Pros and cons of no rear bumper

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looks like that is the only option. I saw it posted on the Internet once so I just figured it was true like everything else posted on the web.

Looks like that is the only option. I saw it posted on the Internet once so I just figured it was true like everything else posted on the web.

Oh of course, just like seeing on the Internet that jeeps are good on gas... I like the or fab rotopax carrier

Road_king

I have 35" tires on my '08 JK and have the spare secured inside. I have been running the stock rear bumper and replacing it every few months when it gets really torn up.

I have been thinking about the no rear bumper route or maybe a small bumper that you have to remove the rear frame cross member. I do not have any rear quarter panel armor.

Am I looking at more likely rear damage going this route? Bull Frog and Cake Walk are about the limit of my rock crawling for now. Any comments appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JethroJK

I will look into those! Please post pics when you get it, I'd love to see it. Thanks

I am running the Or Fab Rotopax tire carrier and haven't any complaints. It does what I need it to do. Here is a pic. Let me know if you want others.

IMG_2297.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2295.jpg
    IMG_2295.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 245

JethroJK

Looks good! And you have no rattle or shaking from it? If you don't mind me asking, what's the rotopax carrier cost?

Thanks. :yup:I like it and it serves my needs. I have had it on for about 3 weeks and about 1800 miles with no shaking or rattling. Those are all road miles with only 1 off road trip. Trying to minimize the offroading until I reinforce the front axle after going with the bigger tires. If you plan to install yourself the install is painful. About 80% of the work is inside the rear taillight cavities. So if you have big hands you will not enjoy it.:mad: Also you need a angled drill and a bucket of patience. Overall though it was fun and I am glad I went with this carrier. :thumb:

I paid 663 for the carrier at the local Jeep dealer which was cheaper than online because I paid only taxes and no shipping. So it was 663 plus taxes. :rock:Let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks. :yup:I like it and it serves my needs. I have had it on for about 3 weeks and about 1800 miles with no shaking or rattling. Those are all road miles with only 1 off road trip. Trying to minimize the offroading until I reinforce the front axle after going with the bigger tires. If you plan to install yourself the install is painful. About 80% of the work is inside the rear taillight cavities. So if you have big hands you will not enjoy it.:mad: Also you need a angled drill and a bucket of patience. Overall though it was fun and I am glad I went with this carrier. :thumb:

I paid 663 for the carrier at the local Jeep dealer which was cheaper than online because I paid only taxes and no shipping. So it was 663 plus taxes. :rock:Let me know if you need any other info.

Gotcha! Thanks for the pics and advice on the install. Appreciate it, hopefully I'll be getting a carrier sooner then later so I don't have to ride around with the spare in my trunk area.

Thanks,
Sean

mrmet1983

Hey guys I'm in the same boat can you all post pics of ur tire carrier set up wud love to see what ur all rolling with I'm thinking maybe smittybuilt I hate the idea of those rear corner gaurs that evo needs they look ugly IMO but love the look of the actually carrier but I want one that opens with tailgate and poison spiders is way to much 1600 for an unpainted carrier is absurd they have some balls

RockyJk

Hey guys I'm in the same boat can you all post pics of ur tire carrier set up wud love to see what ur all rolling with I'm thinking maybe smittybuilt I hate the idea of those rear corner gaurs that evo needs they look ugly IMO but love the look of the actually carrier but I want one that opens with tailgate and poison spiders is way to much 1600 for an unpainted carrier is absurd they have some balls

Have you looked at the gen right carrier? It kinda looks like the evo and doesn't use the corner guards

That's what I was thinking! PSC makes some damn good products but they are really expensive for what you get... Wish they would Lower their prices or at least powdercoat them

DallasJKU

I run the TF tire carrier with no problems whatsoever. I installed mine correctly and have a wheel with 4.75" BS and it fits snugly against the TF hinges. I have no movement at all at this time. Only time will tell with the carrier, but I feel it is well made and very solid especially the hinges. I also run the MetalCloak rear bumper. I actually really like the set-up.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you looked at the gen right carrier? It kinda looks like the evo and doesn't use the corner guards

I would look here too. For guys looking to spend upwards of $700 for a tailgate tire carrier, it would make more sense to me to just save up a bit more and get something like this.

I run the TF tire carrier with no problems whatsoever. I installed mine correctly and have a wheel with 4.75" BS and it fits snugly against the TF hinges. I have no movement at all at this time. Only time will tell with the carrier, but I feel it is well made and very solid especially the hinges.

Yeah yeah yeah, you're awesome, have 4.75" of back spacing and because of it, were able to install your $700 tire carrier without any jiggling of the spare, we got it. I still have yet to see a single tailgate fail at the hinges but, it if helps you to sleep better at night having this thing installed on your Jeep, more power to you :thumb:

For everyone else who might be running less back spacing or bead locks with 3.5" of back spacing, you might want to look at something else as you won't be able to install your spare right.

I also run the MetalCloak rear bumper. I actually really like the set-up.

So long as you like it, that's all that matters. :yup:

TacPen

Banned
I run the TF tire carrier with no problems whatsoever. I installed mine correctly and have a wheel with 4.75" BS and it fits snugly against the TF hinges. I have no movement at all at this time. Only time will tell with the carrier, but I feel it is well made and very solid especially the hinges. I also run the MetalCloak rear bumper. I actually really like the set-up.

Looks like a really clean setup. Is there a way to mount a Hi-Lift to that anywhere?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have the genright steel carrier and have been very happy so far with it. I just recently went bumperless as well which I wanted to do in the beginning. I did this to save weight and get a better departure angle. I liked the genright due to the tire being inside rather than outside like the orfab one. I would have went evo but didnt think I needed something on that level yet since I am only running 35s and wont go over a 37...eventhough the genright is rated to hold a 40 when you flip the mount up. I have no rattles or anything and this carrier does work with a stock wheel which is nice. I also like how it matches the tubing size of my evo stinger. I went steel for the price as well, it doesnt weight too much more than the alum.

only "decent" pics I have, need to take a better one

d-ring install 2 by .:hinrichs:., on Flickr

forklift 2 by .:hinrichs:., on Flickr

I have the genright steel carrier and have been very happy so far with it. I just recently went bumperless as well which I wanted to do in the beginning. I did this to save weight and get a better departure angle. I liked the genright due to the tire being inside rather than outside like the orfab one. I would have went evo but didnt think I needed something on that level yet since I am only running 35s and wont go over a 37...eventhough the genright is rated to hold a 40 when you flip the mount up. I have no rattles or anything and this carrier does work with a stock wheel which is nice. I also like how it matches the tubing size of my evo stinger. I went steel for the price as well, it doesnt weight too much more than the alum.

only "decent" pics I have, need to take a better one

d-ring install 2 by .:hinrichs:., on Flickr

forklift 2 by .:hinrichs:., on Flickr

Looks good! If you don't mind me asking, how much does one of those run? Post pics bumper less too !

Thanks for your Input. I don't think I will have any problems with the teraflex carrier and a 35" tire. I wouldn't want to put a 40" on it but I never will need to.

Top Bottom