazyeyes: yes, that definitely counts! Sorry man, that really blows. Been there too. Frustrating but sometimes it's best to stop and regroup. Applying beer helps too. :thumb:

WJCO

Meme King
Sorry to hear. Any pictures of what you were dealing with? Normally those kits are pretty complete. I also threw in the towel today with my unibody Jeep. I feel your pain. JL in my future as well. On my 4th drink. The struggle is real.

notnalc68

Sorry to hear. Any pictures of what you were dealing with? Normally those kits are pretty complete. I also threw in the towel today with my unibody Jeep. I feel your pain. JL in my future as well. On my 4th drink. The struggle is real.

About 10 posts up. I ran out of time, but it was not going my way. I had the sway bar loose at both ends, too.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
The main reason I want my TJ working again. I did some wrenching on the ZJ and almost burned the whole thing.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

longarmwj

If I remeber correctly, in 2017 the WK2 went to a different strut design verses 2011-2016. I recall a company by the name of Jeepin By Al giving up on producing a 4 inch kit for the WK2 because they couldn't get the kit to work with 2017-2018 WK2s.

There are a small number of companies that make control arms for WK2s, but it is limited.

Top Bottom