Old Crusty- 1958 FC170

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
What do you do about brake lights? Is one of those ports on this to hook up a pressure switch or do you just not worry about it?

Haha! You caught that! I have a switch. I need to go to the auto parts store for an adapter to make it work at the master cylinder.

I'm about an hour round trip to the closest store. I'll grab one on the way home from work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Haha! You caught that! I have a switch. I need to go to the auto parts store for an adapter to make it work at the master cylinder.

I'm about an hour round trip to the closest store. I'll grab one on the way home from work.

That is the one thing that I really like about living in an area where there are so many classic vehicles. My local Napa stocks all kinds of parts and of course, we have a Summit Racing distribution center nearby too and they're open 7 days a week and until 9pm.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
That is the one thing that I really like about living in an area where there are so many classic vehicles. My local Napa stocks all kinds of parts and of course, we have a Summit Racing distribution center nearby too and they're open 7 days a week and until 9pm.

Well I hate people so it's worth the drive away . Our Napa is really good for stocking all kinds of parts. It's closest one. But still a drive!

Anymore I just Amazon it, but they are starting to suck on shipping times.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I hate people so it's worth the drive away . Our Napa is really good for stocking all kinds of parts. It's closest one. But still a drive!

Anymore I just Amazon it, but they are starting to suck on shipping times.

Tell me about it! If you're a Prime member and the item you want is sold through it, then it isn't too bad but everything else takes forever.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Looking good!:thumb: My old brake system is still working but at times off balance. An extra pump or two balances it out. I have been thinking ahead about replacing the system with something newer. Your post is good info for me, I will look into a system like that for my A1.

Thanks man, I really did this for safety. Where I live has big hills and there's no way around them. More efficient brakes is a bonus too.

I like the mental reassurance knowing if I lose the one front or back I still have the other.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks man, I really did this for safety. Where I live has big hills and there's no way around them. More efficient brakes is a bonus too.

I like the mental reassurance knowing if I lose the one front or back I still have the other.

LOL!! Guess your neighbor's roll over and subsequent death had an impact on you :crazyeyes:

M38A1Driver

Slightly.. I'm still not going to wear a seat belt., not that this jeep has one anyway

You have a good point there. The thought of a newer brake system crosses my mind, especially when I'm headed down hill on a steep incline. I did have a rear axle seal cut loose on a trail and lost some braking power when the drum filled with oil. I'm re-building the transmission now. Now that I have seen your set up I think a new brake system needs to be next. Thanks for the information. Sorry about your friend.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You have a good point there. The thought of a newer brake system crosses my mind, especially when I'm headed down hill on a steep incline. I did have a rear axle seal cut loose on a trail and lost some braking power when the drum filled with oil. I'm re-building the transmission now. Now that I have seen your set up I think a new brake system needs to be next. Thanks for the information. Sorry about your friend.
Nice guy, he passed a couple days later. M38 lost power then brakes. He went down the hill backwards and rolled it.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462816688.774187.jpg

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Jeep FC170-1958

Very cool Chris. Can't wait to see the finished product. ;)

Just like any up grade that does real work, it's unseen.. Lol.

This company makes factory replacements. For some reason it's not long enough on mine. Little too tight flexing out. So I added a little length

Top Bottom