Rear ProRock 60 question

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good to know. I wheel some challenging stuff but I don't beat on it too hard. The Rubicon trail is probably the hardest I'd ever drive it in the future. But who knows haha

Honestly, I would save your money and just wheel with what you've got until or unless you find an actual need to make the upgrade. And really, if I could guess, that will never happen.

WJCO

Meme King
Personally, I would talk to Dynatrac directly as they will be the most informed. Also, when you get an axle from them, you are getting it "BUILT" by their highly trained and skilled technicians. Yes, it will cost a bit more but at least it won't be built by a joe blow mechanic at a vendor shop that just happens to know how to install parts.

Does Dynatrac build Pr44s too? I was under the impression that they only sold the housing. If so, that may be the route I go if I do a PR. The coil buckets are near impossible to find for the WJ, but I think I found some that may work. I would have to send them to Dynatrac.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Thanks Eddie! Full float is the way I'm leaning!

Thanks again. Who are the outfits you recommend working with for purchase that don't mind answering questions?

Coop, besides Dynatrac, I worked with Drew at ORE. However, since I understand you are pretty far, maybe Dynatrac is the best. I called Dynatrac a couple of times also and they were very helpful, so I mirror what Eddy said.

I went with a Dynatrac XD60 rear, which is an PR60 full-float gone full retard with stronger and slightly lighter characteristics. It can be considered overkill, but I figured "Hey, THAT part of the build is DONE".

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Does Dynatrac build Pr44s too? I was under the impression that they only sold the housing. If so, that may be the route I go if I do a PR. The coil buckets are near impossible to find for the WJ, but I think I found some that may work. I would have to send them to Dynatrac.

Colorado friend, they build the PR44 no problem, such the route I went with mine. I got everything I wanted complete with Dyntrac Ball joints, ARB locker, gearing, 35 spline axle shafts, everything. Very happy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! I know that's what some vendors would like guys like you to believe. Yes, Dynatrac builds and sells all their own axles including PR44's. Vendors do buy housings from Dynatrac and will assemble them for you cheaper.

WJCO

Meme King
Colorado friend, they build the PR44 no problem, such the route I went with mine. I got everything I wanted complete with Dyntrac Ball joints, ARB locker, gearing, 35 spline axle shafts, everything. Very happy.

Wow. Very cool. That is the route I'll go if I ever get one. I already contacted them once and was told they'd be unable to build one for a WJ due to not having coil perches. But since then, I've found a company that builds the perches and provides very detailed specs on where to weld them, caster settings, etc. I've been considering buying a PR housing and building it myself but would really prefer someone else to. Thanks for the good news.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. Very cool. That is the route I'll go if I ever get one. I already contacted them once and was told they'd be unable to build one for a WJ due to not having coil perches. But since then, I've found a company that builds the perches and provides very detailed specs on where to weld them, caster settings, etc. I've been considering buying a PR housing and building it myself but would really prefer someone else to. Thanks for the good news.

The mounts and perches is something you would have to address but you could always have the axle built and the internals assembled without the them. Basically, a clean slate to have the shop you found add them on.

WJCO

Meme King
LOL!! I know that's what some vendors would like guys like you to believe. Yes, Dynatrac builds and sells all their own axles including PR44's. Vendors do buy housings from Dynatrac and will assemble them for you cheaper.

I would rather go directly through Dynatrac, the source. My other option was to have Dynatrac send me the housing, I weld on the coil perches, and then have trailjeeps do the gears and axles since they're right down the road from me. Other issue is I will have to use JK knuckles and brakes then too. Lots to think about.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would rather go directly through Dynatrac, the source. My other option was to have Dynatrac send me the housing, I weld on the coil perches, and then have trailjeeps do the gears and axles since they're right down the road from me. Other issue is I will have to use JK knuckles and brakes then too. Lots to think about.

LOL!! Pretty much just said the same thing :crazyeyes:

WJCO

Meme King
The mounts and perches is something you would have to address but you could always have the axle built and the internals assembled without the them. Basically, a clean slate to have the shop you found add them on.

Yep that's another option too. Being that I just re-geared the 30, I will keep my current setup for now. But if it breaks.... I will definitely be going to a 44 and would choose the prorock.

Jackal01

Would an XD60 work for 37s and a V8 in yalls opinion? I recently spoke to Dynatrac and they were positive an XD60 rear and PR44 front would suffice with a LS and 37s. I realize an XD60/PR60 front, in the grand scheme of axle and motor swap, is only a few thousand more than a PR44 and a little more for the PR80 from a 60. Perhaps the XD60 is too new to judge if it is good for this setup? Just weighing options as a front axle is hopefully going to happen in the next 12 months.

Of course it is subjective based on driving habits and trails.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep that's another option too. Being that I just re-geared the 30, I will keep my current setup for now. But if it breaks.... I will definitely be going to a 44 and would choose the prorock.

With how light your WJ is, the size tires you're running and the type of wheeling you probably do, I'd have to bet that you'll be fine with your Dana 30 for a long time to come.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would an XD60 work for 37s and a V8 in yalls opinion? I recently spoke to Dynatrac and they were positive an XD60 rear and PR44 front would suffice with a LS and 37s. I realize an XD60/PR60 front, in the grand scheme of axle and motor swap, is only a few thousand more than a PR44 and a little more for the PR80 from a 60. Perhaps the XD60 is too new to judge if it is good for this setup? Just weighing options as a front axle is hopefully going to happen in the next 12 months.

What I can tell you is that the amount of bombing across the desert or throttling up big ledges you do will determine your axle needs way more than ANY rock crawling you could ever hope to do.

Jackal01

What I can tell you is that the amount of bombing across the desert or throttling up big ledges you do will determine your axle needs way more than ANY rock crawling you could ever hope to do.

Makes sense. Deserts aren't really my thing. The latter is what I would be building it for.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

My situation is that I will be doing a lot of desert driving and want to go a little faster. I will be running 37's but just a stock 3.6. Only time will tell if my decision to go with the XD60 was the correct one.

Personally, I would talk to Dynatrac directly as they will be the most informed. Also, when you get an axle from them, you are getting it "BUILT" by their highly trained and skilled technicians. Yes, it will cost a bit more but at least it won't be built by a joe blow mechanic at a vendor shop that just happens to know how to install parts.

What Eddie said. I called dynatrac and they walked me through my pr44 build. I ended up going with rcv's, reid knuckles and pro steer ball joints. And I had the comfort knowing that the experts of their own product was piecing it together for me.

Cubewarrior

Depends on LS I guess... I have an LC9 with PR.Unlimited up front and Dana 44 in back. Only issue has been seals in front, and I bet I was the source of issue with faulty install. I have 4.88 and 37s.

Jackal01

Depends on LS I guess... I have an LC9 with PR.Unlimited up front and Dana 44 in back. Only issue has been seals in front, and I bet I was the source of issue with faulty install. I have 4.88 and 37s.

Of course. Would 6.2 be too much? Your 5.3 would probably be fine. I haven't decided but 6.2 is what I was leaning towards.

Top Bottom