PR44 vs. PR60

TLAW719

If you can afford it I think it would be best to go with a PR60 up front and a PR60 full float rear. even if you are running 37's. IMHO it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. breaks can get expensive so if you can limit the breaks why not. its expensive up front but could save you money in the long run.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
TLAW719 said:
If you can afford it I think it would be best to go with a PR60 up front and a PR60 full float rear. even if you are running 37's. IMHO it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. breaks can get expensive so if you can limit the breaks why not. its expensive up front but could save you money in the long run.

You are right and I understand what your saying but with that big of a price difference it's worth taking a look at. I was thinking of just getting pr44 housing and using my insides from my 44. With rcv's and 4:88's and putting pro steers in it with the stock locker. And I'm entertaining the idea of a trail series 60. I would appreciate some input because I have not heard much about them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The difference is in how it's built. The Trail Series housing isn't profiled for maximum clearance and the tubes used are not as thick as a ProRock. Also, I believe it's only available as a semi-float but, I could be wrong on this.

The difference is in how it's built. The Trail Series housing isn't profiled for maximum clearance and the tubes used are not as thick as a ProRock. Also, I believe it's only available as a semi-float but, I could be wrong on this.

I believe that's correct. On NR4x4's website, there is an option for the Pro Rock Housing Upgrade though. :thumb:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info. After looking on northridges web sight it's only 400$ difference. I know this has been gone over and over. But with 37's and a heavier 4 door would the pr44 hold up. My big thing is the width of the 60 living in the east tiring to fit between the trees. Also with 37's should I go with the full float. I really don't understand the difference other than it sound stronger.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info. After looking on northridges web sight it's only 400$ difference. I know this has been gone over and over. But with 37's and a heavier 4 door would the pr44 hold up. My big thing is the width of the 60 living in the east tiring to fit between the trees. Also with 37's should I go with the full float.

A PR44 will hold up just fine with 37's even on a heavier 4-door. Trust me, I speak from experience here. Regarding the rear, it's hard to be a full float regardless of how big of a tire you're planning to run but, we never had issues with our semi-float PR60 until we started to play on 40's.

I really don't understand the difference other than it sound stronger

The difference is that with a semi-float, your axle shafts do the work of turning your wheels AND holding your jeep up. For the most part, this is fine but, the flanges can still bend due to the weight of your Jeep and abuse that you put on them. A full-float will have your axle shafts just do it's primary job - turning your wheels. The weight of your Jeep will be held up by the spindle. It's not only a stronger setup but a more versatile one too. If you break a shaft, you can still run without any issues. If you break a flange, getting off the trail because a lot harder.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Just found out a little info that I thought I would share. If you go with the cut down 60 in the back you can't get the full float. Like wol and dynatrac said for 37's I should be good. For the front I'm going to go with pr44 and use my built up parts from my stock 44 and use the stock locker. I'm going to get arb in the back. Is it going to be a problem with the switch on the front. I would assume I would have to push it twice to engage the front.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just found out a little info that I thought I would share. If you go with the cut down 60 in the back you can't get the full float. Like wol and dynatrac said for 37's I should be good. For the front I'm going to go with pr44 and use my built up parts from my stock 44 and use the stock locker. I'm going to get arb in the back. Is it going to be a problem with the switch on the front. I would assume I would have to push it twice to engage the front.

Are you referring to a ProRock 60 when talking about "the cut down 60"? If so, I'm not sure where you heard that from but, I'm running one now as is GCM 2, brainchild and a host of other people.

Regarding your lockers, if you're good with electrical stuff, you can wire it in so that your factory switch activates your front and rear lockers. At least, Off Road Evolution was able to do that for us.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I talked to dynatrac yesterday and they said if I get it cut down to match the 44 my only option was the semi float and I could get it in the trail series or upgrade to the pro rock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think he may be talking about the trail version

If that's the case, I believe that would be correct and I had mentioned as much earlier, I just wasn't sure what was meant by "cut down".

I talked to dynatrac yesterday and they said if I get it cut down to match the 44 my only option was the semi float and I could get it in the trail series or upgrade to the pro rock.

What do you mean by "cut down"? Are you referring to the shape of the diff?

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Sorry for the terminology. I mean the width is shorter to match the pr44. I hope that is clearer. Does this not sound right.

Top Bottom