Pros and cons of no rear bumper

crowrb29

That's the route I would probably go in the end if I did end up going bumperless. I guess my primary concern would be coming off of a rock and somehow smashing this portion of the body on either side.

IMG_1475607123.918809.jpg

Not my photo. Just used it to describe better what one talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
That's the route I would probably go in the end if I did end up going bumperless. I guess my primary concern would be coming off of a rock and somehow smashing this portion of the body on either side.

View attachment 225619

Not my photo. Just used it to describe better what one talking about.

That's why corner armor would be a better fit for running bumper less. You can even have small bumpers welded on the bottoms of the corner armor in the area you pictured. EVO manufacturing has bone so for others and would not be hard to do yourself. Look at highoctane's build thread, he has it done. Only one I can remember off hand being that I just recently seen his rig in person. I will go this route while I continue to run bumper less.

Draconianwinter

Hmmm personally I would say put a bumper if it is your daily. That's just me. I like having one back there, though the plastic one with that thin metal insert is probably not much better than no bumper lol. Keep in mind I have a 2dr so I weigh allot less than someone with a 4dr. I am going with the psc bumper carrier combo. If I was going with a body mounted I would go with the evo as honestly it just looks better built. But since I am going with a steel bumper the cost for me is about the same either way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

That Metal Cloak rear bumper looks terrible. The lines on it make it look like that thing isn't even made for a JK ... Just sayin'.
I was looking at the metal cloak bumper and every picture I saw it doesn't look good at all for the jk. You're are right about that, but I noticed all the pictures, and maybe it is just me, but they look like the bumper angled to the inside of the jeep.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
On a trail rig, I'd run bumperless. With the idiot drivers here in Northern VA who spend more time looking at their phones than out the windshield, I'll take 190 pounds of 1/4" steel for when I get ass punched by a prius (ACE bumper/carrier).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I've been running bumperless for quite some time now and have yet to smash the bottom of the quarter panel. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so that might explain things.

crowrb29

I've been running bumperless for quite some time now and have yet to smash the bottom of the quarter panel. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so that might explain things.

Lol. That's what I was thinking about. All the people I know of that don't run a rear bumper wheel pretty hard.

5280Sapper

My thoughts are if you have smashed that quarter panel the actions leading up to it were likely very wrong!

Top Bottom