Pickup for towing

wjtstudios

Hooked
2500 all the way.

I have been a diesel truck liver forever, but the emissions rules have killed the new ones, in my opinion.

If towing all the time I still would go diesel, but if it is only a once a month thing, or something like that, I would go gas for reliability, price, and ease of service.

Everything on a diesel costs more, so think about whether you really need it.

I agree on the emissions making the new Diesels more complicated, but the out right pulling power and so far the reliability after 40k, the Cummins are the only way to go if you are ordering a tow rig IMO. They add up to around 7k to the truck and then pairing it with Aisan transmission, they can drag about anything. I also bought it for the reliability, I put 30-40k on it a year and plan on having it for atleast 5-6 years. A gasser wouldn’t make it that long with out dumping a bunch of money into it keeping it going.

The service on these Cummins are pricey. It’s $550 per oil change every 12-15k and does require the fuel filters to be changed. The Trans requires a fluid filter change every 30k and is $600.

The other part of that towing puzzle is pairing the truck with a trailer. I strongly recommend running a Gooseneck verses a bumper pull. They tow so much better, especially on the long hauls out west. The trade off to the gooseneck is that you loose all the storage in the bed when towing, but I just fill the Jeep up when it’s on the trailer for anything we need for the run. If you are thinking about going to a goose, then order it or find a Truck with the gooseneck/fifth wheel prep already built into the bed.

Good luck, with the hunt

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins the year before last and I love the truck. I towed my Jeep on a couple trips last year and it was like nothing was there. However, I was very disappointed when I did the numbers on its towing capability. I'm sure it'll tow anything I throw back there with ease, but I really had my eyes on a 35ft gooseneck trailer to tow two jeeps and I can't legally do that since my max tow is 15,980lbs. A 3500 single-rear-wheel would have been a better choice for me.

I wouldn't recommend a 1500. My next door neighbor just bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. It's a beautiful truck, but his Max Tow is 7,000 lbs.

Kuboske

I agree on the emissions making the new Diesels more complicated, but the out right pulling power and so far the reliability after 40k, the Cummins are the only way to go if you are ordering a tow rig IMO. They add up to around 7k to the truck and then pairing it with Aisan transmission, they can drag about anything. I also bought it for the reliability, I put 30-40k on it a year and plan on having it for atleast 5-6 years. A gasser wouldn’t make it that long with out dumping a bunch of money into it keeping it going.

The service on these Cummins are pricey. It’s $550 per oil change every 12-15k and does require the fuel filters to be changed. The Trans requires a fluid filter change every 30k and is $600.

The other part of that towing puzzle is pairing the truck with a trailer. I strongly recommend running a Gooseneck verses a bumper pull. They tow so much better, especially on the long hauls out west. The trade off to the gooseneck is that you loose all the storage in the bed when towing, but I just fill the Jeep up when it’s on the trailer for anything we need for the run. If you are thinking about going to a goose, then order it or find a Truck with the gooseneck/fifth wheel prep already built into the bed.

Good luck, with the hunt

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I agree the Ram/Cummins, heavy trucks are the way to go IF, you need one for work. Or retired with a ton of money.
$550, for a oil change? I need to get in that business. My 3406E, Caterpillar in my Kenworth, costs a forth of that for an oil change...

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
550 a change? Dude what are they doing? I buy the mopar package deals through my dealership and get 3 oil changes and tire rotations for $350 and that includes filters and multi point inspection. I take it in every 5k to have this done.

Edit: I know the fuel filters need to be changed ever 10-15 and my dealership charges 300 for that, so that makes a little more since on the price but dang... I think you should find another dealer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Last edited:

JKbrick

550 a change? Dude what are they doing? I buy the mopar package deals through my dealership and get 3 oil changes and tire rotations for $350 and that includes filters and multi point inspection. I take it in every 5k to have this done.

Edit: I know the fuel filters need to be changed ever 10-15 and my dealership charges 300 for that, so that makes a little more since on the price but dang... I think you should find another dealer

I’d admit my Duramax is less to maintain than the Cummins I had. I have to change the oil more but it only has 1 fuel filter that isn’t required to be changed at oil changes, just when it says to, and my first trans service isn’t until 100k

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I’d admit my Duramax is less to maintain than the Cummins I had. I have to change the oil more but it only has 1 fuel filter that isn’t required to be changed at oil changes, just when it says to, and my first trans service isn’t until 100k

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I spend a little more on maintenance because I do everything way before it needs to be done, but I also only put 6-10k a year on my truck so I like to keep fluids fresh and change them out early.

Dale72

Hooked

One of the fuel filters is almost $200 by itself. But it's the one that doesn't have to be changed every time

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I bought a 2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins the year before last and I love the truck. I towed my Jeep on a couple trips last year and it was like nothing was there. However, I was very disappointed when I did the numbers on its towing capability. I'm sure it'll tow anything I throw back there with ease, but I really had my eyes on a 35ft gooseneck trailer to tow two jeeps and I can't legally do that since my max tow is 15,980lbs. A 3500 single-rear-wheel would have been a better choice for me.

I wouldn't recommend a 1500. My next door neighbor just bought a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. It's a beautiful truck, but his Max Tow is 7,000 lbs.

Yeah, that’s what pushed me to a Ram 3500 SRW with a two rating of 24,500. But the ride is better in yours.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wjtstudios

Hooked

Yeah, it’s all three filters. One oil and two fuel. But I got 15k between my last set. I’ll check, but I’m pretty sure that’s standard dealership pricing.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Dale72

Hooked
It does every 15k or when the filter life meter goes off.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler
After I put the auxiliary tank in this one, because it had a fuel filter at the pump I could go 3 oil changes before I had to change it. I got it Nov 1st 2016 with 39 miles on it and when I got rid of it June 10th 2017 it had 98,000 miles on it 20170123_133653.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
After I put the auxiliary tank in this one, because it had a fuel filter at the pump I could go 3 oil changes before I had to change it. I got it Nov 1st 2016 with 39 miles on it and when I got rid of it June 10th 2017 it had 98,000 miles on it View attachment 358173

Damn you racked up some miles, that’s impressive. What aux tank did you go with?

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom