Please, lie to me- Tell me I'll be happy with 33s

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Touch choice!

I'm on a JKUR with a 2.5'' lift and 33s and 4.1 gears. Have front and rear bumper, synthetic winch, tire carrier, sliders, alum. engine and tranny skid, and PS diffs. Run 0.5'' spacers all around. My Duratracs run smaller and measure out to 32''.

Have been wheeling everything I can here in the Socal area where I won't damage the rig. Signed up for Big Bear Forest Fest in June to try some harder trails with other experienced drivers. Daily driver with about 20K highway miles a year.

Think the jeep looks great but wanting to move up to 35s. Moving up will require some upgrades: trimming stock fenders, c-gussets, etc, trim rubi rails, extended brake lines... Trying to wear out the 33s before I upgrade ... both to get some experience wheeling the smaller tires and to stop the chronic upgrading. Don't think you can go wrong as long as you get out !

When i had my 08 Sahara, auto, 3:73 I put 33s and a leveling kit. Gap in wheel well looked good to me. Then tire size envy hit me within 48hrs.

My commute is 120Km per day 4 days a week. Never any real complaints.

Few years later swapped out the level kit and installed a AEV 2.5 lift with mid width bumper and rear with tire carrier. Wheel well gap was more but "I pulled it off" so to speak with same 33s....35s would have looked better on a JKU IMHO.

Same commute, running a 2016 JKR, auto, 4:10, AEV 2.5 lift, same bumpers and 315 70 17 Mickey MTZ P3.

Very happy with everything.

I no longer pull up to a red light and look at the jeep beside me with 35s and say....dang, I should would have could have...I did. 😉

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Okay, I'm losing my mind.

Still a fairly new Jeeper (09' Sahara, Sunburst Orange), but running out of patience. I didn't have an extra 10k to build out the Jeep I just bought for 18k, and was already going broke renovating house that I've also had less than a year. 2017 was a real financial drain. Lol

SO. Got a couple of new bumpers & a winch, but been putting off tires/wheels because of additional $$$ needed for lift & new gears (I have 3.73s). I'm still few months away from being able to afford gearing, though, and I don't want to miss whole summer of some good offroad trips in the meantime. Everyone likes to say how "capable" my stock Jeep is, but there's a reason so many people are selling their stock 18" wheels with 31" tires on Craigslist. And, no matter what kinds of 'skills' you might have, there's still only so many obstacles/trails you can clear while running stock.

So, getting a little impatient. And it really doesn't help now that I park in between my father and another co-worker every day, both of whom recently got 3.5-4 inch lifts and 35s. Bastards.

This is my DD, and my work commute is around 70 miles (round trip) M-F, mainly highway. That said, I'm trying to convince myself that 33s would be more reasonable than 35s... at least for now. However, I want to build to accommodate 35s.

So, I have the Tereflex 2.5" coil lift and some Rock Krawler adjustable LCA's on the way and I'm supposed to be meeting this local dude tomorrow to buy his tires/wheels. They are BFG KM2 285/75/16s on Level 8 Trackers. He's asking 1200 and they only have around 4k miles on them. And I believe he only has a 2"lift in his pics (green jk).

Am I going to look like a tool on 33s with a 2.5" lift? Am I going to hate my life running BFG MT's on my daily driver? Am I still going to feel like an idiot parking next to the '35 club' at work?

Worst case, I wear these used BFG's out... And by then I'll have money for regear, along with lift and wheels to fit 35s- only thing I'll have to buy is new shoes.

So. Should I pull the trigger on these wheels/tires tomorrow, and go ahead with installing the lift next weekend?

View attachment 299674 View attachment 299675 View attachment 299676 View attachment 299677 View attachment 299678

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
UPDATE:

So, I just got back from Jeep Blitz and I am BEYOND impressed with the performance of the KM2 33s! I did the modified quarry trail and while I watched other JKs sitting on their big ol' 35s struggling with obstacles and having to get winched out all day, I nailed every one of them the first time. Not only did I have plenty of clearance to keep up with anyone running bigger tires on their JKs, but I was blown away by how little effort it took to do it!

There was only one time all day that I came close to getting high-centered and probably could have used the extra clearance I'd get from 35s, and that was when we were just messing around in the quarry after finishing the trail run. And, if I'd hit it with a slightly better line, it would have been a non-issue.

I'm sure I will still move to at least 35s on my DD once I can afford the gear change, but I am not in nearly as much of a hurry to do it now. Bigger will always be better, especially aesthetically on a JK, but these 33s are FAR better than stock and I'm so glad I didn't just settle with stock ties until I could go straight to 35s- no WAY I would have made it through that trail run.

Thanks again for the advice/responses! 20180526_1347521.jpeg 20180526_1336551.jpg 20180527_105304.jpg 20180526_104900.jpg FB_IMG_1527537821942.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm on a JKUR with a 2.5'' lift and 33s and 4.1 gears. Have front and rear bumper, synthetic winch, tire carrier, sliders, alum. engine and tranny skid, and PS diffs. Run 0.5'' spacers all around. My Duratracs run smaller and measure out to 32''.

Have been wheeling everything I can here in the Socal area where I won't damage the rig. Signed up for Big Bear Forest Fest in June to try some harder trails with other experienced drivers. Daily driver with about 20K highway miles a year.

Think the jeep looks great but wanting to move up to 35s. Moving up will require some upgrades: trimming stock fenders, c-gussets, etc, trim rubi rails, extended brake lines... Trying to wear out the 33s before I upgrade ... both to get some experience wheeling the smaller tires and to stop the chronic upgrading. Don't think you can go wrong as long as you get out !
I agree! And that's exactly what I had in mind [emoji16]

I pull up next to guy I work with every morning- he has 2-door with 3.5 lift and 35s... looks like he barely has a half inch on me. Mine looks just as good, and I'm very happy with the capability of the 33 MTs. Tackled some good mod trails like it was nothing! I'll be ready for 35s when these wear out, but no regrets with decision to go that route

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jdofmemi

Glad it worked out for you. Looks like you had a good time, and that is really what it is all about.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
In my case, the first time I went into a 4x4 store after I got my New Rubicon the guy asked me what I planned on doing to my Jeep. My reply was " I'll probably keep it mostly stock". I did want some better tires for snow and ice so while I was there I got BFG's just a little bigger. Did some wheeling...Maybe I'll get some new bumpers... Oh, and a 3.5" lift. Okay. A few months later... 35's... And beadlocks, and 4'88 gears. LOL Did some more wheeling, met a bunch of fun guys and gals here... did some harder stuff... Hmmmm, I think I need bigger tires.. and gussets. I'm now rolling 37's and loving it every time I go out.

I've got a 75 mile commute, not long after I got 37's I decided I didn't want to burn up my Jeep on my commute, I'm at 44k miles in less than two years... no longer a DD.
If you catch the Bug... you'll want 37's or bigger. the thing about it is you can go 37 without new axles and all that entails with fairly low cost mods. I don't remember if you've already got a lift, I seem to remember you are looking at gears soon. If you thing you may get the Bug.. get 4.88 or 5.13. For me the next step is huge... And I'm really happy with my jeep now.
If I knew where where I'd be now a year ago I'd have saved a fair amount of money not buying all those other sets of tires.

Good Luck

Top Bottom