People always complain about HOAs. but there's a reason they exist.

99GoldenSahara

HOA’s are basically intended to assist homeowners in maintaining the value of their homes and neighborhoods. I can’t imagine one that doesn’t have that as their core reason to exist, but then, I’ve been lucky and have a very good HOA. Keeps the neighbor from storing 10 broken down cars on his front lawn, that’s for sure. And pink houses too!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
HOA’s are basically intended to assist homeowners in maintaining the value of their homes and neighborhoods. I can’t imagine one that doesn’t have that as their core reason to exist, but then, I’ve been lucky and have a very good HOA. Keeps the neighbor from storing 10 broken down cars on his front lawn, that’s for sure. And pink houses too!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I want old rusted out broken down Jeeps in my lawn. Can’t wait to move away from all the fucktards that call themselves humans.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JBF

My current community has homes that start at 3k sq ft and are built out to accomodate multi-generational families with casitas and secondary entrances. Our HOA requires that every single garage space and driveway space be used before we can park on the street. And even then, we're limited to 48 hours of street parking. After 48 hours, we're cited. Any time after the first infraction, the vehicle is getting towed. My neighbor has a 5k sq ft home with 2 driving teenagers and 6 adults. The kids' vehicles have been towed twice already when there's literally no where else to park. We let them park in our driveway just so they don't get towed.

The neighborhood has since rallied to get the board ousted and are currently in a rewrite of the parking rule.

I fucking hate HOAs

jdofmemi

I swore I would never live on an HOA again, but due to many different circumstances, I find myself in one.

The parking rule sucks. We had a Super Duty crew cab long bed and a Silverado crew cab long bed. Neither would fit in the garage, and if you tried to park both in the drive you had to fold the mirrors in, and get all your stuff out while in the street, or to leave enough space to get in you had to run over the grass, which breaks the sprinklers.

They finally let me park in the street, but every time there is new security, I get a giant red tag glued to the window that it will be towed.

Now they come around on trash day and right up $100 fines for anyone who does not get their trash can off the street by 9:00pm

I could go on, but I would rather do Jeep things

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
HOA's suck. I am about to file a lawsuit (for a client, not personally) against one that enacted an anti-bullying policy. They are using the policy to fine homeowners who vocally and publicly disagree with the decisions of the HOA Board because, of course, it makes the Board feel harassed. I should note that this is for a 55+ retirement community, so the "snowflakiness" can't be blamed on millennials. ;)

Until you said retirement community I thought it must be my HOA. It very well could be the same management company. They recently started with the anti bullying bull shit. Some board members are using it against anyone who doesn't agree with them personally.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Those of you with HOA street parking rules need to check to see if the HOA has turned over ownership and control of the streets to the city. If they have, those street parking rules are probably unenforceable if they are more restrictive than city parking rules (at least they are here in Nevada). Most HOA’s turn over the streets at some point because they don’t want to have to take care of them.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Those of you with HOA street parking rules need to check to see if the HOA has turned over ownership and control of the streets to the city. If they have, those street parking rules are probably unenforceable if they are more restrictive than city parking rules (at least they are here in Nevada). Most HOA’s turn over the streets at some point because they don’t want to have to take care of them.
That's good to know. We haven't moved in yet and will be up against the 48 hour parking rule. Fortunately our new house has a huge garage and one of the few large driveways.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

Had great luck with HOA's so far, including the one I'm in. I don't liken it to a nazi regime (I'll never capitalize nazi) because it is 100% my choice to buy in an HOA neighborhood or not, and it is incumbent on me to research their behavior. If I don't do the research... I have only myself to blame.

For my part, until I live where I can't see my neighbors house, an HOA is a consideration. Coming from East TX, and now residing in Alaska... I've seen much worse than that purty pink house on page 1.:icon_crazy:

JBF

What part of Nevada are you in? I'm in Vegas and I wouldn't even know where to look for that information.

longarmwj

The HOA in my neighborhood is a joke. They don’t like me working on the Jeep in my own driveway. I’ve been cited for having a vehicle with mud on it parked in the driveway. They also have complained because they say my Jeep is too loud, meanwhile the guy next door doesn’t get bothered when he takes his Ferrari out, because the HOA says “loud exhaust noises are to be expected out of a performance vehicle”. I started telling them that my Jeep identifies as a sports car, so a louder exhaust should be expected. They didn’t find the same humor as me.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I jacked up my post so this is a re-do.

This is one of the best responses to HOA's I've seen. Guy got cited for not having a fence in front of his trash can. He compiled. Looks like he might have a Jeep too.

Attachments

• bgiejdi3t5n01.jpg
    bgiejdi3t5n01.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 91
Top Bottom