Oil change

WJCO

Meme King
My 3.8 burns about a qt every 1k miles so I change my oil every 4kish miles with a 5 tire rotation.

That amazes me in that the engineers evidently thought that was an acceptable amount. :grayno:

No kidding. I never understood that one. So on a 5 quart system that the manufacturer recommends oil to be changed at 5k..........when you pull the drain plug, there should be no oil in the pan, and you are still within factory specs :yup:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Eddie had posted up something about oil consumption and made total sense when we have to add more between oil changes.

JeepJeep75

I'm guessing they are comparing new oil sales to the amount brig recorded by the recyclers so there would be a lot of losses from leaking engines, blow by and transfer losses between containers, tanks etc. not too mention traffic crashes and guys dumping oil.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Holy crap I didn't even consider this. Excellent point on leaking engines, blow by, container transfer losses, crashes and retired engines. And of course, dumping.

JeepJeep75

Really, thought you would remember that its supposed to be applied to your frame to keep it from rusting out?! :grayno: The rest is used to keep your attenuator reservoir topped off.

Yea, I'm afraid my landlord would frown upon me pouring oil all up in my frame on my driveway. Maybe I'll go park it in the grass at the park by my house and lube up my frame there where all the kids play. Should be ah-ite! My attenuator is an early model without a reservoir so I just soak it overnight in a bucket of used oil. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji106]

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
It's good to keep an eye on it. I remember reading a thread, where Eddie said Moby had burned a lot of oil, when they had been doing a ton of heavy off roading. This was before the LS swap, though.

Lil Nasty

The LS' have been oil burners as well. It wasn't uncommon to know a couple of guys who were adding a quart every 3000 miles. Might not be common anymore. I know the 5.3l was around the 99-02 models.

WJCO

Meme King
The LS' have been oil burners as well. It wasn't uncommon to know a couple of guys who were adding a quart every 3000 miles. Might not be common anymore. I know the 5.3l was around the 99-02 models.

Oh yeah, there's a bulletin on the 5.3s even for later models. They re-designed the oil pan baffle, the valve cover, then said replace pistons and rings.

ddd.jpg

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
No kidding. I never understood that one. So on a 5 quart system that the manufacturer recommends oil to be changed at 5k..........when you pull the drain plug, there should be no oil in the pan, and you are still within factory specs :yup:

The recommended amount of oil for a JK is 6 qts. I hope your not under filling your Jeep.

WJCO

Meme King
The recommended amount of oil for a JK is 6 qts. I hope your not under filling your Jeep.

Good call. It was more of a blanket statement for vehicles with a 5 quart system. More from my days at Ford. When I worked there, I brought my "theory" up to an engineer one time. He kinda chuckled, because he knew the 1 qt per 1000 mile specification from the manufacturer was really just bullshit so they could easily get out of oil consumption claims.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Good call. It was more of a blanket statement for vehicles with a 5 quart system. More from my days at Ford. When I worked there, I brought my "theory" up to an engineer one time. He kinda chuckled, because he knew the 1 qt per 1000 mile specification from the manufacturer was really just bullshit so they could easily get out of oil consumption claims.

I kinda figured so. Just clarifying.

BobNH

So what happens to the other 41 percent of used motor oil? Where/how is it "disposed of? I have a hard time believing it's just "dumped" somewhere. Seriously, if you or anyone else really knows, please tell us.

Around us here in the Northeast, a lot of places burn it in adapted furnaces for heat. Including the recycling center.

Draconianwinter

Actually if you bought your jeep new then it is using a special break in oil, and yes it is different from what you normally use. Your first change is usually around 6k on that first change. Like others have said you have an indicator on your jeep showing the life left in your oil.

sent from your basement

Top Bottom