OFFICIAL 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Owners Manual - SEE IT NOW!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa, definitely something different with the axles or at least, when it comes to how you mounts the wheels to them. Looks like the JL is gonna have M14 x 1.50 lug bolts that require a 22mm socket and will need to be tightened to 130 Ft-Lbs of torque.

torque.jpg

Sithwindu

Okay, something else I just saw. First, it's nice that the JL will be coming with an optional keyless push button start. Our Renegade came with it and it was nice to have. That being said, I see that it also has some kind of new optional "STOP/START System" feature which apparently turns off your engine automatically at stops. Apparently, this feature is designed to reduce fuel consumption. :icon_crazy:

You know my girlfriend told me she was in her coworkers Mercedes Benz and it had that start stop feature and she found it annoying. Guess it was noticeable.

This is exciting!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

THBLKPRL

Did you guys notice that the Auto 4WD mode is a front wheel drive mode unless traction is lost?

FWD Wrangler. Weirding me out.

Still can't lock the front independent of the rear, and still can't lock the rear out of 4L :(

Edit: Just realized that this is somehow my first post. Hi everyone.

Last edited:

CrazyTrainJK

Caught the Bug
Seems like a lot of electronics on the new JL, Sure want to wait and see the bugs worked out of this thing before I jump in.

Tanktitan

I like it

I think these are great upgrades. It brings the JL into the modern world of electronics. If you have never run with a lane warning system you will fear for your life without it once you are used to it. The upgrades to the interior electronics are impressive. I really like the off road vehicle attitude depiction screen. The auxiliary power switches are a really great upgrade. Physically, it is so similar the the JK it causes me no pause. I am sure we all hope the aftermarket equipment adapts quickly. Everyone said the fold down windshield would be gone, but it looks like it is now easier to lower. As to zipper less soft top, well I have both hard and soft but do not travel with the soft top because it is totally not secure. Why lock a vehicle if you can unzip a window? I also really like the door stops. Just one more torx to remove is not a problem for me. The 2.0 fuel is 91 octane which is a costly fact but we do not buy Jeeps because they are cheap to operate. The start/stop feature is what is called a "mild" hybrid and we will not like that. It is a Mercedes thing and you cannot permanently turn it off, you can each time you start it though. It will be real interesting to see what size tires you can get under it stock.

All in all, I like it.

THBLKPRL

Uconnect STILL doesn't interact properly with iPhones...

Are you freaking kidding me...

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like it has Siri and apple car play integrated into the system as well. Whew.

Looking on page 40 of the owners manual, it looks like the door checks can be permanently/semi-permanently removed, and a JK style retaining strap remains.

doors.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Whoa!! I had a friend tell me to give page 150 in the Owners Manual a look and low and behold, Jeep did in fact keep the windshield foldable. AND, for those of you who'd even care, it looks a LOT easier to do now too. That being said, I don't think I'll ever be doing it :crazyeyes:

THBLKPRL

Whoa!! I had a friend tell me to give page 150 in the Owners Manual a look and low and behold, Jeep did in fact keep the windshield foldable. AND, for those of you who'd even care, it looks a LOT easier to do now too. That being said, I don't think I'll ever be doing it :crazyeyes:

Beat me to it! Only 6 bolts, and the wiper removal.

windshield.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug

All sorts of things, including an optional cargo rail in the back.

jeeeep

Hooked
folding key, looks like they've incorporated features from MB.

not sure about the keyless enter-n-go push button - fob is required to be in the glove box for it to work ...that's like the island of misfit toys for me lol... stuff goes in never to be seen again.

I'd be more apt to use the fob dead battery backup method and just place the fob next to the start button.

Security Alarm is optional? I thought it had been standard on all previous models.

Pull handles to open the door- no more push button! look like they have "passive" buttons to lock and unlock individual doors ...hmm

they've added door checks to keep the doors open, that's actually nice

like the new dash look

hope the automatic climate control is not standard, I have yet to see any FCA auto-climate control system work properly. The ones I've experienced would kick the heat on if it decided it needed to balance the A/C - in 105* humid heat it sucked ass.

8 speed transmission with Auto-Stick!!! :rock: this may be the trigger to buy for me, as many miles as I drive, the 3.8L transmission always leaves me feeling like Fred Flintstone after a long drive.

TPMS monitor shows the level of each tire - no more guessing which tire is low.

AutoPark - interesting, if you shut off the engine and it's not in Park it will put itself in Park - cool. but not active in 4Lo

4H-PT, 4-wheel drive part time high range, interesting

I like how the locker switch is in red--lookout!! Warning!! lol

not a real fan of the Stop/Start system, glad to see they have an option to manually turn it off.

fuel filler door ...ohhhh

Off Road pages look interesting - built-in app. really like the accessory gauge menu. wonder if that'll be available with the stock head unit
I like the idea of being able to connect the a smart phone to the head unit and have it mirror the display :thumb:

media ports! about time!

looks like FCA is trying to get more "refined" with all the features. I do like that they've added more child-restraint features for car seats.

looking at all the changes I fear the market they are targeting will price this out of range for how I use my Jeep.

I hope the base price stays reasonable for a Rubicon. At the high end I'm guessing close to $60k :icon_crazy:

with all the electronic upgrades they're really trying to move the entire system into "software" territory, I wonder if they're pushing to keep 3rd party vendors from creating aftermarket tunes and if so, if they will allow 3rd party vendors to create "apps" for additional tuning.

Last edited:

THBLKPRL

Well, after reading through everything, I firmly believe that FCA did not crap the bed on this one.

There are a few nits I could pick, and a few spots that are a big question mark for now, but overall I am a fan.

JAGS

Hooked
Rear view camera if not already mentioned. Blind spot and reverse warning indicators. Sub looks to be a new spot again. Just forward or rear wheel in trunk.

So many things.

I'm digging the super long read. I think I'll enjoy all the new features. [emoji41]

Swindle

Okay, something else I just saw. First, it's nice that the JL will be coming with an optional keyless push button start. Our Renegade came with it and it was nice to have. That being said, I see that it also has some kind of new optional "STOP/START System" feature which apparently turns off your engine automatically at stops. Apparently, this feature is designed to reduce fuel consumption. :icon_crazy:

Yeah, that's something that's in the Grand Cherokees. It's kind of a pain for two reasons in my experience:
1. Getting off the line from a stop takes an extra .5-1 second to get going.
2. When it's hot, the AC isn't cold while the engine is off. You can feel a noticeable difference in temperature from when the engine is off and on.

Good news is, you can turn it off with a button bush in the GCs. Bad news, you have to turn it off every time you start the car. It's not a setting you can just "always off". Who knows, maybe this is something they'll change in the future.

Tanktitan

Good news is, you can turn it off with a button bush in the GCs. Bad news, you have to turn it off every time you start the car. It's not a setting you can just "always off". Who knows, maybe this is something they'll change in the future.[/QUOTE]

Auto manufacturers cannot put a factory defeat mechanism on the Start/Stop or they would lose the benefit of the mileage claim they make. This will certainly be overcome by an aftermarket enhancement. None of us want to be stopped on a hill or rock and have the engine shut off because we forgot to push the button. Assume it is gone. It will be a hot seller.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom