Pickup for towing

jesse3638

Hooked
One of the fuel filters is almost $200 by itself. But it's the one that doesn't have to be changed every time

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app
At my old job we had a 2012 Ram 2500. I took it in because there was a regen reprogram TSB. The CEL had just come on too. The CEL was triggered by the air filter nearly being sucked into the motor. Someone had replaced it with a Fram and they don't allow enough air to pass through it. The service tech explained that all the filters need to MOPAR otherwise your warranty will be voided should something relating to a filter failure occur. She also explained that they had recently had to replace a motor after it sucked portions of the air filter element into it causing it to "blow up". The owner was on the hook for a $25k repair as it was an aftermarket filter.

FFPulley77

Hooked
At my old job we had a 2012 Ram 2500. I took it in because there was a regen reprogram TSB. The CEL had just come on too. The CEL was triggered by the air filter nearly being sucked into the motor. Someone had replaced it with a Fram and they don't allow enough air to pass through it. The service tech explained that all the filters need to MOPAR otherwise your warranty will be voided should something relating to a filter failure occur. She also explained that they had recently had to replace a motor after it sucked portions of the air filter element into it causing it to "blow up". The owner was on the hook for a $25k repair as it was an aftermarket filter.

That regen crap almost got my crew in a world of trouble one night.

We made entry on an attack line and were about 10 minutes into fighting the fire and the pumper went into idle/limp mode. Mind you it’s in pump gear and that should’ve been overridden, but it wasn’t. Apparently when Pierce first rolled out the Cummins with DPFs some of the computers weren’t programmed with the override.

One would think that emergency vehicles, especially fire apparatus would be exempt from that BS.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JKbrick

We made entry on an attack line and were about 10 minutes into fighting the fire and the pumper went into idle/limp mode. Mind you it’s in pump gear and that should’ve been overridden, but it wasn’t. Apparently when Pierce first rolled out the Cummins with DPFs some of the computers weren’t programmed with the override.

One would think that emergency vehicles, especially fire apparatus would be exempt from that BS.

That exact thing happened to our brand new Pierce ladder truck some years back, I don’t recall the year, maybe 09

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked

Yeah that's been an argument since recently became part of the emissions. The EPA won't budge. The only exemption they would allow is a regen override button to be used in emergency situations only. The example I'll use retreating during a wild fire so you can continue to drive normally to safety. However it was explained to us by International that if its used once the truck is shut off it will not restart and that the motor will most likely have suffered irreparable damage and it will need to be replaced. Fortunately at my new dept we run a lot of calls on the interstate so it'll will passively regen.

14ACES

Having had both Ford and Rams diesels. I have to go with fords diesel over the cummins. The new 2020 Superduty with the 6.7 and 10spd are absolute beasts.

bkac

Caught the Bug
Having had both Ford and Rams diesels. I have to go with fords diesel over the cummins. The new 2020 Superduty with the 6.7 and 10spd are absolute beasts.

The super duty 10spds are coming into the dealership constantly with issues. I was Disappointed to see this. And the 2019-2020 Cummins CP4 pumps are failing like crazy. 2021 Cummins are going back to the CP3 pump.

jeeeep

Hooked
i'm rethinking if the benefits of a diesel are really there anymore. sounds like a failed regen can get very expensive

FFPulley77

Hooked
Yeah that's been an argument since recently became part of the emissions. The EPA won't budge. The only exemption they would allow is a regen override button to be used in emergency situations only. The example I'll use retreating during a wild fire so you can continue to drive normally to safety. However it was explained to us by International that if its used once the truck is shut off it will not restart and that the motor will most likely have suffered irreparable damage and it will need to be replaced. Fortunately at my new dept we run a lot of calls on the interstate so it'll will passively regen.

Yeah, after that night we started taking each rig out of service for an hour a week and running the shit out of them down the interstate. Never had it happen again. But they’ve also gotten new engines since I’ve been gone, I don’t know if they are any better.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
i'm rethinking if the benefits of a diesel are really there anymore. sounds like a failed regen can get very expensive

Me too. I’m looking for a tow rig again. I have my eye on 8.1 Vortex 4x4 Dually. Wish I could see gas prices over the few years [emoji51]

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

jdofmemi

Me too. I’m looking for a tow rig again. I have my eye on 8.1 Vortex 4x4 Dually. Wish I could see gas prices over the few years [emoji51]

Sent from Lookout Mtn.

I had an 8.1 in my Avalanche. It was good stock, but struggled a bit with a good sized trailer. I put a cam and programmer in it and it came to life, plus the gas mileage actually improved by 10%.

The downside of mine was the 4L80E. At least in a dually you get the Allison.

14ACES

The super duty 10spds are coming into the dealership constantly with issues. I was Disappointed to see this. And the 2019-2020 Cummins CP4 pumps are failing like crazy. 2021 Cummins are going back to the CP3 pump.

That is news to me on the 10spd transmission problems. All the 2020 I have been trouble free. I got rid of all my cummins because of constantly having them in the shop. From Engine to interior parts just falling apart. The Rams in my opinion are junk. So far I haven’t had to take any of the 2020 Ford trucks in except for oil changes.

J&k_Overland

That is news to me on the 10spd transmission problems. All the 2020 I have been trouble free. I got rid of all my cummins because of constantly having them in the shop. From Engine to interior parts just falling apart. The Rams in my opinion are junk. So far I haven’t had to take any of the 2020 Ford trucks in except for oil changes.

This is all good info on the fence about getting a new truck I like the ride of the Fords but the Cummins is appealing just because i like the big OTR version of their motors.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
And on the 2012's 6 bolts hold in the CAT which makes them a prime target for theft. I had that work truck have the CAT stolen. It was $4k to replace it plus it was so new it was nearly impossible to source one. 2 years later in the same town at the same hotel someone tried to steal it again. This time looks like they got spooked and left it hanging under there. I had the shop tack weld the nuts but I'm sure a Sawzall would make quick work of the exhaust tubing. IMAG1452.jpg

Top Bottom