P0306 STRIKES RUBICAT AGAIN : Jeep JK Wrangler Cylinder 6 Misfire

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's great news Eddie! Maybe I should bring my Jeep up there to get the seats fixed. ;)

LOL!! You need to get your butt up here anyway. :yup:

Hey that's big time, im sure you have enough mods to try and bend you over and make you pay but that's great customer service on their part to get the work done!!

Like I said before, I wasn't going to hold my breath and I certainly wouldn't have held it against Carson City Jeep had they ended up charging me for the work. I know my Jeep is highly modified and I stopped hoping to get warranty work done a long time ago. I think this is all the more reason why this is a pleasant surprise and one that has made me quite happy. :yup:

Cool. Will I need to re-do my settings or even the settings stay with the procal. Thx.

I'll be sure to thank you in person next time I stop by unannounced. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23]

:cheesy:

Eddie

Out of curiosity both times this happen on Rubicat, what Rpm was the motor turning? Above 4500? Just wondering?

If anyone else remembers when it happened charm in please!

These sort of things peak interest and now I need to know.

The first time around was a bit different and you can read about it in the link I included in the first post. This time around, I was passing a truck pulling a trailer on a long grade and I was definitely running above 4500 RPM when the motor suddenly dropped out.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I think you need to be coming down here instead of using Lithia.

Congrats!!! Great news. I love service work at no cost. Hope everything here on is smooth sailing on this one.

Thanks! As mentioned, I was ready to pay as that's always been my lot in life but was super happy to hear this would be covered under warranty. For anyone who lives up in the Northern Nevada area, I would definitely recommend Carson City Jeep.

@chuck_slayton

That's awesome!!!! I have some great service people I deal with here locally in Anderson as well! It helps when they are friendly and care about the people they are helping!

blackrubi14

WOOHOO!!! :wings:

Just got a call from Carson City Jeep and my service advisor Tom Koche just informed me that the problem IS the cylinder head AND it IS covered under warranty!!! They said they have most of the parts in stock, the rest will come in tomorrow and they will get to work on it right away. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing from him - seriously some of the best frickin news I've heard in a while. :yup:

Awesome news! Glad everything worked out for the best! :beer:

swampdog

WOOHOO!!! :wings:

Just got a call from Carson City Jeep and my service advisor Tom Koche just informed me that the problem IS the cylinder head AND it IS covered under warranty!!! They said they have most of the parts in stock, the rest will come in tomorrow and they will get to work on it right away. I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing from him - seriously some of the best frickin news I've heard in a while. :yup:

So, when they replace the head are they replacing cams, rockers, springs, valves, etc.? Or are they pillaging those parts from the original and just using a new casting and re-assembling? I would assume everything in the head would be fresh, but just curious.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, when they replace the head are they replacing cams, rockers, springs, valves, etc.? Or are they pillaging those parts from the original and just using a new casting and re-assembling? I would assume everything in the head would be fresh, but just curious.

Honestly, I'm not sure and it would really suck if they pillaged old parts. That being said, my service advisor made it sound like they had "most of the parts" needed for this job and would be getting the rest in tomorrow. I can only hope that means it'll be all new stuff going in.

Ddays

Hooked
So when your engine throws that code and knowing that a new head is needed, what are the consequences of driving a moderate distance in that condition? By moderate I mean maybe 10-15 miles.
Would it harm anything beyond what is wrong with the motor already?

Sorry this is rambling on, but what is wrong with the cylinder head that it needs replaced?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So when your engine throws that code and knowing that a new head is needed, what are the consequences of driving a moderate distance in that condition? By moderate I mean maybe 10-15 miles.
Would it harm anything beyond what is wrong with the motor already?

Sorry this is rambling on, but what is wrong with the cylinder head that it needs replaced?

When you get the P0306 code, your engine will go from running nice and smooth to a rough thump thump thump as cylinder 6 starts to misfire. I don't think running 10-15 miles will do much harm especially being that your engine won't let you drive too fast or hard. Long term use can ultimately leave you with a collapsed cat. As far as what's wrong with the head? I honestly don't know but sure hope they do and that they got it right this time around. Sure would have sucked had it gone out on us while we were on the Dusy last week.

Ddays

Hooked
Sure would have sucked had it gone out on us while we were on the Dusy last week.

Yeah, that is what I was getting at. What the hell do you do if this starts when you're out on the trail... Course, out there it may be a hell of a lot more than 10-15 miles to get off of a trail and back on pavement :crazyeyes:
Glad it worked out well in the end!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that is what I was getting at. What the hell do you do if this starts when you're out on the trail... Course, out there it may be a hell of a lot more than 10-15 miles to get off of a trail and back on pavement :crazyeyes:
Glad it worked out well in the end!

You drive it the best you can and rely on your friends to drag you through the harder stuff. You really have no choice being that out on the Dusy, the trailhead alone is about hour away from the closet town and most people typically take 3 days to run it. It really is that remote.

WJCO

Meme King

From what I've read, the issue is with the valve seats getting too hot. Most of the time nowadays with warranties, cylinder heads are replaced as a whole assembly.

Ddays

Hooked
You drive it the best you can and rely on your friends to drag you through the harder stuff. You really have no choice being that out on the Dusy, the trailhead alone is about hour away from the closet town and most people typically take 3 days to run it. It really is that remote.

I know this is off topic, but that is one of the most important things that I have learned here on WAL: Preparedness. We just don''t have the remoteness that you do out West. Experiencing driving across I-80 in Wyoming in blizzard conditions in April, being on the trails in Moab in the middle of the desert, and driving through the mountains of Colorado really puts you in your place. Its sobering when you stop and think about the consequences of breaking down in those places.

From what I've read, the issue is with the valve seats getting too hot. Most of the time nowadays with warranties, cylinder heads are replaced as a whole assembly.

So its ultimately a cooling issue?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This makes a lot of sense. The 3.6L motors run stupid hot and I could totally see how this could become a problem.

DP1120

Good to hear they are going to cover it. I really wouldnt have expected that with it being so extensively modified even though the motor may not have been.

woof359

could be any thing

I had a new Toyota Hilander in last week, code p0303, tried new coil, plug and checked the compression, still there, ordered an injector, miss was gone and then after the road test to make sure it was fine I had another miss on Cly 6, I tried every thing and then I took a gas sample, the gas looked horrible, smelled worse, drain the tank and got new petrol, runs great now, what ever it was it was plugging up the injectors, You never know

WJCO

Meme King
I had a new Toyota Hilander in last week, code p0303, tried new coil, plug and checked the compression, still there, ordered an injector, miss was gone and then after the road test to make sure it was fine I had another miss on Cly 6, I tried every thing and then I took a gas sample, the gas looked horrible, smelled worse, drain the tank and got new petrol, runs great now, what ever it was it was plugging up the injectors, You never know

Glad you got it fixed, but in Eddie and Cindy's case, it's likely the head, it's a fairly common issue.

Top Bottom