Rear Wheel Bearing Out??

meep97

When driving down the road I hear a squeaking noise and kind of a thud noise. I can feel the back end bounce up and down a little too at slower speeds. And when making turns the noises get louder and it clicks. My guess is a rear wheel bearing. Anyone have any information as to if I could be correct?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If it goes away when braking, you most likely have a bent axle flange. Not that big of a deal but to fix it, you will need to replace the shaft.

hoveyjk08

First I would check your rear brakes. The ESP can chew up brake pads. Next make sure everything is tight and the shock bushings are good. There is a good write up on removing the shaft and a few YouTube videos. I've replaced both bearings but I did buy a press from Harbor Freight. Once the axle is out check the bearings for significant wear. I would start with the brakes and bolts first.

meep97

I'm in the process of taking out the passenger shaft right now. If once removed and I see it is damaged, I was thinking about doing the Nitro Gear replacement shafts. They already have the bearings on and everything. Is this a good set up? Also, Non rubi's are a 30 spline, correct?

meep97

Are there C clips that hold the shafts in? I can't pull out the shaft. I got the backing plate loose but the shaft won't budge at all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm in the process of taking out the passenger shaft right now. If once removed and I see it is damaged, I was thinking about doing the Nitro Gear replacement shafts. They already have the bearings on and everything. Is this a good set up? Also, Non rubi's are a 30 spline, correct?

Most any aftermarket chromoly shaft will get the job done and for less than getting a set of factory replacements. I would advise that you get them with the bearings pressed on as it will save you a lot of trouble. Non-rubi rear shafts are 30 spline and equal lengths.

Are there C clips that hold the shafts in? I can't pull out the shaft. I got the backing plate loose but the shaft won't budge at all.

There are no C-clips. More than likely, your rear housing is slightly bent too and this is putting a bit of pressure on your shafts. Try using a pry bar to coax the shaft out.

meep97

Most any aftermarket chromoly shaft will get the job done and for less than getting a set of factory replacements. I would advise that you get them with the bearings pressed on as it will save you a lot of trouble. Non-rubi rear shafts are 30 spline and equal lengths.

There are no C-clips. More than likely, your rear housing is slightly bent too and this is putting a bit of pressure on your shafts. Try using a pry bar to coax the shaft out.

Well shit. I got it out and the bearing looks perfect. How do I tell if it's a bent flange?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well shit. I got it out and the bearing looks perfect. How do I tell if it's a bent flange?

Reinstall the shaft and use a dial indicator like a needle on a record to show whether or not the surface of the flange is even.

meep97

Reinstall the shaft and use a dial indicator like a needle on a record to show whether or not the surface of the flange is even.

I don't have a dial indicator so I can't check it. With everything I've told you, you still think I need to replace the shaft? Anything else I should check that could be causing my problems?

Noises are greater when making turns (clicking popping)
Noises go away when braking
It's on rear passenger side only
Back end bounces up and down a slight bit at slower speeds.
No signs or wear on the passenger side bearing.
Breaks are good.

Army_Vet

Banned
I don't have a dial indicator so I can't check it. With everything I've told you, you still think I need to replace the shaft? Anything else I should check that could be causing my problems?

Noises are greater when making turns (clicking popping)
Noises go away when braking
It's on rear passenger side only
Back end bounces up and down a slight bit at slower speeds.
No signs or wear on the passenger side bearing.
Breaks are good.

I would take his word for it!!! He knows his shit... Borrow a dial indicator.... AutoZone has a tool loan program.... What you should ask for is a runout indicator

meep97

I would take his word for it!!! He knows his shit... Borrow a dial indicator.... AutoZone has a tool loan program.... What you should ask for is a runout indicator

It's not that I'm not taking his word for it. I just want to make sure that that is what he thinks is wrong with it before I sponge out and but $400 axle shafts.

And I live in BFE and don't have a place that rents out tools.

Army_Vet

Banned
It's not that I'm not taking his word for it. I just want to make sure that that is what he thinks is wrong with it before I sponge out and but $400 axle shafts.

And I live in BFE and don't have a place that rents out tools.

Im not telling you to buy a shaft.... I told you he is mostly right about everything and I would get the tool to check it.... Since I now know you are in BFE.... and the problems that come along with BFE....

Time to get creative and make one... or something close enough.

I would start with something solid like a jack stand.... then something rigid and slightly springy like a steel rule 8"-12" long.
Then I would clamp the rule to the jack stand and move it close to the axle... after it was reinserted in the housing.....
then spin the axle slowly moving in the rule till you either determine if its bent or not...

Good luck

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A bent flange is a very common thing on built up JK's. Also, to be clear, I never said that you "need to replace the shaft", just that the things you are hearing and feeling are most likely being caused by it. You can drive like that for a long time but, it will be annoying.

meep97

I just went ahead and bought new shafts. I guess we will see if that fixes my problems.

Thanks everyone and especially Eddy!

BTW, are you guys ever coming back up to Cody again???

Last edited:

Army_Vet

Banned
I just went ahead and bought new shafts. I guess we will see if that fixes my problems.

Thanks everyone and especially Eddy!

Some how; some way.... this is too funny. Good luck, hope it works out for you. Make sure you let us know

meep97

Some how; some way.... this is too funny. Good luck, hope it works out for you. Make sure you let us know

Well there were 3 options;

1) Take it to the shop and spend $150? to see what's wrong with it. Still possibly have to buy new shafts.

2) Spend $100? on tools to check the flange and wait a week to receive the tools. Still possibly have to buy new shafts.

3) Or, just save the money from both options 1 and 2 and use it towards new stronger shafts and believe in Eddy. If that's not the problem, well, it looks like I got new, stronger shafts.

Army_Vet

Banned
Well there were 3 options;

1) Take it to the shop and spend $150? to see what's wrong with it. Still possibly have to buy new shafts.

2) Spend $100? on tools to check the flange and wait a week to receive the tools. Still possibly have to buy new shafts.

3) Or, just save the money from both options 1 and 2 and use it towards new stronger shafts and believe in Eddy. If that's not the problem, well, it looks like I got new, stronger shafts.

Its all good brotha, no problems here. You dont need to explain yourself to me. Just let us know how it turns out.

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
I know this is older, but im currently in the same boat and am wondering if the new shafts solve the problem?

Top Bottom