PR60 Vs. Ultimate 60

Looking to upgrade to some 60s pretty soon. Been debating on whether to go with the Dynatrac PR60s or the Spicer Ultimate 60s. What do y'all run and why? Looking for some good comparisons!

WJCO

Meme King
Tons of breaks on the Dana ultimate 60s. Go ProRock for sure. Dynatrac made in the USA with US parts and workers with a patterned high clearance housing.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Looking to upgrade to some 60s pretty soon. Been debating on whether to go with the Dynatrac PR60s or the Spicer Ultimate 60s. What do y'all run and why? Looking for some good comparisons!

Knowing what I know now, and having purchased the Dynatrac Hardcore axle set (PR60 front/ PRO60 rear) I think I would have gone with the UD60s.

The front UD60 is basically a Dynatrac XD60 but with steel knuckles instead of aluminum. The UD60 has the same size U-joints as the XD60, and has the 10” ring gear like the XD60.

The rear UD60 is nearly identical to the Dynatrac PRO60, both are standard low pinion Dana 60 housings with 3.5” tube .5” wall, however I believe the UD60 has bigger wheel ends.

However after receiving the axles I would probably inspect all the welds on all the brackets and re-weld anything that is questionable, weld the tubes to the housing as spinning the tubes has been known to happen, and inspect the wheel ends. The quality control is pretty poor on these axles.

If you go with Dynatrac you most likely won’t have any issues if you just bolt them in.

Knowing what I know now, and having purchased the Dynatrac Hardcore axle set (PR60 front/ PRO60 rear) I think I would have gone with the UD60s.

The front UD60 is basically a Dynatrac XD60 but with steel knuckles instead of aluminum. The UD60 has the same size U-joints as the XD60, and has the 10” ring gear like the XD60.

The rear UD60 is nearly identical to the Dynatrac PRO60, both are standard low pinion Dana 60 housings with 3.5” tube .5” wall, however I believe the UD60 has bigger wheel ends.

However after receiving the axles I would probably inspect all the welds on all the brackets and re-weld anything that is questionable, weld the tubes to the housing as spinning the tubes has been known to happen, and inspect the wheel ends. The quality control is pretty poor on these axles.

If you go with Dynatrac you most likely won’t have any issues if you just bolt them in.

Yeah I really want to like the Dynatracs but the Spicers, at least on paper, seem to have more beef for less money. Bigger brakes, bigger tubes, bigger axle shaft u joints. Idk... I feel like I've been told that Dynatrac is the best but it seems like they have some really good competition with the Ultimates.

Ddays

Hooked
Anyone know anything about Fusion axles? Came across them online but don't know anything about them.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Having run axles from both Dynatrac and the UD60s I can tell you the UD60s are stout but their brackets have issues. Not in strength but in fact they don't weld all the seems. I tore off my trackbar bracket which wouldn't have happened had all the seems been welded. Two friends had rear upper control arm mounts rip off for same reason. If you decide on UD60s weld all the bracket seems and weld the tubes to diff and you'll never have an issue.

Now my dynatracs, ya there is no issue with the quality of build. They are great. This is my second set from them and both were perfect manufacturing wise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

After having bought, extensively troubleshot, and wheeled them, I would not buy the Dynatrac Hardcore 60/60 axle set again.

I'm not sure I'd buy UD60's either given their reputation. I wish I could give you a recommendation, but I can't. If I was doing it all over, I'd spend the extra for custom width XD's, or custom something else.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Couple of friends of mine have gone with Curries. They look very stout and haven’t had issues so far.

Seahawkfan

Hooked

Makes no sense. Dana $11880.00 with "The quality control is pretty poor on these axles."

Dynatrac $12990.00 with "If you go with Dynatrac you most likely won’t have any issues if you just bolt them in."

Benito

Caught the Bug
Makes no sense. Dana $11880.00 with "The quality control is pretty poor on these axles."

Dynatrac $12990.00 with "If you go with Dynatrac you most likely won’t have any issues if you just bolt them in."

I did state how I would address the quality control issue, but I guess people choose what they want to read

However after receiving the axles I would probably inspect all the welds on all the brackets and re-weld anything that is questionable, weld the tubes to the housing as spinning the tubes has been to happen, and inspect the wheel ends. The quality control is pretty poor on these axles.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
After having bought, extensively troubleshot, and wheeled them, I would not buy the Dynatrac Hardcore 60/60 axle set again.

I'm not sure I'd buy UD60's either given their reputation. I wish I could give you a recommendation, but I can't. If I was doing it all over, I'd spend the extra for custom width XD's, or custom something else.
I sold my UD60s and installed the 72.5 wide xd60/pr80. Fixed all my issues I had with steering rubbing on the uds and 40s.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I did state how I would address the quality control issue, but I guess people choose what they want to read

Believe me I read the whole thing. You said one has problems and one does not have problems. Then you said "If you could do it all over again you would choose the one with problems" You Never said WHY. Hence the sense of it all. But I guess people choose to think they are smarter than everybody else .:thinking:

Last edited:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Choosing between the two, I would pick the one made in America that actually has a warranty that’s honored. Dynatrac will stand behind their product and has gone out of the way to help resolve any issues I’ve ever heard come up. The same can’t be said for Dana. I understand on paper one might seem better than the other, but that doesn’t mean it is.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Anyone know anything about Fusion axles? Came across them online but don't know anything about them.

I run them and have been very happy. 60/44 front hybrid and SF 60 rear. Great quality and customer service. I have seen their kingpin front and it is massive. And they have a FF 60 or 80 rear.

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Believe me I read the whole thing. You said one has problems and one does not have problems. Then you said "If you could do it all over again you would choose the one with problems" You Never said WHY. Hence the sense of it all. But I guess people choose to think they are smarter than everybody else .:thinking:

He said the UD60 has equal or better components, and with a little extra work the UD would be better. However, out of the box the XD is better.

Similar to the Rubicon vs Sport argument, a Rubicon is better of the show room floor, however you can make a Sport better with a little work.

Ddays

Hooked
I run them and have been very happy. 60/44 front hybrid and SF 60 rear. Great quality and customer service. I have seen their kingpin front and it is massive. And they have a FF 60 or 80 rear.

I thought you were running them but wasn't 100% sure it was both. Ever had issues bending flanges? I've done it twice now. :mad:

Top Bottom