POLL : MORE POWER for MOBY - Supercharger or Hot Cam & Headers?

LT4 Supercharger or Hot Cam & Headers?

• LT4 Supercharger

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Hot Cam & Headers

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • I honestly don't have a clue what either are

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

Strainger

Caught the Bug
I'm no expert, but from what I am reading it looks like you have two options for two driving styles. If you are going to be blasting across open desert the cams sound like the way to go. If you are going to rock crawl it over intricate/huge obstacles you may want the low end torque of the supercharger. Is there a way to have both without the "either-or" decision?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, really appreciate you all chiming in and voting. More cubic inches would be great but I don't think we could fit much more under the hood or comfortably anyway and we just put the L86 in so modifying it would be a lot easier and cheaper. I should also clarify that in order to make it into a LT4, we would need to install a new mild cam, lifters and the like to make it all work. Doing a straight up hot cam and headers would be the easier and cheaper and that's why it's on the table. To do both, well, I suppose that would be the best option but we're trying to be reasonable about things and just do one or the other and then maybe consider more later down the road :)

JT@623

Hooked
Hey guys, really appreciate you all chiming in and voting. More cubic inches would be great but I don't think we could fit much more under the hood or comfortably anyway and we just put the L86 in so modifying it would be a lot easier and cheaper. I should also clarify that in order to make it into a LT4, we would need to install a new mild cam, lifters and the like to make it all work. Doing a straight up hot cam and headers would be the easier and cheaper and that's why it's on the table. To do both, well, I suppose that would be the best option but we're trying to be reasonable about things and just do one or the other and then maybe consider more later down the road :)
Since when did reasonable factor in on a Jeep 🤣 either way you go I’m sure will fit the bill for Moby .

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Reasonable.

4EC96091-5910-4BB9-A640-FC090C6A7E63.jpeg

Brute

Hooked
So, Cindy and I have been talking to Motech and we're wanting a bit more power for Moby... maybe something in the neighborhood of 600 HP if we can. Anyway, the question I have for you is, should we do an LT4 Supercharger OR do a hot cam and headers? What say you?

20210129163659-8da2e227-me.jpg
I would stand pat and bet the house on it...I like what you got already.

2011jk

Neither...both will have some drawbacks, heat will be a issue on both and the IC will block needed air flow to the radiator.
Cam will make it more difficult to crawl technical trails.
If you haven't had it custom tuned yet do that..guy in Sparks knows his shit.

Last edited:

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
Admittedly, my information is likely dated as I have never built or deeply researched LS and LT type engines. My knowledge is informed on more ancient technology (i.e., Gen 1 and 2 engines). On these earlier engines, to make big power you had to sacrifice low-end torque for top-end horsepower (e.g,. higher duration numbers and greater degrees of overlap at low rpm to bleed off cylinder pressure that is then retained as valve events speed up as RPM increases). All of this, of course, is relative to engine displacement.

I would assume the primary factor of consideration is reliability followed closely by your power goal. I would think that your engine would both live longer (i.e., be more reliable) and hit your power goals easier with a supercharger versus building the engine alone to a higher specification. This seems to be the model that GM follows on these engines (e.g., naturally aspirated up to around 500HP and rely on power-adders for anything above that mark).

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Heads cam and blower! You can get 600 easily with that combo. With the blower look at the induction interchiller. It uses the ac to help with IAT and keep the blower cold

Attachments

• F946FE72-F755-4DBF-B2D9-3DB91A36D42A.png
    F946FE72-F755-4DBF-B2D9-3DB91A36D42A.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
Moby Dick - Wrangler JK - A Jeep newly revived. Gentleman, we can rebuild him. We have the hot cam headers. We have the capability to make the world's first 600 horsepower whale. Moby Dick will be that Jeep. Better than he was before.

Betterer, Strongerer, Fasterer

Good thing my dad showed me that show. Good stuff.

Top Bottom