Rear Sway Bar Questions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually thinking back, this is about the third time I've seen a thread on the rear not getting good up travel with MC. Maybe the springs are too stiff. Idk.

More than likely. If they're selling their kit with only 1" of bump stop extensions, it could be because their coils are so stiff, they don't need to worry about over compressing them. Certainly, stiff coils or dual rate or even variable rate coils seem to be all the rage again and it's mostly being sold as a way to prevent the sagging of a heavy Jeep.

WJCO

Meme King
So I did some research and it appears there are 2 different sway bars for JKs. Mine is 7/8" diameter, while I have seen others with Sports say theirs is a 3/4" diameter. These parts appear to be like the springs, in that they get put on whatever vehicle whether or not it is a Rubicon / Sport / Etc I think?
w/ Standard Suspension 68067125AA *
w/ Performance Suspension 68067126AA *

I looked at those part #s and don't see anything listed about diameter. My guess is that you found bigger ones that were aftermarket. Which would be great for stability on roads while turning or towing but would be way worse for offroad use defeating your reasoning all together.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Rear Swaybar & Limits On Flex

Swaybars are great for on road and reducing body roll, definitely something you want. Off road, they only serve to limit axle flex. Everyone addresses their front sway bar with extended links, removable links or a swaybar that disconnects like the Rubicon swaybar.

My question to you all is, does the rear just not limit the flex enough to warrant something similar? I feel like the aftermarket would have served up a replacement part if they felt enough people would buy it to make them money, but the only one I know of is the Currie Antirock one (which is probably identical to the one used in the front). Would quick removal links or a Rubicon syle swaybar not be of any benefit in the rear? That question applies to any type of Wrangler from stock up to an Evo lever equipped model.

Thanks guys

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
My shocks fully extend and compress with a rear sway bar. Sway bar does not limit any flex.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a shot of just how much your factory rear sway bar will supposedly "restrict" your flex.
main.php

Please note that my limiting strap is taught.

I should also note that aftermarket sway bar systems like the Currie Antirock WILL LIMIT your flex. At SEMA last year, I drove Moby up a tall stand so that it could be put on display in front of the Dynatrac semi without any problems. I was then asked to ramp an identically setup JK only with an Antirock - it almost flopped due to the limited flex and so they decided to leave it on the ground.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Thanks, totally missed that other thread! I knew the Antirocks were garbage but I didn't realize they were worse than the stock bars. That's emabarrasing. :grayno:

Appreciate all who chimed in :thumb: You're good people!

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Here's a shot of just how much your factory rear sway bar will supposedly "restrict" your flex.
main.php

Please note that my limiting strap is taught.

I should also note that aftermarket sway bar systems like the Currie Antirock WILL LIMIT your flex. At SEMA last year, I drove Moby up a tall stand so that it could be put on display in front of the Dynatrac semi without any problems. I was then asked to ramp an identically setup JK only with an Antirock - it almost flopped due to the limited flex and so they decided to leave it on the ground.

I love that shot, especially now that I have pretty much the same thing, but with the Currie AntiRock sway bar. I see where the mounts are for the stock sway bar at the bottom of the EVO lever cage. So now I wonder why ORE recommends the Currie Antirock in place of the stock one. Could it just be fitment issues?

As I learn more about the rig, I wonder if my XD60 will have the same hang up and not reach it's true flex potential as it would with the stock sway bar, the limiting straps notwithstanding.

jeeeep

Hooked
the 2015 sport sway bar is larger than my 2010 Rubicon - both Unlimited:

2010 Rubicon with max tow
2010Sway.jpg

2015 Sport with max tow - correction, not max tow, just standard tow package but it's thicker :thinking:
2015Sway.jpg

Last edited:

chitown35

LOSER
Take a tape measure to your sway bar and take a photo of it.

the 2015 sport sway bar is larger than my 2010 Rubicon - both Unlimited:

2010 Rubicon with max tow
View attachment 207498

2015 Sport with max tow - correction, not max tow, just standard tow package but it's thicker :thinking:
View attachment 207499

See, I'm not crazy!!!! Lol. I'll still re-measure mine to confirm, but assuming it is the one that is closer to 7/8", I'm thinking I'm going to try to find one to replace it with unless anyone here has a better idea.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, this is getting way out of hand. I've included a picture of the proper measuring tools. Don't ask me to explain how to use them, I don't have time for that shit.

image_12531.jpg

Top Bottom