Rear adjustable control arms - which ones to get.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
So I got my new pr44 front and trail 60 with pr60 housing in rear installed about a week ago. Love them so far. My front I have adjustable upper and lowers so was easy setting everything up. My rear I am still running stock control arms. The pinion angle is def too high in the rear. It's within dynatrac specs since u can go to 18 deg but it's def not sitting ideally. I want to lower the pinion angle so the shaft is straight to pinion. Since I need to tilt it down I need either longer lowers or shorter uppers. I don't think they make shorter uppers so I'm thinking I need to get adjustable lowers. There are many of you folks on here running pr60s in the rear. Do you run adjustable uppers or lowers if only one?

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
I would guess that 99% of those who have thrown down the cash for Dynatrac axles have tossed the vast majority of their stock suspension in favor of replacement adjustable arms or more likely adjustable long arms. You've already dropped over $10k in axles, go get yourself a nice long arm kit and do it right

Heholua

You can get away with just a set of rear uppers, but it's entirely up to you if you want to do both.

ttfhell

So I got my new pr44 front and trail 60 with pr60 housing in rear installed about a week ago. Love them so far. My front I have adjustable upper and lowers so was easy setting everything up. My rear I am still running stock control arms. The pinion angle is def too high in the rear. It's within dynatrac specs since u can go to 18 deg but it's def not sitting ideally. I want to lower the pinion angle so the shaft is straight to pinion. Since I need to tilt it down I need either longer lowers or shorter uppers. I don't think they make shorter uppers so I'm thinking I need to get adjustable lowers. There are many of you folks on here running pr60s in the rear. Do you run adjustable uppers or lowers if only one?

I ran the pr60 with stock rear lowers and Teraflex adjustable uppers for about ten months without a problem except breaking the stock lowers a couple times lol.

David1tontj

I ran the pr60 with stock rear lowers and Teraflex adjustable uppers for about ten months without a problem except breaking the stock lowers a couple times lol.

Minor problem. Haha. Just carry a few spares!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I would guess that 99% of those who have thrown down the cash for Dynatrac axles have tossed the vast majority of their stock suspension in favor of replacement adjustable arms or more likely adjustable long arms. You've already dropped over $10k in axles, go get yourself a nice long arm kit and do it right

I'm running EVO bolt on coil overs and like I said the only stock part left is the rear control arms. So I've pretty much replaced everything also. Not ready to make the plunge to long arms yet.

I'll order a set of rear uppers today. Thanks for the feedback.

Def run longer lowers. Give you a small wheelbase bump also.
Somebody can correct me here, but I think you want the pinion couple degrees lower than the DS .

mrmet1983

I was in ur boat a few months ago I had pr44 up front and rear 60 was on the way I decided to do long arms before coil overs and I'm very glad I did. The Evo long arms make the jeep ride like a caddi. Save up and get urself some Evo long arms and u will be done !! U will love the ride. Next for me is coil overs front and rear

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I got my new pr44 front and trail 60 with pr60 housing in rear installed about a week ago. Love them so far. My front I have adjustable upper and lowers so was easy setting everything up. My rear I am still running stock control arms. The pinion angle is def too high in the rear. It's within dynatrac specs since u can go to 18 deg but it's def not sitting ideally. I want to lower the pinion angle so the shaft is straight to pinion. Since I need to tilt it down I need either longer lowers or shorter uppers. I don't think they make shorter uppers so I'm thinking I need to get adjustable lowers. There are many of you folks on here running pr60s in the rear.

Maybe I missed something but, if you've lifted your Jeep, how is it that you have your pinion too high? Are you're saying that it's actually pointing upward? If so, how is that possible?

Do you run adjustable uppers or lowers if only one?

If anything, I have and would recommend installing adjustable uppers as they are typically what are needed to set your pinion angle but, if you really do have your pinion up too high, many of the control arms out there will NOT allow you to set them shorter than stock.

Def run longer lowers. Give you a small wheelbase bump also.

Personally, I would disagree. While installing adjustable lowers can be helpful to help re-center your axle under the wheel well at ride height, that typically only requires about a 1/4" adjustment over stock when lifted 3"-4". Purposefully extending them to increase your wheel base isn't a good idea especially if you're still running standard coils. The push back will cause them to bow significantly and cause issues with them rubbing against your track bar and really, for no real benefit.

Somebody can correct me here, but I think you want the pinion couple degrees lower than the DS .

On a JK, this is not correct. You want your pinion to be inline with the drive shaft. If there is enough slop in your control arm bushings to allow for your pinion angle to change enough to cause vibrations, a slight correction of maybe a degree is what you'd want but really, that's just to address your sloppy control arms.

I'm looking at it like the OP is saying. He
He has a aftermarket rear housing and his pinion is high ?( or so he says)

Normally I would agree to install uppers to adjust pinion angle (if done alone)

Again .. He has a aftermarket housing. I'm assuming things are different ?

OP .. Are you running a stock or aftermarket shaft ?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at it like the OP is saying. He
He has a aftermarket rear housing and his pinion is high ?( or so he says)

That's what I'm hearing but it would be really weird if it really is especially being that the pinion would be pointing down from the factory.

Normally I would agree to install uppers to adjust pinion angle (if done alone)

Again .. He has a aftermarket housing. I'm assuming things are different ?

Unless I'm missing something, he said he had a "trail 60 with pr60 housing" installed. Dynatrac axles are made with factory control arm mounts located in the factory position. They are designed to bolt right up.

OP .. Are you running a stock or aftermarket shaft ?

Man, if it really is off like he says, I'd have to think he has to be running a factory shaft. The vibrations would be crazy with an aftermarket u-joint style shaft.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I have a reel 1350 rear shaft. I will take a picture later when I get it in out of the rain. I def have too much pinion angle and I don't know how it's possible either. I have a bad vibration that wasn't there before last wheeling trip Saturday. I'll post picture later and maybe someone will see something I don't.

noroad

I have a reel 1350 rear shaft. I will take a picture later when I get it in out of the rain. I def have too much pinion angle and I don't know how it's possible either. I have a bad vibration that wasn't there before last wheeling trip Saturday. I'll post picture later and maybe someone will see something I don't.

Aaaaahhhhh wheelin!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Is that a fact? Did you notice your pinion angle being off AFTER this wheeling trip? You know, about the same time you developed your bad vibration?

noroad

Is that a fact? Did you notice your pinion angle being off AFTER this wheeling trip? You know, about the same time you developed your bad vibration?

I hope your not thinking what im thinking? hope you didnt* twisted his housing?? (saw that happen last week)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hope your not thinking what im thinking? hope you did twisted his housing??

If he had a factory Dana 44, I would say for sure to check the plug welds but, being that he has a Trail 60, he very well could have blown out upper control arm bushings or arms that are bent. Both would cause the same effect.

noroad

If he had a factory Dana 44, I would say for sure to check the plug welds but, being that he has a Trail 60, he very well could have blown out upper control arm bushings or arms that are bent. Both would cause the same effect.

Let hope for the bushings!

Top Bottom