Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Started the process to rebuild the basement.

Had a slight water issue in the past so fixed the landscaping and now repairing the damage of 50 years and water ingress.

First up, filling the “cracks” I went through 3 10lb buckets of Drylok hydraulic cement. Had I known there was this many issues to the point I damn near filled every single block edge I likely would’ve looked into other options but here we are

IMG_7781.jpg
61664311123__4D582741-CA81-4E80-9575-B1A2171C5138.jpg
IMG_7812.jpg
IMG_7813.jpg
IMG_7815.jpg

Drylok extreme water sealing wall paint. This shit has to be brushed on to form a good seal with no pinholes. And a min of 2 coats. This was a bitch. And I still have one small wall to finish, other project timeline took priority.
61688004055__4342E769-009E-4C52-8305-A1FE40DB8F0F.jpg
IMG_7826.jpg

Bedroom remodel, this house had a small crappy basement bedroom with a nasty drop ceiling gross carpet and like no insulation. Ripped the ceiling down. Redid most of the wiring, insulated and did the ceiling as well for some noise reduction. Ripped out the carpet and tack strips. Then dry walled the ceiling today and first coat of mud (I’m not good at drywall so it’s not gonna be perfect. ) I screwed it directly to 50 year old floor joists that are not level with each other but did what I could. Debated adding drop down 2x4 pieces to level it but I wanted maximum height because it’s a short basement. You can see top of the walls where the ugly paint used to be I gained about 4” of height from where the drop ceiling was.
IMG_7830.jpg
IMG_7837.jpg
IMG_7842.jpg

Tore all this ugly out.
IMG_7846.jpg

Ditched the old fluorescent garage lights for these new “canless” recessed lights. They’re like 30 a piece and I love them. They’re super thin, insulation rated so are safe to use directly against the fiberglass. Have selectable color temperature so you can pick your favorite, and are held in place with 2 spring clips just cut a 6” circle and push them in. 1000 lumens each this room is about 15x15 and I’m gonna have to put a dimmer switch in. 🤣
IMG_7839.jpg
IMG_7840.jpg
IMG_7841.jpg

IMG_7847.jpg
IMG_7848.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_7873.jpg

Next up multiple coats of mud til I give up on being flatter and some sanding. Then some crown moulding of some sort is going up around the ceiling to help the transition to the panel walls and I’ll coat everything with primer and then walls get a light gray. Have vinyl plank floating floor to drop down as well. Will eventually get a egress window down the line, but I’m contracting that out down the line. Hard pass on doing that myself.

Few more days to finish bedroom then I get to start project #3, putting a bathroom in this corner, plumber comes in a week and a half to knock out the concrete floor for sink toilet and shower drains and run all the pex and pvc and I need to have half of the framing done by then for him to work with.
IMG_7878.jpg

Jeep still needs a steering gear and the ranch’s 5000xs put on, I need more beer. So much more beer.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I spent my weekend down in Roseburg, Oregon helping my pops build the stairs for the apartment attached to the rental property they bought, 98 degrees wasn't fun for pouring concrete. 20200721_133338.jpg 20200721_133350.jpg 20200721_151809.jpg FB_IMG_1595496871656.jpeg FB_IMG_1595496873934.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960W using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked

Had a slight water issue in the past so fixed the landscaping and now repairing the damage of 50 years and water ingress.

First up, filling the “cracks” I went through 3 10lb buckets of Drylok hydraulic cement. Had I known there was this many issues to the point I damn near filled every single block edge I likely would’ve looked into other options but here we are

View attachment 350596
View attachment 350597
View attachment 350598
View attachment 350600
View attachment 350599

Drylok extreme water sealing wall paint. This shit has to be brushed on to form a good seal with no pinholes. And a min of 2 coats. This was a bitch. And I still have one small wall to finish, other project timeline took priority.
View attachment 350601
View attachment 350602

Bedroom remodel, this house had a small crappy basement bedroom with a nasty drop ceiling gross carpet and like no insulation. Ripped the ceiling down. Redid most of the wiring, insulated and did the ceiling as well for some noise reduction. Ripped out the carpet and tack strips. Then dry walled the ceiling today and first coat of mud (I’m not good at drywall so it’s not gonna be perfect. ) I screwed it directly to 50 year old floor joists that are not level with each other but did what I could. Debated adding drop down 2x4 pieces to level it but I wanted maximum height because it’s a short basement. You can see top of the walls where the ugly paint used to be I gained about 4” of height from where the drop ceiling was.
View attachment 350603
View attachment 350604
View attachment 350605

Tore all this ugly out.
View attachment 350609

Ditched the old fluorescent garage lights for these new “canless” recessed lights. They’re like 30 a piece and I love them. They’re super thin, insulation rated so are safe to use directly against the fiberglass. Have selectable color temperature so you can pick your favorite, and are held in place with 2 spring clips just cut a 6” circle and push them in. 1000 lumens each this room is about 15x15 and I’m gonna have to put a dimmer switch in. 🤣
View attachment 350606
View attachment 350607
View attachment 350608

View attachment 350610
View attachment 350611
View attachment 350612
View attachment 350613

Next up multiple coats of mud til I give up on being flatter and some sanding. Then some crown moulding of some sort is going up around the ceiling to help the transition to the panel walls and I’ll coat everything with primer and then walls get a light gray. Have vinyl plank floating floor to drop down as well. Will eventually get a egress window down the line, but I’m contracting that out down the line. Hard pass on doing that myself.

Few more days to finish bedroom then I get to start project #3, putting a bathroom in this corner, plumber comes in a week and a half to knock out the concrete floor for sink toilet and shower drains and run all the pex and pvc and I need to have half of the framing done by then for him to work with.
View attachment 350614

Jeep still needs a steering gear and the ranch’s 5000xs put on, I need more beer. So much more beer.

Huge project, we’ll done!

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

jdofmemi

View attachment 350596
View attachment 350597
View attachment 350598
View attachment 350600
View attachment 350599

View attachment 350601
View attachment 350602

View attachment 350603
View attachment 350604
View attachment 350605

Tore all this ugly out.
View attachment 350609

View attachment 350606
View attachment 350607
View attachment 350608

View attachment 350610
View attachment 350611
View attachment 350612
View attachment 350613

View attachment 350614

Dang, that's a lot of work, but it looks so much better now. 🍻

duktrx

View attachment 350596
View attachment 350597
View attachment 350598
View attachment 350600
View attachment 350599

View attachment 350601
View attachment 350602

View attachment 350603
View attachment 350604
View attachment 350605

Tore all this ugly out.
View attachment 350609

Ditched the old fluorescent garage lights for these new “canless” recessed lights. They’re like 30 a piece and I love them. They’re super thin, insulation rated so are safe to use directly against the fiberglass. Have selectable color temperature so you can pick your favorite, and are held in place with 2 spring clips just cut a 6” circle and push them in. 1000 lumens each this room is about 15x15 and I’m gonna have to put a dimmer switch in. [emoji1787]
View attachment 350606
View attachment 350607
View attachment 350608

View attachment 350610
View attachment 350611
View attachment 350612
View attachment 350613

View attachment 350614

Just a tip for hanging drywall to uneven framing. RC-Channel, decouples the sheet rock from the framing great for acoustic separation and from my experience the flex in the metal allows for smooth seams. You only lose 1/2" in height.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

View attachment 350596
View attachment 350597
View attachment 350598
View attachment 350600
View attachment 350599

View attachment 350601
View attachment 350602

View attachment 350603
View attachment 350604
View attachment 350605

Tore all this ugly out.
View attachment 350609

View attachment 350606
View attachment 350607
View attachment 350608

View attachment 350610
View attachment 350611
View attachment 350612
View attachment 350613

View attachment 350614

I wonder why cement block basements are so popular in Michigan? I’ve noticed this looking at vacation places. Is it the sandy soil? Seems backwards for all the freezing and thawing. Your project looks great

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I wonder why cement block basements are so popular in Michigan? I’ve noticed this looking at vacation places. Is it the sandy soil? Seems backwards for all the freezing and thawing. Your project looks great

The older houses are, newer homes are mostly poured.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

TrailHunter

Hooked
Cut up some old Home Depot brackets I had and made surfboard racks... I swear every time my kids get a new Hobby I have to build some shit to store it... (I’m one to talk though) [emoji51]

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

You think that’s bad? Look up “Michigan basement”

Just a tip for hanging drywall to uneven framing. RC-Channel, decouples the sheet rock from the framing great for acoustic separation and from my experience the flex in the metal allows for smooth seams. You only lose 1/2" in height.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is great info to have going forward, wish I had it a week ago lol. Ended up having to fill so much mud inbetween pieces to attempt to level them that I’m now debating a textured finish 🤣

Put up some moulding, retrimmed Windows, lots of mud and sanding, lots of waiting for mud to dry. Lots of fucking it up with sanding and putting more on to try again. Not my forte. But now there’s the first coat of primer drying so I can see where all my flaws are and if I care enough to fix. Could be worse.

Bells brewing- Bright white. Delicious.

61724368256__A8C7BAA9-F3BF-4F81-B0D3-0E7F42D77BD1.jpg
IMG_7934.jpg
IMG_7931.jpg
IMG_7970.jpg

Finished ceiling and trim, downward facing lights help hide most the issues.
IMG_7977.jpg

Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
You think that’s bad? Look up “Michigan basement”

That is great info to have going forward, wish I had it a week ago lol. Ended up having to fill so much mud inbetween pieces to attempt to level them that I’m now debating a textured finish 🤣

Put up some moulding, retrimmed Windows, lots of mud and sanding, lots of waiting for mud to dry. Lots of fucking it up with sanding and putting more on to try again. Not my forte. But now there’s the first coat of primer drying so I can see where all my flaws are and if I care enough to fix. Could be worse.

Bells brewing- Bright white. Delicious.

View attachment 350788
View attachment 350789
View attachment 350790
View attachment 350791

Finished ceiling and trim, downward facing lights help hide most the issues.
View attachment 350830

Looks good man! I'm in the middle of drywalling/mudding a 32'x32' garage. Trying to work on my mudding technique cause I too am sick of sanding the shit back off. I'll try to post up pics of the garage in the next few days. Good luck.

Looks good man! I'm in the middle of drywalling/mudding a 32'x32' garage. Trying to work on my mudding technique cause I too am sick of sanding the shit back off. I'll try to post up pics of the garage in the next few days. Good luck.

Thanks bud, turned out pretty okay overall. The only advice I Feel qualified enough to give is thin the shit out of the mud, and if you’re using one of the sanders on a pole with the swivel joint- duct tape the shit out of it so it can only go back and forth not a full circle. If it catches for whatever reason it’ll jackknife itself and gouge the shit out of the wall and you get to start over. (It also gouges the thing it hits when you throw it out of anger too �� ) this is the tutorials I followed for taping / mudding the guy explains it very well without dumbing it down too much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHeDkMN9bQ

Few touch ups to do and I need to pickup some 1/4 round for the baseboard with the new floor in. Then I start framing for the bathroom in a few days.
IMG_7989.jpg
IMG_7985.jpg
IMG_7986.jpg
IMG_7988.jpg

Night and day difference, not too shabby for a weeks worth of work. 7 days start to finish.
IMG_7996.jpg

Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Thanks bud, turned out pretty okay overall. The only advice I Feel qualified enough to give is thin the shit out of the mud, and if you’re using one of the sanders on a pole with the swivel joint- duct tape the shit out of it so it can only go back and forth not a full circle. If it catches for whatever reason it’ll jackknife itself and gouge the shit out of the wall and you get to start over. (It also gouges the thing it hits when you throw it out of anger too �� ) this is the tutorials I followed for taping / mudding the guy explains it very well without dumbing it down too much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHeDkMN9bQ

Few touch ups to do and I need to pickup some 1/4 round for the baseboard with the new floor in. Then I start framing for the bathroom in a few days.
View attachment 350865
View attachment 350866
View attachment 350867
View attachment 350868

Night and day difference, not too shabby for a weeks worth of work. 7 days start to finish.
View attachment 350869

Thanks for the youtube video and recommendations for mudding and sanding! Never hurts to watch another vid. Your room turned out great. Hoping to get my garage close to that good.

WJCO

Meme King

That came out great. I watch that guy from time to time too. He's got good fix it tips.

Elroy231

Thanks bud, turned out pretty okay overall. The only advice I Feel qualified enough to give is thin the shit out of the mud, and if you’re using one of the sanders on a pole with the swivel joint- duct tape the shit out of it so it can only go back and forth not a full circle. If it catches for whatever reason it’ll jackknife itself and gouge the shit out of the wall and you get to start over. (It also gouges the thing it hits when you throw it out of anger too ) this is the tutorials I followed for taping / mudding the guy explains it very well without dumbing it down too much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHeDkMN9bQ

View attachment 350865
View attachment 350866
View attachment 350867
View attachment 350868

View attachment 350869

Hell of an improvement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! Onto the next party.

Finished paint. Moved some plumbing for the soak sink, new location to be determined later. Moved pex lines that were just nailed up to through joists, only thing that runs off pump is sprinklers/spigots the rest is city water. Also installed new frost-free spigots, and moved one that would be blocked by new bathroom to above the washer so can be accessed if the need ever arises. Started framing today, made a couple rookie mistakes, but it’s not structural obviously so made quick fixes.

IMG_8055.jpg
IMG_8056.jpg

IMG_8029.jpg
IMG_8035.jpg
IMG_8034.jpg

Had to get on the roof after I chopped the old vent pipe out of my way (random silver pipe in front of wall in the corner) sealed the top up so it can’t rain into my wall- didn’t know it wasn’t sealed until I started this. Annnnd I forgot my damn Red Bull
IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8083.jpg
IMG_8084.jpg
61802029176__FF01DB9C-A482-42F1-90DE-0577CFB5B415.jpg

Pewpew
IMG_8088.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg

Vanity, toilet, shower
Adjustments.jpg

Plumber coming to rough in and cut cement for drains this week roughly there.
Adjustments.jpg

Then I’ll finish the framing and start really building.
Adjustments.jpg

Yes I still have to box in the window I ran out of 2x4s.

Top Bottom